SASS Wire Forum

Cost to load black powda shot shells

Come On Christmas

I am lazy. I know they is calculators for this, but I figure you done the math for me. I use 45 grains of 1f, 12 gauge AA winchester hulls, 1 1/8 oz. Reclaimed Shot, Western Orange Wads, and CCI primers.

Craven the Hunter

AKA Shameless Womanizer

Primer = $0.03

Powder = $0.13

Shot = $0.11

Wad = $0.025

Or -- $0.295 per round

Or -- $7.38 per box of 25

(this assumes the following: No shipping, no taxes, Primers @ $30.00/K, Powder @ $20.00 per Pound, Shot @ $40.00 per 25# bag, Wads @ $12.00 per 500, Hulls for free)

WOW! BP for $20.00 per pound ? That seems very high to me. I bought my last lot for some where around $10.00, thats Goex 3F. If you buy by the 25# case the price comes does down.

Yeah, Just off the top of my head I am thinking I paid $16 delivered when I bought 10, but then what is my time worth? I just needed an estimate cause I made up 100 shells for a buddy o mine.

Shameless

Primer = $0.03

Powder = $0.13

Shot = $0.11

Wad = $0.025

Or -- $0.295 per round

Or -- $7.38 per box of 25

(this assumes the following: No shipping, no taxes, Primers @ $30.00/K, Powder @ $20.00 per Pound, Shot @ $40.00 per 25# bag, Wads @ $12.00 per 500, Hulls for free)

If you paid $20.00 for a lb of BP, your got screwed.

I can have it to my door for under $14.00 a lb(3F Goex).

Use reclaim shot for SASS/CAS and that will cut you shot costs in 1/2.

FWIW: plastic wads can/do melt in the bore with BP. Look into using fiber wads.

At 45gn(weight)of BP per load(that's "lite" for 12ga, BTW)you will only get 155 rnds from a lb of BP.

LG

Last batch I did was 0.18 per round. That was with Goex and plastic wads. Add about .07 per on my loads with a fiber wad column. The 0.18 are as cheap as I have ever gotten. I have been as high as 0.28 when some component prices were up. Like others have said, in this game, you can get away with reclaimed shot. And as long as the primer goes bang. And your price is entirely driven by your component cost. Last Goex ffg I got was a lot closer to $10/lb than it was $20.

I was a 'fiber wad only' guy for a long while, too, but have recently gone to plastic. There is more gunk that comes out when you are cleaning (the plastic melted in) but it is no more dificult or time consuming to clean than with fiber wads. I have also found that, when the MD decides to put out some farther SG targets, that your pattern will hold just a bit tighter with plastic shot cups.

I realize that we are not supposed to put load data on the wahr, however, I suppose it would be ok to say that my load workup is with 7/8 oz of shot. Say your shot is $40/25 lb. At that price, you save 0.025/round by dropping your projectile load. That is about 0.63/box. Savings go up 25% if you are buying shot at $50/lb retail (tax and all included).

I have shot 7/8 oz loads from day 1 and have not had an issue with any knock down or flyer.

For pricing contrast, my smokeless rounds are around 0.16 per.

Last time I figured this It cost me around .20 a round. 63 grs. of 2F, 1 1/8 oz. shot and plastic wads, the orange ones. They go BOOM and shoot out flames! LOVE IT!

:) Rye

I can have it to my door for under $14.00 a lb(3F Goex).

Grits - got ya beat ... Powder Inc's Skirmish - 25 or 50 lb. lot: $11.80 per lb.

Price includes shipping and hazmat fee.

It smokes - it sparks and is dirty as all get out. I really believe it is Chinese fire cracker powder. But packs a wallop with a 83gr square load. Oh, I forgot to mention - it goes BOOM every time!

And my friend, if you find a cheaper powder price, don't even try a one up'ish. I got plenty of Fg and FFG powder that cost me $2.42 a pound. It's the Meteor stuff and worth GOLD! :D I proved it is the last of the Curtis's and Harvey production out of Ardeer, Scotland - vintage 1973. A fella on the ASSRA forum sent me some of his 1955 vintage Austin Powder Company FFg. The container is marked Curtis & Harvey Powder. I did a side by side comparison to the Meteor - a perfect match

Archived