SASS Wire Forum

Mr. Tex...Please find another ax to grind.

Notso Slim, SASS #67301

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am dirt floor poor, with my wife and I both shooting the cost of a nice shirt will also by me 1000 bullets, or pay my match fees for 2 or 3 matches. I have more than the minimum, but if I have the money to either shoot or buy a shirt and sit at home for 3 weeks because I am out of bullets of don't have the match fee.....well that's an easy choice for me. I like to shoot, and I like to hang out with the people I shoot with..... So if someone would rather I not shoot because I wore the same outfit 2times in a row, to damn bad. And if it bothers them so much that they have to rant and whine about it they can crack open there wallet, break out there "hollier than thou MasterCard" and pay for whatever they want to put in my closet to protect there fantasy. A 1200 dollar rifle was damn hard to justafy, a 1200 dollar wardrobe ain't comming out of my wallet

Pard, my wife and I get CAS clothing as door prizes at major matches all the time. Much of it does not fit and we give it to other CAS-types who can wear it. Let it be known at local matches you are looking for some clothes of certain sizes and you might get handed a suitcase full of what you want. Your fellow shooters can be very generous giving away clothes they didn't pay for in the first place.

At the SASS Canadian Nationals I bought my wife 2 skirts and 2 blouses for $20 dollars at the ladies section of the swap meet .....

I bought a set of Braces , Pants and shirt for myself for $35 ................. And a Hat fer $15 ........

It need not be expencive to outfit folks if you bid yer time and look fer deals ....

Jabez Cowboy

Yeah! This game isn't for po' trash, it's for rich trash!

Frankly, though, I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say. On the one hand, you think people spend, or ought to spend, "several thousand dollars" on guns and leather. OTOH, you complain because people's clothes look too new. So, are we supposed to buy expensive guns and leather and then beat the crap out of them to match the clothing we buy at the Salvation Army? What's wrong with dressing to match our guns and gear? And what's wrong with wearing "hat condoms" to protect our investments? From my point of view, there's something wrong with spending a lot of money to look like I don't have money. Maybe you can afford to beat the crap out of "several thousand dollars" worth of gear, but I doubt that speaks for most of us.

BTW, a modern 3" workbelt with brass buckle, $10; used, unlined holsters, $70 per pair; used Uberti Model Ps, $800 per pair; sxs, $250, used; Rossi 92, $400. A minimum outfit therefore would be ~$1,500. Hardly the "several thousand" you say. Looks like SASS isn't quite as exclusive as you'd like it to be.

Just so I am clear you are saying after spending $1,500 for guns and leather you don't have enough money for a outfit that captures the "Spirit of the Game".

You state "Frankly, though, I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say." Then you close with "Looks like SASS isn't quite as exclusive as you'd like it to be".

Sounds like you already had your mind made up and no point in me trying to discuss the issue with a closed door.

p.s. And spare me the po' trash crap. Get back with me after you have had a couple of hospital stays this year, illness that is not responding to treatment, no job, loss of income that has forced the sell of all your livestock and the ranch that is going to the bank in foreclosure. We all have our loads to carry.

p.s.s. I still think hat condoms look silly.

Things I know about Tex:

He's a good shooter.

He has got a laugh that would scare the bejaysus out of you if you heard it in a mine shaft.

He is old.

He is opinionated.

He doesn't care whether you agree with him or not.

I remember agreeing with Tex one time...almost. And that had to do with the sun setting in the west. Other than that, I don't we've ever agreed on anything.

Sounds like you already had your mind made up and no point in me trying to discuss the issue with a closed door.

Deflection. You don't have an effective counter-arguement, so try and derail the conversation. It's too bad about your problems, but apparently they're not bad enough for you to accomodate them with regard to CAS; if you won't, I don't see why I should.

Just so I am clear you are saying after spending $1,500 for guns and leather you don't have enough money for a outfit that captures the "Spirit of the Game".

You seem to be the one who's playing games with the game. "Several Thousand dollars" you said, on guns and gear, and then old clothing. What cowboy, just off the range, carried guns and gear worth the equivalent of several thousand dollars? As is so often said around here, we are not reenactors. This is a fantasy game and I'll dress and arm myself according to *my* fantasy, not yours. And as others are also saying, if it's legal, it's legal and doesn't need to follow extra imaginary rules.

... the Cival War started by a Mr. Singer...

