SASS Wire Forum

GF question for PWB

Widder, SASS #59054

A particular stage has a split pistol scenerio with a long gun in between 5 shots from the pistols.

There is a staging table for the pistols if the GF so chooses to use it.

We all know that the GF can draw both pistols and shoot 5 rounds and restage. This has been assumed that probably 3 rounds were fired from one pistol and 2 from the other.

BUT.....can a GF draw only 1 pistol and shoot 5 rounds and legally restage that 'empty' pistol?

AND/OR.....can the GF draw both pistols and shoot ONLY ONE of them for the first 5 shots and restage both of them with the intend of using the 2nd pistol to finish the stage?

Thank ye much

..........Widder

A particular stage has a split pistol scenerio with a long gun in between 5 shots from the pistols.

There is a staging table for the pistols if the GF so chooses to use it.

We all know that the GF can draw both pistols and shoot 5 rounds and restage. This has been assumed that probably 3 rounds were fired from one pistol and 2 from the other.

BUT.....can a GF draw only 1 pistol and shoot 5 rounds and legally restage that 'empty' pistol?

AND/OR.....can the GF draw both pistols and shoot ONLY ONE of them for the first 5 shots and restage both of them with the intend of using the 2nd pistol to finish the stage?

Thank ye much

..........Widder

NO & YES...

If a GF only draws ONE revolver for a five-shot shooting string, that revolver should MUST be reholstered at the end of THAT shooting string (i.e. when shooting "Double Duelist-style").

If BOTH revolvers have been drawn (GF-style), even if only ONE is actually fired, both may be "restaged" for the second string.

The two 5-shot shooting strings are separated by the rifle string.

• Stage design may allow a competitor shooting Gunfighter Style to stage or restage revolvers between target sequences. If the stage scenario requires the use of another firearm between the revolver sequences or the shooter’s hands are otherwise constrained (e.g., rolling the dice between revolver sequences), the revolvers must be drawn and shot one at a time unless they can be safely staged rather than holstered. In this case, both revolvers may be employed at the same time for the first five rounds, safely restaged, and then employed at the same time again for the second five rounds.
SHB p.13

7. Revolvers are returned to leather after the shooting string.
Stage Conventions - SHB p.20

6. Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered) with hammer down on a spent case or empty chamber at the conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs otherwise (e.g., “move to next position and set gun on table or prop”). A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged.
SHB p.21

Minor Safety Penalties

Not returning revolvers to leather unless otherwise specified.

RO1 p.24

Very interesting.

My take would be this

No, and Yes.

Unless stage instructions said otherwise, revolvers should be returned to leather when shot dry at the end of a string. If only one was pulled, the GFer is shooting double duelist, and a duelist shooter does not have the option to stage rather than return to leather.

By pulling both at once, not matter how they are actually shot, that allows pistols to be staged in the middle of a split pistol sequence.

That's my take on it.

Grizz

Thanks PWB and others.

I was 'thinking' such was the case but wasn't sure.

..........Widder

Aha!..already dadgum gaming for WarTrace I see! :)

See ya there!

Aha!..already dadgum gaming for WarTrace I see! :)

See ya there!

Hey Krazy.

actually, reading one of the stage scenerios made me think of that question. I wasn't SURE of the answer but pretty much was thinking in agreement with what PWB stated.

I'll see you soooooon!

Safe travels

..........Widder

Archived