SASS Wire Forum

wackiest local range rules

Bugler

What are the wackiest local range rules that you have encountered? Not SASS but local....

Bugler

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

One I encounted once was letting the other shooters (not the spotters) call procedurals and safety violations.

I saw this once at a monthly match and it appeared to happen often, because they were overuling the TO continuously.

Mustang Gregg

EDIT>>>> Okay---Maybe not range rules. But a strange interpretation of SASS rules.

Pistols had to be left laying on the LT after being loaded until called to the line.

Instead of being holstered where pistols should be.

I know of a couple of places like that!

Also around Houston Ranges you have to wait at least 2-5 seconds between shots!!

Pistols had to be left laying on the LT after being loaded until called to the line.

Instead of being holstered where pistols should be.

What's so wackey about that. It happens regularly that shooters, (absent mindedly), will start to walk away from the loading table, usually to their cart to get something they forgot, maybe shot shells, or to return a loading block or box of ammo, or any number of things, with loaded pistols in their holsters.

Where we shoot it's pretty common to not holster pistols until the shooter on the line is finished or almost finished, and you are up next. That way there is no tendancy to walk away from the loading table.

I do know that there is no SASS rule stating this. However MANY Clubs have this rule and enforce it. Like it or not, there's nothing inherantly bad about such a rule. Prevents many a safety violation.

RBK

What's so wackey about that. It happens regularly that shooters, (absent mindedly), will start to walk away from the loading table, usually to their cart to get something they forgot, maybe shot shells, or to return a loading block or box of ammo, or any number of things, with loaded pistols in their holsters.

Where we shoot it's pretty common to not holster pistols until the shooter on the line is finished or almost finished, and you are up next. That way there is no tendancy to walk away from the loading table.

I do know that there is no SASS rule stating this. However MANY Clubs have this rule and enforce it. Like it or not, there's nothing inherantly bad about such a rule. Prevents many a safety violation.

RBK

I agree 100% w/ Lone Dog... Its a Stupid Rule!

There is a SASS Rule already about walking away from a loading table w/ loaded guns.... Enforce It.

By FORCING shooters to have their loaded guns on the table,

then the shooter must pick up the loaded guns and move them every time a shooter in front of them goes to the line.

Every time the shooter has to pick up and move a loaded gun the risk of having an "accident" is about 10,000 times more likely than if the gun was safely in the holster where it should be.......

Repeat after Me... It's a Stupid Rule!

You may only chug from the tequila bottle when shooting the pistols. Any other firearm results in a cork insertion where the sun don't shine. :o

I am amazed at the replies so far. All that I can say is WOW! :blink: :blink: :blink: Some folks need to lighten up a bit IMHO.

All targets had to be set close to the back berm......

Doesn't sound too bad till you realize that the berm is 100 yards down range.

Three steel sets (1 in each bay)

So in order to play you walked 75 yards downrange to the targets, shot two stages then 75 yards back and 75 yards down to the next set of targets....repeat one more time!

I agree 100% w/ Lone Dog... Its a Stupid Rule!

There is a SASS Rule already about walking away from a loading table w/ loaded guns.... Enforce It.

By FORCING shooters to have their loaded guns on the table,

then the shooter must pick up the loaded guns and move them every time a shooter in front of them goes to the line.

Every time the shooter has to pick up and move a loaded gun the risk of having an "accident" is about 10,000 times more likely than if the gun was safely in the holster where it should be.......

Repeat after Me... It's a Stupid Rule!

It's a Stoopid rule.

I agree that the 'rule' of leaving pistols on loading table is not a good rule. Only MDQ I've ever gotten was when for some odd reason I left the pistols on the table rather than holster as soon as loaded. I caught the barrel of one on the table and it spun to the ground when I went to holster it and get to the line.

No, my mishap is not reason in and of itself to argue against the 'rule' but I see no good argument for it either. Thankfully I've never run into that 'rule' anywhere that I have shot.

On to the targets have to be up close to the berm... try shooting a stage on a 50 yd bay right next to a 25 yd bay that is also in use for the match. That puts where the posse is hanging out about even with the targets on the next bay over. Yes, there is a full side berm in between, but you still get splatter and hear an occasional zing overhead.

I agree that the 'rule' of leaving pistols on loading table is not a good rule.

I disagree with ya here, pard. What do you do when the shooter in front of you says, "Hey, dumba$$, how are you going to knock down the 6 fallers with two shotshells in your belt?" You leave your pistols on the table, slink back to your cart, and load your shotshell belt, while trying to retain your dignity. :lol: Then you thank your buddy for looking out for you, which we should all be doing for one another.

Been to ranges where they insist that you MUST use the loading blocks no matter what. I DO know how to count without using my fingers and toes.

Bugler

PS. I believe that all clubs should adhere to all SASS rules period. No local club things being added but that is just me. None of this ..."Well, in our club we do it this way..." Same rules for everyone all the time.

I agree that the 'rule' of leaving pistols on loading table is not a good rule. Only MDQ I've ever gotten was when for some odd reason I left the pistols on the table rather than holster as soon as loaded. I caught the barrel of one on the table and it spun to the ground when I went to holster it and get to the line.

No, my mishap is not reason in and of itself to argue against the 'rule' but I see no good argument for it either. Thankfully I've never run into that 'rule' anywhere that I have shot.

On to the targets have to be up close to the berm... try shooting a stage on a 50 yd bay right next to a 25 yd bay that is also in use for the match. That puts where the posse is hanging out about even with the targets on the next bay over. Yes, there is a full side berm in between, but you still get splatter and hear an occasional zing overhead.