See! All you Southrons been correct! Tweren't over slavery 'tall! JB, try again:

The History of the Zipper'[/color]]

It was a long way up for the humble zipper, the mechanical wonder that has kept so much in our lives 'together.' On its way up the zipper has passed through the hands of several dedicated inventors, none convinced the general public to accept the zipper as part of everyday costume. The magazine and fashion industry made the novel zipper the popular item it is today, but it happened nearly eighty years after the zipper's first appearance.

Elias Howe, who invented the sewing machine received a patent in 1851 for an 'Automatic, Continuous Clothing Closure.' Perhaps it was the success of the sewing machine, which caused Elias not to pursue marketing his clothing closure. As a result, Howe missed his chance to become the recognized 'Father of the Zip.'Forty-four years later, Mr. Whitcomb Judson (who also invented the 'Pneumatic Street Railway') marketed a 'Clasp Locker' a device similar to the 1851 Howe patent.

Being first to market gave Whitcomb the credit of being the 'Inventor of the Zipper', However, his 1893 patent did not use the word zipper. The Chicago inventor's 'Clasp Locker' was a complicated hook-and-eye shoe fastener. Together with businessman Colonel Lewis Walker, Whitcomb launched the Universal Fastener Company to manufacture the new device. The clasp locker had its public debut at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and met with little commercial success.Swedish-born (who later immigrated to Canada), Gideon Sundback, an electrical engineer, was hired to work for the Universal Fastener Company. Good design skills and a marriage to the plant-manager's daughter Elvira Aronson led Sundback to the position of head designer at Universal.

He was responsible for improving the far from perfect 'Judson C-curity Fastener.' Unfortunately, Sundback's wife died in 1911. The grieving husband busied himself at the design table and by December of 1913, he had designed the modern zipper.Gideon Sundback increased the number of fastening elements from four per inch to ten or eleven, had two facing-rows of teeth that pulled into a single piece by the slider, and increased the opening for the teeth guided by the slider. The patent for the 'Separable Fastener' was issued in 1917. Sundback also created the manufacturing machine for the new zipper. The 'S-L' or scrapless machine took a special Y-shaped wire and cut scoops from it, then punched the scoop dimple and nib, and clamped each scoop on a cloth tape to produce a continuous zipper chain. Within the first year of operation, Sundback's zipper-making machinery was producing a few hundred feet of fastener per day.

The popular 'zipper' name came from the B. F. Goodrich Company, when they decided to use Gideon's fastener on a new type of rubber boots or galoshes and renamed the device the zipper, the name that lasted. Boots and tobacco pouches with a zippered closure were the two chief uses of the zipper during its early years. It took twenty more years to convince the fashion industry to seriously promote the novel closure on garments.

In the 1930's, a sales campaign began for children's clothing featuring zippers. The campaign praised zippers for promoting self-reliance in young children by making it possible for them to dress in self-help clothing. The zipper beat the button in 1937 in the "Battle of the Fly," when French fashion designers raved over zippers in men's trousers. Esquire magazine declared the zipper the "Newest Tailoring Idea for Men" and among the zippered fly's many virtues was that it would exclude "the Possibility of Unintentional and Embarrassing Disarray." Obviously, the new zippered trouser owners had not yet discovered the experience of forgetting to zip-up.The next big boost for the zipper came when zippers could open on both ends, as on jackets. Today the zipper is everywhere, in clothing, luggage and leather goods and countless other objects. Thousands of zipper miles produced daily, meet the needs of consumers, thanks to the early efforts of the many famous zipper inventors.

So let's not pretend the zipper is period correct.

Deflection. You don't have an effective counter-arguement, so try and derail the conversation. It's too bad about your problems, but apparently they're not bad enough for you to accomodate them with regard to CAS; if you won't, I don't see why I should.

Huh? You are the one that made the snide comment about SASSnot being for "po' trash". Pard you ain't got a clue what it is to grow up as plain poor white trash.

I don't give a dang what you wear. But I will still laugh at you to your face when you wear a hat condom. They are just plain silly. A good quality hat will easily survive a soaking and will actually shape itself to your head for a better fit if you wear it tils it dries.

