SASS Wire Forum

wackiest local range rules

Bugler

Hi Folks,

I sure wish someone could explain so this "old blond broad" could understand how:

Athletic shoes are cooler than leather shoes or boots. Seems to me that synthetics make your feet sweat and stink... :o

Baseball caps are cooler and provide more sun protection than a straw cowboy hat. The brim only protects your face, not ears or neck; unless you wear it "punk style" then, it protects your neck not your face or ears. :rolleyes:

How short sleeve shirts that allow for burnt skin without sunscreen are better than a gauzy shirt that would provide sunburn protection without the stickiness. ^_^

Regards,

Allie "who thinks this is 'cowboy action shooting' not IPSC" Mo

Must be a blond thing, Moe. If you give folks the option to wear what they want when it is 115 degrees, they may come out to shoot, a few might even wear cowboy duds. Otherwise most will stay in their air conditioned home. Just think of it as a scheduled practice. Did you ever notice what most folks wear the day before setting steel when it is 115 degrees? Most in shorts, light shoes, short sleeve shirts, and somekind of hat.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Awfiu,

Thank you for the correction:) I was never sure what type of vehicle it was. I know she hates it when the story gets told....haha

Ringer

Thankfully no one got hurt but it is a perfect example of why the unloading table procedure is soo important

Must be a blond thing, Moe. If you give folks the option to wear what they want when it is 115 degrees, they may come out to shoot, a few might even wear cowboy duds. Otherwise most will stay in their air conditioned home. Just think of it as a scheduled practice. Did you ever notice what most folks wear the day before setting steel when it is 115 degrees? Most in shorts, light shoes, short sleeve shirts, and somekind of hat.

If you rember basic jr high health, your body cools itself through the process of sweat evaporating from your skin, although you are right that it exposes them to sunburn and other issues I don't have a single peice of cowboy clothing that allows sweat to evaporate as well as exposed skin.

I do however where cowboy clothes to summer matches, but I am still relatively young and healthy. My attitude might change at 60.

If you rember basic jr high health, your body cools itself through the process of sweat evaporating from your skin, although you are right that it exposes them to sunburn and other issues I don't have a single peice of cowboy clothing that allows sweat to evaporate as well as exposed skin.

I do however where cowboy clothes to summer matches, but I am still relatively young and healthy. My attitude might change at 60.

Most folks that live full time in Az have enough of a tan, I am sure they do not worry too much about sun burn for a day of shooting. I had a nice tan even from the AZ winter until I arrived in the Pacific NW for the summer, and even with the wonderful sunny summer we have had, I have lost much of my tan.

Cannot have your finger inside the trigger guard until the gun is pointed down range. If you do it is a stage DQ. Also, can't have more than one empty pistol out of leather at a time, except for gunfighters. Both of these were at a State match. :wacko:

Yes, cooling body temperature by evaporating of sweat is natures way. Drink lots of water or you don't produce persperation.

Shading skin from the suns direct UV rays by wearing light weight clothing that breaths and/or standing in shade from the sun is very effective too. So cover up the skin with light weight long sleeve shirts/pants/hat

Hi Folks,

I sure wish someone could explain so this "old blond broad" could understand how:

Athletic shoes are cooler than leather shoes or boots. Seems to me that synthetics make your feet sweat and stink... :o

Baseball caps are cooler and provide more sun protection than a straw cowboy hat. The brim only protects your face, not ears or neck; unless you wear it "punk style" then, it protects your neck not your face or ears. :rolleyes:

How short sleeve shirts that allow for burnt skin without sunscreen are better than a gauzy shirt that would provide sunburn protection without the stickiness. ^_^

Regards,

Allie "who thinks this is 'cowboy action shooting' not IPSC" Mo

Well stated, I agree 100%.

First, A-mo and Bad Hand are absolutely correct. So is Gawd Awful. The rule is: "the number 1 cause of body heat loss (cooling) is water evaporating from the surface of the skin." The skin is your largest organ. It is also you #1 SENSORY organ. HOWSOMEVER.... that's where a little knowledge and a few wives' tales start.

As a background, my life's work is outdoor clothing and fabrics. In fact, I have 5 trademarks and a patent pending in textiles and clothing. I've been at it for 30 years. We outfit USNAVSPECWAR (SEAL) SOCOM, police, and outdoor people from A's (Alaska/Afhanistan) to Z's (New Zealand/ Zimbabwe). It has been my pleasure to be the main R&D dude (I got to hunt all over the world) and I AM 60.

Simply put by anecdote; I shot sporting clays for years with a man from Tucson who was in the roofing business. If anyone showed up to his jobs not covered from head to toe, he sent them home to change. Yes, you can endure wearing shorts and a tank top, but you can not prevail at extreme temps. It's important to get wet and stay wet. Unless you are wearing fabric that will do that then it's all evaporating into the air and not on your skin. That means you need more and more water to retain hydration.

It is a wive's tale that color makes a difference unless it's metal. It just looks hotter. Poly-pro is NOT as cool as cotton unless the air is moving because it dries too fast. Look, desert nomads have been covering up for 10,000 years for a good reason. It's that simple. EXCEPT that we are living in a thermostatically controlled environment never too far away from air conditioning of some kind. So we resist getting and staying wet as it is a bit .... unsavory...

Protection is often about more than just the heat if you're going to be in it all day. It's heat AND humidity AND air movement AND... if it's very humid out then you gotta have shade and wind or the index will knock you on your ass.

I shoot Classic Cowboy and I've worn a cowboy hat all my life. You won't convince me that straw is much different than felt and certainly not more comfortable after the felt is wet.

YMMV

Cannot have your finger inside the trigger guard until the gun is pointed down range. If you do it is a stage DQ. Also, can't have more than one empty pistol out of leather at a time, except for gunfighters. Both of these were at a State match. :wacko:

You remind me of something I cover in detail when teaching RO classes...that's not in the book: Don't assume that because someone is a match official, an officer of a club, has a low badge number, has been playing cowboy since the beginning of time, or even an RO Instructor, that they know the rules. Don't even take my word, look it up. I still end up shocked a bit when a match director (or other official) at a state level match still doesn't apply the rules properly...even after an offer to be shown in writing.

You remind me of something I cover in detail when teaching RO classes...that's not in the book: Don't assume that because someone is a match official, an officer of a club, has a low badge number, has been playing cowboy since the beginning of time, or even an RO Instructor, that they know the rules. Don't even take my word, look it up. I still end up shocked a bit when a match director (or other official) at a state level match still doesn't apply the rules properly...even after an offer to be shown in writing.

I think this is not something that is considered open for discussion. It is an extra "club rule" and is announced at the shooters meeting. I just think that a State level match should follow SASS rules and not add in things that changes how a person draws and holsters pistols. But, that's JMHO!! ;)

I shoot Classic Cowboy and I've worn a cowboy hat all my life. You won't convince me that straw is much different than felt and certainly not more comfortable after the felt is wet.

YMMV

Good stuff you posted, Brother King. I was actually taught 30+ years ago in medical and military training that you lose most heat through the head. I recently did research that shows this to be false. Many people believe the adage that 50-75% of heat loss is through the head. This is based on infants. In fact, the US army survival manual from 1970 strongly recommended covering the head when it is cold, since "40 to 45 percent of body heat" is lost from the head. However, research at the Army Research in Environmental Medicine labs showed that there was a temporary increase in heat loss through the scalp in adults to around 40%, but that returned to the baseline of only 7% as the subjects continued to exercise.

So you are absolutely right about straw vs. felt. There are a host of other factors to consider in dealing with heat illnesses than just clothing. Lack of acclimatization, age, dehydration, and a host of medications common to the 60+ crowd are some of the most common factors.

The CDC still says to wear as little clothing as possible, and choose lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. ^_^

YMMV

So you are absolutely right about straw vs. felt.

You guys need to try a palm leaf hat like the Sunbody brand

http://www.sunbody.com/

You can wet or soak the hat, put it on and enjoy the cool.

Olen

Amen Brother Rugged. Brother King, you will never convince me that a felt hat can be anywhere near as cool as a well ventilated palm leaf. My favorite has NO top left in the crown. Wide open to the sun and the stars. I have to keep a wet bar towel in there tho. Or the hot brass from me 73 will invariably find its way in there and burn the bejabbers out of me delicate scalp.

Only about 2 or 3 months around here I can abide a felt hat. Oh well, warn't never planning on shooting classic or BW anyhoo.

Amen Brother Rugged. Brother King, you will never convince me that a felt hat can be anywhere near as cool as a well ventilated palm leaf. My favorite has NO top left in the crown. Wide open to the sun and the stars. I have to keep a wet bar towel in there tho. Or the hot brass from me 73 will invariably find its way in there and burn the bejabbers out of me delicate scalp.

Only about 2 or 3 months around here I can abide a felt hat. Oh well, warn't never planning on shooting classic or BW anyhoo.

Who was sweating more the last time I picked your butt up off the ground, you or me? :lol: If you sopped up the felt like you sop up the wet bar towel wouldn't it be wet, too?

Just sayin'.... it's the water...even out of your most delicate top knot. B)

Well of course I was. I am the sweatiest person in the world. Especially from the head, especially from the forehead. I have to wear at least one sweat rag and sometimes two and sometimes a bandana over that just to keep the sweat from pouring off and dripping on my loading gate at the LT, etc. Year round.

Oh and thanks agin fer pickin' my sweaty self up off the ground. We missed ya last weekend. I didn't fall over this time. :)

Archived