SASS Wire Forum

Mr. Tex...Please find another ax to grind.

Notso Slim, SASS #67301

...someone says lineman boots, do you vision a person wearing such boot while riding a horse?"

Just food for thought.

When someone asks what a "work boot" is... it doesn't necessarily mean they're thinkin' of ridin' a horse. And when one is answerin' said question, one needn't restrict oneself to any particular style of workboot. And even in this game, one could possibly wear different styles of "work boots" for different jobs, some of which wouldn't put one anywhere near a horse. Relatively speaking, a very small percentage of the population were ever "cowboys". Far different from the desires and dreams of untold millions since the "cowboy era".

Just food for thinkin' on.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When someone says logger work boots,I think thick premium leather boots for super support, with high lace ups(12-14'??) ,thick soles medium height heel and cack spikes on the bottom of the sole. I think of White Brand ( the top manufacture.

When someone says lineman work boots, I think of thick leather boots for super support, very rounded toe box,with even higher lace ups. Sole is probably smoother but has grip enhancements so when they put on the spurs to climb poles, a lug sole wouldn't interfer. Again, White manufacture comes to mind.

When someone says smoke jumper work boots, I think of thick premium leather boots that are lace up and a very rounded toe box. Same thing as 'logger boots'but instead of caulks, the sole is deep lug vibrum soles.

When someone says construction boots, I think of a laceup leather boot, walking heel,may or may not have steel toe feature, very rounded an roomy toe box.

When someone says cowboy boots, I think of a more riding style. Could be slip on or lace. Slicker sole. Toe is pointed to accomodate stirrups,,, heal is elevated, and sloped inwards to function in stirups. Pain in the rear as far as working on the ground or walking distance once off the horse.

When someone says farm/ranch boot, well that is just a boot with very rounded toe box, low type walking heal and sole is a non slip type material.

Then the dress boot,,, shiny, dare not get off pavement in fear of scuffing and getting soiled.

For those thingies that barely go above the ankle,light due made,have rubber toe protectors,manuf logo's,,,,,,those are more of an athelic/sports boot for walking and hiking.

I understand, you may have a different opinion and visualization of what a work boot is. But when someone says lineman boots, do you vision a person wearing such boot while riding a horse?"

Just food for thought.

Mebbe driving a chuck wagon though. ;)

Course when you say mules, some folks think jackasses and some folks think shoes.

Confusing stuff wot? :lol:

What is wrong with buying a piece at a time? Actually it is more correct. When Cowboys needed new duds on a traildrive or at the end of the drive they brought whatever was available, homemade or store brought.

I am sure you are worse off than I am but I don't understand your statement "I've been selling guns to help cover expenses. I guess I know which ones you would recommend I sell..."

Just what do you mean? Is this a remark on your part that I suggest you sell your CAS guns and gear and quit the sport?

I don't know whether I am worse off or not, but based on the quote I excerpted, that was what I was implying you might suggest. I'm guessing I read more into it than you intended, and if I did, then you have my sincerest apologies. It just hit a little close to home for me. As for my CAS guns, they didn't cost me "thousands." In the guns I currently use I have just a bit more invested than what some pay for a slicked '73. Add my leather and I am right around the $1600-1700 mark, if my poor math skills are correct. I had other guns, but as much as I wanted to keep them, I needed the money more.

Or for you to do what I have been doing for the past year...make painful decisions what guns to sell. For a gun nut like me this is really difficult cause I KNOW six months from now I am going to wishing I never sold it as I need it now. But things will have to be really bad before I sell my last set of CAS guns. In fact I don't think it can be ever that bad.

I am slowly reaching a point of choosing between CAS guns and guns I inherited. If it reaches that point, the CAS guns will have to go first. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'll tell you what I'll do. I want to help you with no strings attached. If you can wear a XL shirt I will give you one absolutely free. They are in excellent condition and I have several colors. I am cleaning out my closets getting ready to move so you will be doing both of us a big favor...you get a new shirt and I have one less thing to move. Just PM your address and I'll even pay the shipping.

Hell I'll even make the same offer to Badlands Beauty. Just PM me your address and I'll do the rest.

This is why I think I read more into the previous quote than you intended. I don't know why I am left surprised and nearly speechless by the kindness of people here, but such an offer certainly does. I may just take you up on that.

Shoot fire. I even have Hunter Orange Cowboy Hat Condom I'll give away free.

No thanks. If my straw hat can't stand up to the rain, then it shouldn't be on top of my head.

There...I hope we can be friends now.

So long as you keep the Hat Condom, I think we can.

;)

BW Boots......work boots....whatever.

I still think Tex was right on, and he has certainly accomplished his objective to raise awareness. IMHO, there is no harm in any of us giving thought to the costuming component of this game, or encouraging folks to move beyond the minimum. :) Tex helped invent this sport that we all love. I think he has earned the right to "ride fence" and make sure it's straight and tight!

Giddy up, Chapo! ;)

When someone asks what a "work boot" is... it doesn't necessarily mean they're thinkin' of ridin' a horse. And when one is answerin' said question, one needn't restrict oneself to any particular style of workboot. And even in this game, one could possibly wear different styles of "work boots" for different jobs, some of which wouldn't put one anywhere near a horse. Relatively speaking, a very small percentage of the population were ever "cowboys". Far different from the desires and dreams of untold millions since the "cowboy era".

Just food for thinkin' on.

