SASS Wire Forum

Question / Advice

BushRod Jones

Pushing around some thoughts and looking for thoughts and advice.

Do you or would you shoot on Sunday as a monthly?

Would it be better to shoot in the morning or hold off till after lunch?

Would the time of a Sunday shoot even matter to you?

Thanks for some insight. BRJ

We're successful at shooting a monthly at Buffalo Range Riders club (Founders Ranch, in NM) on Sunday. Start time 9 AM summer, 10 AM in fall and spring. Get as big a turn out as local Saturday matches, normally.

It can be done, if you offer a good monthly. Every Sunday - that would probably wear out the welcome.

Good luck, GJ

First Sunday of every month the North Alabama Regulators hold their regular monthly shoot. We start about 9:30 AM and finish up about 1:30 or 2:00 PM. We get a pretty good turnout each month.

I wouldn't want to start in the afternoon - it gets mighty warm in N. Alabama from 'bout March thru October! :D

Here in southern California, there is a match or two, every Saturday, every Sunday of every month. When the calendar gives us a fifth Saturday and or Sunday, we have shoots then as well.

Depending on where you live, you can get to a match in 10 minutes or 1.5 hours if you want to drive a little.

Shooters here schedule weekend days off from shooting to take a break.

Matches have between 15 shooters up to and over 150 shooters per match.

It's not a hobby in this area. It's a life style.

Here in southern California, there is a match or two, every Saturday, every Sunday of every month. When the calendar gives us a fifth Saturday and or Sunday, we have shoots then as well.

Depending on where you live, you can get to a match in 10 minutes or 1.5 hours if you want to drive a little.

Shooters here schedule weekend days off from shooting to take a break.

Matches have between 15 shooters up to and over 150 shooters per match.

It's not a hobby in this area. It's a life style.

+1 right there. every aspect of that statement applies to us.

cc

We don't have a choice......The slowest day at our multifaceted club is Sunday (we all know why) so to close the range down for the general membership in order to hold an action event it has to be done on Sunday. We are still doing fine but I really believe IF we were shooting Saturday our attendance would be higher. I have heard some shooters say they couldn't make Saturday because of work........but IMO I have heard many more say they can't come because of church.

Getting some great feed back and advice. Looking at a small local club where we can live the dream and play the Cowboy way. I know with work and church some folks can not shoot one day or the other so will be polling the locals soon as well. Now let's hope for no of the Dang HANGING ChADS! LOL BRJ

Sunday is the Lord's day. We do not do Sunday shoots at CTS except for 5th Sunday shoots that begin @ 1 p.m., & the annual Comanche Moon. We've only had 1 person since '95 say he couldn't make it because of having to work Saturday.

Sunday I go to church, and often I have responsibilities, anything from ushering to singing to teaching a class. So, a regular match held on a Sunday isn't something that I would do all the time. Now and then, sure, but not on a regular basis.

My home club (OOWSS) has two monthly matches...3rd Sunday and 4th Saturday, with a WB match scheduled for any 5th Sundays.

Many folks shoot both weekends. Some don't for various reasons.

Start time is usually around 10:00...which allows most some of our Sunday shooters to come out to play after attending morning services.

Edited to reflect denominational differentials & regional variances.

;)

There's always someone that can't do one day or the other, no matter from where one is located. Our clubs in N. Texas generally shoot BOTH Saturday and Sunday. Saturdays are generally better attended than Sundays, but this is not always the case.

Our club alternates the monthly between Saturday and Sunday, (third weekend), so hopefully all shooters have a chance to attend. We also have 4 stage (practice) match the Saturday before the monthly match. Also have Wild Bunch the last weekend.....................Mink........

I live equal distance from two clubs. One is in north Alabama and the other in central Tennessee. I choose to shoot with the club in central Tennessee because they shoot on Saturdays. As mentioned in post #3, North Alabama shoots on Sunday. I may be in a minority, but that is what my family chooses to do.

Start time is usually around 10:00...which allows most Sunday shooters to come out to play after attending morning services.

PWB, unless they have an early service (some larger churches do) most churches don't get out until around noon.

BushRod, we tried shooting our mid-month match at Wartrace on Sundays for a year because we had quite a few folks who said they couldn't shoot on Saturday for one reason or another. Guess what, they didn't show up on Sundays either. We didn't gain any shooters so we went back to Saturdays.

Randy

In my younger years while traveling around the USA, I stopped in some town (maybe even states) that had laws that did not allow hunting or plain old plinking on Sundays. (no shooting)

Some of these places didn't even allow the purchasing of alcohol on Sunday. One or two of these places where whole states.

People choose to believe what they believe and most choose to live where they live. We do the best we can with what we have available to us.

I do not shoot on Sundays for monthly matches. I am active in my church and very fortunate to have plenty of Saturday matches. Regional or state matches are once-a-year events for me, so I will shoot on Sunday if necessary.

My recommendation to you is to look are what other matches are available in your area. Are there any open Saturdays? What about a weekday match that might bring a bunch of retired shooters? What about a summer weeknight match that runs from 6:30-9 pm? {I have often wished for something like that. Just a quickie match with one pistol and either a rifle or shotgun to keep the stages simple and quick.)

Chorro Valley Regulators shoot on the 2nd Sunday. Always has, 5th Sundays too. We start at 9 am. I won't usually shoot an afternoon shoot, just not for me.

I would like to shoot on Saturday just so I can have a day off before work. I talk to God when I feel like it and when I need to.

Fillmore

BushRod, we tried shooting our mid-month match at Wartrace on Sundays for a year because we had quite a few folks who said they couldn't shoot on Saturday for one reason or another. Guess what, they didn't show up on Sundays either. We didn't gain any shooters so we went back to Saturdays.

Randy

I must be getting senile in my old age, that happened at a Bullseye Club I was shooting with before I started shooting Cowboy at Wartrace.

Sorry for the mistake.

Randy

...our club has the following shoots each month:

..the 2nd Sunday of each month

..the following Saturday of each month

..the 4th Wednesday of each month

..and the 5th Sunday if there is one

...our Sunday shoot attendance is the same as our Saturday...

I work every Saturday, except for 6 times a year. I only get to shoot with local clubs about 3 - 4 times a year as a result. At one time, Plum Creek had Sunday matches which I attended with great joy. They no longer do, and I miss being able to join the Cowboy action shooting world as a result. I have actually seriously considered giving up the SASS thing as a result, but still hold on at least for another year. .. Muleshoe

It has been awhile but I have shot with you Randy and you sure do not shoot like your senile!! LOL We have a good shoot on Saturday and this would be at a new range. Looking to stay away from days any clubs around would be shooting while possibly given the Saturday workers or late Friday night folks a place. Will know more mid October. Thanks for all the insight! Cowbot up!! BRJ

Archived