SASS Wire Forum

Is it me or is it getting weird?

Texas Phil Peeno #50923

Hell on Wheels.

I can't tell if the show is good or I am just confused. Every week there is a blind curve.

Not just you. The show has taken on a dark side, not to my liking either. If it doesn't improve, it has lost Wildcat and me as viewers. Tonight's show was not that great.

Yeah, I quit watching it, too. Just not my idea of a great western, I guess.

You guys are missing out on a great show! I love this series. Best thing on TV since Lonesome Dove IMHO

:) Rye

I watched last night's show and I thought it was pretty good. Although, I do think the story line is heading down a different kind of line than I had hoped for. This publishing a manifest thing was getting a little out there for me....and sending the whole thing via Morse code was a little silly. However...now that the author of the manifest of gone maybe it will take on a different vane (I hope!)

I think it does a decent job of playing out the post Civil War struggles for people, North vs South, Black vs White, immigrant vs native, the beginnings of the industrial revolution, and the Indian attacks. Most "westerns" just focus on the bank or train robbery and ignore these other issues of the time. It still beats tha pants off of Survivor or Big Brother!;)

BSD

I think it does a decent job of playing out the post Civil War struggles for people, North vs South, Black vs White, immigrant vs native, the beginnings of the industrial revolution, and the Indian attacks. Most "westerns" just focus on the bank or train robbery and ignore these other issues of the time. It still beats tha pants off of Survivor or Big Brother!;)

BSD

Yup, it's not a traditional western for sure. It does seem to be meandering a bit and trying to find a central course. Maybe a few too many plot elements. I'll still watch it and see what unfolds.

I like the theme music. Best since Justified.:lol:

I frequently catch myself trying to understand the gal with the facial tattoos and what the idea behind that was. But then again, I did not watch all that much of the program. I guess in the long run, it really doesn't matter all that much.

I frequently catch myself trying to understand the gal with the facial tattoos and what the idea behind that was. But then again, I did not watch all that much of the program. I guess in the long run, it really doesn't matter all that much.

She was captured by the Sioux and they did it.

Nasty Sioux. Bad Sioux

I guess the lesson here is not to get captured by the Sioux.

But that leads me to wonder if the Blackfeet were any better?

(Is it Blackfoot or Blackfeet? I get so confused)

Nasty Sioux. Bad Sioux

I guess the lesson here is not to get captured by the Sioux.

But that leads me to wonder if the Blackfeet were any better?

(Is it Blackfoot or Blackfeet? I get so confused)

It's the Blackfoot tribe.

One Blackfoot warrior, two blackfoot warriors.

The tattoo was an ownership mark as I understand it but I don't know if that's historically acurate or just Hollywood.

The tattoo was an ownership mark as I understand it but I don't know if that's historically acurate or just Hollywood.

I saw an interview with her shortly after the series premiered, and her character was based on a real life person. The tattoo was copied from old tin type photos.

BSD

Well, last nights scenario was okay by me. The "manifesto" was the crazy preacher being manipulated by "the Swede". Subtle message ... give a crazy guy some guns and you see what happens ...

Lots of twists and turns and side stories. With what I saw, I expect Eva Toole (with chin tatoo) has an ectopic pregnancy going on and will die or get help in Chicago along w/Durant.

Good stuff! Now, Copper, is getting really weird for me.

I've been thinking this season is quite disjointed and doesn't doesn't seem to follow a central theme like season 1. Therein Cullen was trying to find the murderers of his family; I don't know if there's a theme to this season.

Sometimes I think I don't even know what's going on; ie, how did Cullen get in the Army brig?; why did Doc bail him out?; what is the real story amongst Cullen, Doc and Elam?.

One thing for sure, they're not getting much track laid!

So many questions, so many loose ends!

I'm still watching though hoping the questions will be answered and the ends tied up.

PF

UB, you're right about the music. When I first heard it, I thought a rerun of Justified was fixin' to start.

BSD, I also agree with your assessment of the show. It does seem to touch on a lot of the post Civil War issues. 'Bout the only thing missing is the reconstruction era in Texas and the amount of damage done to that state by the carpetbaggers.

