SASS Wire Forum

LEE DIES

Well, I reckon it would be either .429 or .430, maybe as large as .431, but to be safe, I would call Lee on Monday and ask. I would be willing to bet donuts to coffee that it would be the same as their .44 Special/.44 Magnum expander die.

I've got an e-mail in to Midway asking the same question. I've tried to call LEE before. Hard to get a live body on the phone there. Slugged the barrel of my new S&W Russian and came up with .431. I can use the same boolit as my .44wcf, just sized bigger.

TF

Originally designed the 44 Russian was to use heeled bullets like .22s. The Army would not accept it due to dirt getting in to the external lube.

The design was changed to accept .429" bullets with in the case lube grooves.

-------------

44 Russian. You can use the Lee 44 spl/mag expander funnel. You will need to get a 44 Russian seating/Crimp die.

Or if you have the tools cut down a 44 spl/mag seating and crimp die. Remember these dies come with carbide inserts so I recommend buying a 44 Russian specific die.

Tom, I have a Lee 44 Russian seating and crimping die. I also have a Lee 44spl expander/powder drop funnel. I haven't used it in years.

You're welcome to borrow it.

CH

Thanks CH. I'm going to order a full set of .44 Russian dies. I was curious if anyone knew what the LEE set mic'd to before I ordered. If I needed a different size neck expander I'd order that with it

Thanks again

TF

I had Owen Munny cut down a set of Dillon carbide .44 mag dies. If I recall correctly he removed .25" and then re crowned the openings. They work great. I think I'm loading .429 bullets, they were freebies. For SASS shooting distances they work fine out of my Model 3 S & W.

I have also cut .25" off a set of Lee dies for .38 WCF (38-40) to get the shoulder to move back to standard pistol chamber dimensions.

Good luck on your project Tom!

IIRC, somewhere I read that the .44 caliber was made in a .427/,428 diameter originally. I suspect the ,44 Mag caused a jump in barrel diameter. But what the heck do I know?

I shoot .428 bullets in my Marlin and my Californians. Of course, Ichs with either one.

Archived