It is not a rule, but it would be nice if a persons persona's footwear would generally match the rest of his costume, providing there are no medical issues and such. Again, there isn't a rule saying you have too. So, in todays world of SASS, someone could wear linemans boots with his ten gallon cowboy hat, spurs,chaps, vest, watch fob, double strong side holster and the rest.

I do see a fair number of people dressed as plane jane sod busters, where the minimal clothing requirements are met and their footwear matches and is a non discriptive work boot of some sort. :) It fits and again, that is legal.

I wonder if that is what Tex is hoping for, for people that have the money, to move up from the plane jan sodbuster persona to something more colorful?

Don't worry what you wear, people will not call it nor look at your footwear.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Let's take a look at this old picture, it shows the diverisity of dress, hats and footwear. Looks like two of them are wearing "loafers. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/90north/cowboyloafershoes.jpg

Hell... you need to get an old pic... that's Utah Bob and some of his mountain-buddies.. in their fuzzy-slippers.

ts

It's a fine line, a bit of a tightrope. On the one hand, yes, we need to maintain the clothing requirements, it's part of what has made the game what it is today. On the other hand, I don't think any of us want the 'costume police' walking every event of every match seeking out infractions. A common topic has also been how to attract new shooters, having people attack them for not dressing well past the minimum is not a way to do that.

In a thread a while back on another forum, one of the most common reason folks gave for not wanting to try CAS was the costuming. When it was pointed out that the minimum wasn't must more than many of them wore on a daily basis that argument dried up. If we go to a stricter, and in my mind more hostile environment costume wise, I think that it may well discourage some folks from giving the game a try, or drive some away from it that are just getting started.

One of the things that I love about this game is that people can enjoy it in a lot of different ways. Some primarily for the shooting, some for the costuming, some for the guns, some for time spent with like minded folks, and some who enjoy all of the above. Belittling folks who don't enjoy the game exactly as you do, whether it be costuming, powder, guns, or whatever, as long as they are playing within the published rules, isn't at all sportsman like.

Oh, and if anyone wants to pony up the cash to buy me a pair of them fancy custom made boots that would keep my feet from aching by the third stage, I'll be more than happy to wear them at all match functions and every trip to the outhouse in the middle of the night :D

It is not a rule, but it would be nice if a persons persona's footwear would generally match the rest of his costume, providing there are no medical issues and such.

I don't know if it's a medical issue or not, but I wouldn't know if my left sock matched my right. What recourse is there for the style-inhibited?

It's a fine line, a bit of a tightrope. On the one hand, yes, we need to maintain the clothing requirements, it's part of what has made the game what it is today. On the other hand, I don't think any of us want the 'costume police' walking every event of every match seeking out infractions. A common topic has also been how to attract new shooters, having people attack them for not dressing well past the minimum is not a way to do that.

:D

Griz,

There are no 'costume police'. Just like there are no 'Procedural police' or 'xyz police'....seeking out penalties. If someone violates a SASS rule(miss, procedural, safety,clothing, illegal firearm mod, under PF ammo, whatever), and earns a penalty, then the penalty should be given. The penalty is whatever is in the rule book. Thats all.

If rewards and penalties are honorably and uniformly given out, then the folks that choose to be in the gray zone of whatever rule will modify their behavior.

Blastmaster, well, yes and no, but I do get your point that we are supposed to be self regulating.

The RO and Spotters are tasked to call misses and Ps. But to the best of my recollection no one is tasked to evaluate a shooters clothing except for the RO in relation to category conformation and presence of banned items.

My point was that I would hate to see an environment or atmosphere where people, whether tasked by match officials, or self appointed, wandered around specifically with the intent to enforce costuming requirements.

I am certainly not advocating breaking the rules. I do my best to dress cowboy at all match functions. Which brings up a good point, the handbook (as quoted by PWB earlier) directs us to stay in costume for all match events. Other than what is listed, what constitutes a match event? Breakfast? Informal pot luck at the campground? Walking around at the vendors after the days stages? If I show up early to pick up my shooter packet before heading to the hotel, and I'm wearing shorts and a t shirt, should I expect to get chastised?

Can you show me in the rules where a bowler hat (as long as it is felt) would not be legal for B Western category? I am old, there are three handbooks and I am sure I missed it, I am sure it must be there.

It should be noted here that the Bat Masterson character portrayed by Gene Barry moer often than not wore a bowler or derby hat!!

And I added this after reaching that point in this thread.

It is also true that many "cowboys" of the era only bought one new outfit a year, and wore it 'til it was falling off of them!!!

Now I'm gonna' go read something else and wash out my one shirt and dust off my derby!! :lol::lol::lol:

It should be noted here that the Bat Masterson character portrayed by Gene Barry moer often than not wore a bowler or derby hat!!

It is also true that many "cowboys" of the era only bought one new outfit a year, and wore it 'til it was falling off of them!!!

Now I'm gonna' go read something else and wash out my one shirt and dust off my derby!! :lol::lol::lol:

Dang Blackwater....as a purveyor of hats and sich I'dathunk you'd be all about a new hat for ever match :)

I recall reading somewhere that in US in 1880s, the derby or bowler hat was the most popular of all hat styles.

Hell... you need to get an old pic... that's Utah Bob and some of his mountain-buddies.. in their fuzzy-slippers.

ts

I have been called a loafer on more than one occasion. :lol:

I don't know if it's a medical issue or not, but I wouldn't know if my left sock matched my right. What recourse is there for the style-inhibited?

Bud, that was funny right there!

Actually that is a medical issue, called color blindness... for the public cowards (PC) types, that's color vision impaired... It's why us "guys" have wives and girlfriends.

Archived