At the end of last night's show, they said there are only three more episodes till the end of the season! How can this be? I thought it just started. Are there only 10-12 shows per season now? I'm so confused!

UB, you're right about the music. When I first heard it, I thought a rerun of Justified was fixin' to start.

BSD, I also agree with your assessment of the show. It does seem to touch on a lot of the post Civil War issues. 'Bout the only thing missing is the reconstruction era in Texas and the amount of damage done to that state by the carpetbaggers.

At the end of last night's show, they said there are only three more episodes till the end of the season! How can this be? I thought it just started. Are there only 10-12 shows per season now? I'm so confused!

We just saw episode 6? So 3 more would make it 9?? I'm confused. I went on AMCTV website and can't find exactly how many episodes there are! Grrrrr.........

Rye

The show is not great,but it good.

It is better then what ever is on the other channels.

I've been thinking this season is quite disjointed and doesn't doesn't seem to follow a central theme like season 1. Therein Cullen was trying to find the murderers of his family; I don't know if there's a theme to this season.

Sometimes I think I don't even know what's going on; ie, how did Cullen get in the Army brig?; why did Doc bail him out?; what is the real story amongst Cullen, Doc and Elam?.

One thing for sure, they're not getting much track laid!

So many questions, so many loose ends!

I'm still watching though hoping the questions will be answered and the ends tied up.

PF

When Cullen and his rebel friends were holding up the train, he intervened when one of them threatened to shoot a young boy, but was knocked unconscious by one of them and left for the troop authority. His freedom was bought by Durant and the railroad for his service (like they claimed they did with most of the slaves). The actions of the Preacher shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, he's always been sympathetic to the Indians and saw the Railroad as the aggressors. The Swede explained his loyalty to the Indians in Sunday nights episode.

BSD

Indian Tattoo

The woman with the tattooed face was patterned after Olive Oatman. I couldn't remember exactly what she looked like until I looked it up this morning. They got it pretty close.( scroll down in the article and there is a pix..) I think I first read about it in grade school..

I was always interested in cowboys and indians...

I am still trying to get into HOW...now I have the other one to get into too...Into the West..

dang so much tv so little tyme. What did I do before I was retired??

curley

BSD - the Swede's loyalty is ultimately only to himself. He would use and discard anyone to serve his motives. And as far as the preacher, I believe he was insane at the end, and fueled and directed mostly by the Swede.

BSD - the Swede's loyalty is ultimately only to himself. He would use and discard anyone to serve his motives. And as far as the preacher, I believe he was insane at the end, and fueled and directed mostly by the Swede.

I agree Grizz. The Preachers departure from reality after giving up the bottle reminded me of Charlie Sheen post rehab! :lol:

BSD

The Swede (but I'm from Norway :) ) is just dang Schickelgruber krazy if you ask me!

There was a gal in our high school that presumably had a tattoo on her right buttocks that read, "Property of Buck." (But like Bob said, I'm not sure if that is historically accurate or just a rumor started by some of the guys on the football team.) :)

It IS totally accurate and even the markings match the reaal person, Olive Oatman (of the Oatman massacre) see my post a bit above and I put a link with the discription and even a pix of her.

curley

Story line begins and it takes off like a good show, but suddenly we change directions and go somwherwe else. I, right now, am confused with the show. It has great possibilities, but those possibilities aren't allowed to bloom and finish a story in the time frame of the show. Who or what is the SWEDE, HE SEEMS TO RAKE THE muck, bury people, empty chamber pots, all jobs that have to be done, but is always getting the law called for one of the main characters.I think he is given too much power. A Very Confusing Show. If there were more westerns on I would not be watching.

It IS totally accurate and even the markings match the reaal person, Olive Oatman (of the Oatman massacre) see my post a bit above and I put a link with the discription and even a pix of her.

curley

Great pic Curley, the actress in HOW even looks pretty close to Ms. Oatman!

:) Rye

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

Last year was ok,but I gave up on it this season.I'll sit back and wait for Jutified and Longmire to come back on.

Archived