I disagree with ya here, pard. What do you do when the shooter in front of you says, "Hey, dumba$$, how are you going to knock down the 6 fallers with two shotshells in your belt?" You leave your pistols on the table, slink back to your cart, and load your shotshell belt, while trying to retain your dignity. :lol: Then you thank your buddy for looking out for you, which we should all be doing for one another.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant...

I have no problem with the rule that if you leave the loading table you must leave loaded pistols there. What I was speaking of was a rule where by you must put loaded pistols on the table until you are called to the line, rather than being able to holster them after having them checked.

PS. I believe that all clubs should adhere to all SASS rules period.

I disagree with your 'period'. I have caught grief from other TGS, but I don't let that bother me. The shooter comes first with me, not the rule book. If it is extremely hot, or extremely cold, I will put out in my match newsletter that the clothing police are not in force this weekend. Carhartt is my friend during the winter. :) We follow all SASS rules to the letter otherwise. I am a big advocate of common sense. Common sense is an endangered species in America.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant...

I have no problem with the rule that if you leave the loading table you must leave loaded pistols there. What I was speaking of was a rule where by you must put loaded pistols on the table until you are called to the line, rather than being able to holster them after having them checked.

I did misunderstand. You may now pistol whip me. :blink:

I believe there is a rule against doing that.

(unless it's posted otherwise in the match newsletter).

I believe there is a rule against doing that.

(unless it's posted otherwise in the match newsletter).

I tried to answer you privately, but see that you blocked me. No surprise. :rolleyes: Always with the dig, eh?

Hmmmm, I reckon pistol whipping would fall under "unnecessary gun handling" but what if the person really needed to be pistol whipped? :D

I've been to some clubs that have rules that are slightly different than SASS rules on a point or two. They are mostly based on what the host club considers safety issues, and when I play there, I am happy to comply as long as I know about the variations. It is their 'house' and if I play there, I will play by their rules. But I think that the host club has a responsibility to make those rule variations known to all shooters before the match so that it is an even playing field for everyone.

RBK

It is totally unnecessary and less safe not more so. No less than the Judge SASS #1 has stated that loaded pistols belong in their holsters. Period. Sure if you have to step away, leave them on the table. Most times you do not need to step away so leave them in their holsters WHERE they belong and should always BE unless being loaded, fired, or unloaded. Period.

Shuffling them along multiple times down the length of the table is just that many more times for Murphy to strike. Ensconced safely in their respective holsters Murphy is stymied.

I will not travel to a place and spend my money at a place that has this stoopid NON rule in place. Please make sure to put it on yer match flyer and web site if you have this inane practice.

I leave mine on the table til I'm called up to shoot.I load out of a 100 or 50 round ammo box.So after loading I leave them on the table and return the ammo box to my cart.Besides,I don't need them til called to the firing line.I've been to quite a few different clubs and have no problem with however they require the guns to be left,holstered or left on the table.To me that's a minor thing.

I tried to answer you privately, but see that you blocked me. No surprise. :rolleyes:Always with the dig, eh?

That comment is a violation of Rule (formerly known as) #15.

So far just this year.

No designated spotters, anyone on posse could spot, sometimes only one spotter.

TOs also spotted, and if he saw more misses then spotters, he would call. The "worst", if thet thought it was a miss, it was a miss.

TO over ruling all "P"s unless he also said he saw them.

Rifle targets set out between 35 and 50yds from firing line.

Firing all firearms between spaced bars, 8 to 10" spaced.

Allowing re-setting of targets and picking up brass while long guns were still staged and pointed down range, and once calling a shooter with loaded firearms, staged, pointed downrange, while spotters were down range, resetting targets.

MT

So far just this year.

TOs also spotted, and if he saw more misses then spotters, he would call. The "worst", if thet thought it was a miss, it was a miss.

Allowing re-setting of targets and picking up brass while long guns were still staged and pointed down range, and once calling a shooter with loaded firearms, staged, pointed downrange, while spotters were down range, resetting targets.

MT

I wouldn't be back.

This was an official SASS club?

I wouldn't be back.

This was an official SASS club?

Yes it was, won't be back. But these things, from past years of going to different regions clubs, seem to almost be universal in areas. Seems they carry over. Was at a State match, in which long guns were staged, and shooters, TO, and spotters as they moved downrange for pistol targets, had to move in front of muzzles and were swept. MT

Most of us in this game are responsible and safe shooters. There are already rules in place to deal with those that aren't. Rules like the leaving pistols on the table til you're called to the line are not needed. Remember, we do this for FUN. Rules like that would affect my decision to return to a club.

Been to ranges where they insist that you MUST use the loading blocks no matter what. I DO know how to count without using my fingers and toes.

Bugler

PS. I believe that all clubs should adhere to all SASS rules period. No local club things being added but that is just me. None of this ..."Well, in our club we do it this way..." Same rules for everyone all the time.

Don't agree.........Common sense comes first ;)

LG

So far just this year.

TOs also spotted, and if he saw more misses then spotters, he would call. The "worst", if thet thought it was a miss, it was a miss. My biggest pet peeve is the TO not polling spotters.

Allowing re-setting of targets and picking up brass while long guns were still staged and pointed down range, and once calling a shooter with loaded firearms, staged, pointed downrange, while spotters were down range, resetting targets. Clearly not a safe club.

MT

or place the cork in the place where the sun don't shine :lol: ....:P

Reference post# 12

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived