SASS Wire Forum

Good reading on the Civil War

Subdeacon Joe

A tragic, fascinating, personal, historic and compelling conflict. I never tire of reading about it.

Certainly was an interesting time in history. A lot of technology came out of that war. If it wasn't for Fort Sumter we probably would have to play SASS with cap and ball revolvers. It would have been after the turn of the century before the SAA would have been produced. OMG, we would all be soot lords with dirty faces. :o

Certainly was an interesting time in history. A lot of technology came out of that war. If it wasn't for Fort Sumter we probably would have to play SASS with cap and ball revolvers. It would have been after the turn of the century before the SAA would have been produced. OMG, we would all be soot lords with dirty faces. :o

An just what da heck is wrong wif shootin' cap an ball pistol any how ?

Ifin' all of us was "Lords Of Da Soot" , it wood be like heaven ! ! ! lol

Imagine the gut wrenching fear, the bile rise up, and yet draw up the courage to march lock step with your lifelong friends and your family into the maw of death....sometimes dealt by lifelong friends and family! It just never ceases to amaze me what they had to endure!

To stand shoulder to shoulder and walk across a field while they rained death and destruction on you does boggle the mind. Some of those guys did it for four years.

yep and unlike whats depicted in movies the artillery they had was pretty dang awesome in its shock and awe value.

I know. That is what is so amazing.

One would think that some General would look at the tactics and say whoa Nellie. We need to rethunk this operation. But Jackson pushed his men to the limits and they adored him for it, or at least the history accounts describe it that way. Same with Marse Bob. Not so much with the Northern Generals, except maybe Little Mac.

I know. That is what is so amazing.

One would think that some General would look at the tactics and say whoa Nellie. We need to rethunk this operation. But Jackson pushed his men to the limits and they adored him for it, or at least the history accounts describe it that way. Same with Marse Bob. Not so much with the Northern Generals, except maybe Little Mac.

That tactic worked so well they couldn't wait to try it out when charging Maxim machine guns 60 something years later. <_<

And the casualty rates - 30%, 50%, even 60% were not uncommon. Heck, 30% might be "very low." But, since you were "shoulder to shoulder" with friends, neighbors, and family, you went. How could you go home and face people if you ran?

Charlie, the 6 pounders were pretty much obsolete by that time. Yeah, the Confederacy used them some, they used anything they could get the munitions for, and they saw some use by both sides on the western theater. But the work horses for both where the M1857 12 Pound Napoleon and the 10 Pound (3") Parrott Rifle. Coming in close behind was the 3" Ordnance Rifle. It was favored over the Parrott because it was wrought iron rather than cast. As far as I know, and talking with lots of others who know more, there were only two Ordnance Rifles that blew up during the War. Both near the muzzle, which make me suspect that the cause was the shell blowing up in the tube rather than a tube failure. Parrots tended to blow up with some regularity, and just in front of the wrought iron reinforce.

Back in the day, I served a 3/4 scale ordnance rifle that actually had a smooth bore sleeve. It was built over in Idaho by a fellow that did that sort of thing. It was an awesome looking gun and I did see some relics

originals down in Nevada. They were interesting guns.

I believe that we had five or six cannon that we took to competition from the PNW. One was an original brass cannon off one of the revenue cutters of the Coast Guard that was loaned to a member that served in the Coast Guard. IIRC the Rockbridge Artillery had a repo Parrott Gun but I do not recall the size. I think it also was 3/4. They were the best of the bunch as far as accuracy. I think we were at the bottom of the list. :lol:

You soot lords that think your smokewagons are something, try a cannon sometime. :lol:

Archived