You seem to be the one who's playing games with the game. "Several Thousand dollars" you said, on guns and gear, and then old clothing. What cowboy, just off the range, carried guns and gear worth the equivalent of several thousand dollars? As is so often said around here, we are not reenactors. This is a fantasy game and I'll dress and arm myself according to *my* fantasy, not yours. And as others are also saying, if it's legal, it's legal and doesn't need to follow extra imaginary rules.

Here let me help you since you are not up to date on gun prices for CAS;

Ruger New Model Vaqueros; $799 ea. X 2 = $1598

Uberti 73 = $1100

(if you want to shoot in Classic Cowboy or just want to shoot a better gun than the 92).

Shotguns: 97 in good working condition $400+, Cimarron 1878 Coach Gun = $575.00

Let see that is between $3098 and $3273 if purchased new. As you point out significant savings can be made a person gets lucky when buying used. If they are lucky.

Then a shooter will probably want there guns to shoot slicker so add gunsmiths fees. And those six-shooter need leather to tote them in along with shotgun shells. The shooter can buy cheap quality leather to save a few bucks.

Apparently Tex's message hit a little to close for home for you. Frankly I don't care what kind of outfit you wear. However I have been to a lot of matches where they gave award for the most authentic outfit. I have never see a award for best dressed shooter wearing new duds and a hat condom. Just saying. I could be wrong and if so I hope someone will speak up.

Just don't pull that "po' boy' crap. There are lots of folks like me that are having hard times and still manage to enjoy the "Spirit of the Game."

As the Judge said about the Spirit of the Game...either you have it or you don't.

Personally I agree 100% with what Tex has to say. I'm surprised he didn't mention the shooters who do a Superman fast change into their t-shirts and tennis shoes and shorts (ugly legs and all) for the awards. Really? You can't wait until after the awards? Do you HATE your cowboy outfit that much? The rules should be to stay in costume for ALL categories just like Classic Cowboy!

Rye

Personally I agree 100% with what Tex has to say. I'm surprised he didn't mention the shooters who do a Superman fast change into their t-shirts and tennis shoes and shorts (ugly legs and all) for the awards. Really? You can't wait until after the awards? Do you HATE your cowboy outfit that much?

The rules should be to stay in costume for ALL categories just like Classic Cowboy!

Rye

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.

SHB p.2

interesting lesson on The History of the Zipper. Nowadays there should be a large WARNING tag on the pull tab of zippers, "May cause zipper bite", or the instance of a forgetful person being cajoyed about leaving the barn door open. May cause an underlying fear of such mechanical devices. Personally,I much prefer button up and laces. :D

interesting lesson on The History of the Zipper. Nowadays there should be a large WARNING tag on the pull tab of zippers, "May cause zipper bite", or the instance of a forgetful person being cajoyed about leaving the barn door open. May cause an underlying fear of such mechanical devices. Personally,I much prefer button up and laces. :D

It's just like pullin' off a bandaid, a one and a two.............WE'VE GOT A BLEEDER.

SHB p.2

Yea that's fine but NO ONE enforces that at local matches! At least here in Ohio they don't!

Rye

Things I know about Tex:

He's a good shooter.

He has got a laugh that would scare the bejaysus out of you if you heard it in a mine shaft.

He is old.

He is opinionated.

He doesn't care whether you agree with him or not.

haha :)....very true......

I think Tex PUSHes to move the NEEDLE all the way to the top......and is glad that the needle will move just a little.......

Stan

I would hope there aren't any cowboys out there that would argue that costuming is not an integral part of SASS. It's clearly written into the rules. I really enjoy the costuming aspect, the game wouldn't be the same without it. I just don't understand a position advocating enforcing stricter requirements than are on the books. How can a participant know whether they are in compliance when the rules are subjective rather than objective? It seems like some are trying to frame the debate as being about whether costuming rules are being followed, but that is NOT what the article addresses. The article specifically criticizes clothing that the rules specifically state is acceptable. The article say's "A modern day cowboy with belt supported wranglers, work or snap button shirt, modern straw cowboy hat and roach killer boots or work boots just doesn't cut it. Worse yet, it's not in conformance with the rules." That statement is false, the rules don't prohibit belts, wrangler jeans, snap button shirts, straw hats or roach killer boots. I don't understand taking a position that those types of clothes are acceptable (straw hat excepted) if you're shooting B Western, but offensive if you're not. Are there cowboys out there who see someone shooting B-Western with belts, snap button shirts and fancy pointy toed boots and say no problem, but have their fantasy ruined when other cowboys are dressed that way and shoot as a Cowboy or Wrangler?

If pards want to change the rules, go for it, but how can you say you support a statement that is demonstrably incorrect?

BTW, I've never worn a straw hat, a belt, or wranglers, I like a nice authentic looking outfit. I just don't like criticizing folks for not following the rules when they are in fact following the rules. Should we write rules that say that any hit on a target is a hit, then subjectively assign misses because they are edgers?

The article goes on to say "it's a pity when they deem it appropriate to have only one" (outfit). Why would anyone care? If a cowboy is wearing period correct pants, shirt, hat, boots, etc. are there folks out there who get offended when that pard wears the same outfit a week later?

Hi Folks,

I love the costuming part of our sport and try to do more than the minimum. If you can't shoot well, you should try to look good shooting. ;)

However, as with dressing for work, special events...; not everyone has the same tastes or finances. You will never see everyone dressed to Tex's standards.

I sometimes wonder if his editorials are driving folks the opposite direction. This comes to mind, as after a discussion on the TG Wire long ago, I sent an email with all of the clothing rules in it and explaining logos (illegal) versus labels (legal). At the next match, I noticed folks wearing shirts with logos. It was discouraging.

IMO, it is okay to wear the minimum. If it is legal, fine.

WHAT I HATE IS SEEING ILLEGAL ITEMS OF CLOTHING! I'm tired of seeing short-sleeve T shirts with a gun theme on them.

Yes, I know I was yelling. ^_^

Regards,

Allie Mo

Just to add to my girlfriends post......

And please leave your baseball cap, your shorts, and your tennis shoes in the car!

This is a true story - I once had a gentleman (shooting B Western) wearing a hat the looked like a bowler with a very narrow brim. (He changed from a cowboy hat because the wind was blowing) When I commented that his hat really wasn't B Western he retorted that it was felt and perfectly legal.

Some people just don't get it.

I would hope there aren't any cowboys out there that would argue that costuming is not an integral part of SASS. It's clearly written into the rules. I really enjoy the costuming aspect, the game wouldn't be the same without it. I just don't understand a position advocating enforcing stricter requirements than are on the books. How can a participant know whether they are in compliance when the rules are subjective rather than objective? It seems like some are trying to frame the debate as being about whether costuming rules are being followed, but that is NOT what the article addresses. The article specifically criticizes clothing that the rules specifically state is acceptable. The article say's "A modern day cowboy with belt supported wranglers, work or snap button shirt, modern straw cowboy hat and roach killer boots or work boots just doesn't cut it. Worse yet, it's not in conformance with the rules." That statement is false, the rules don't prohibit belts, wrangler jeans, snap button shirts, straw hats or roach killer boots. I don't understand taking a position that those types of clothes are acceptable (straw hat excepted) if you're shooting B Western, but offensive if you're not. Are there cowboys out there who see someone shooting B-Western with belts, snap button shirts and fancy pointy toed boots and say no problem, but have their fantasy ruined when other cowboys are dressed that way and shoot as a Cowboy or Wrangler?

If pards want to change the rules, go for it, but how can you say you support a statement that is demonstrably incorrect?

BTW, I've never worn a straw hat, a belt, or wranglers, I like a nice authentic looking outfit. I just don't like criticizing folks for not following the rules when they are in fact following the rules. Should we write rules that say that any hit on a target is a hit, then subjectively assign misses because they are edgers?

The article goes on to say "it's a pity when they deem it appropriate to have only one" (outfit). Why would anyone care? If a cowboy is wearing period correct pants, shirt, hat, boots, etc. are there folks out there who get offended when that pard wears the same outfit a week later?

Well said Cap'n Bill.

Thanks Grizz! I don't want to offend people and I certainly don't want to criticize an icon of the game, but I do believe in following rules as they are written, rather than as we might prefer they were written. If Tex were advocating changing the costuming rules I might very well be writing in support of his position.

And please leave your baseball cap, your shorts, and your tennis shoes in the car!

This is a true story - I once had a gentleman (shooting B Western) wearing a hat the looked like a bowler with a very narrow brim. (He changed from a cowboy hat because the wind was blowing) When I commented that his hat really wasn't B Western he retorted that it was felt a perfectly legal.

Can you show me in the rules where a bowler hat (as long as it is felt) would not be legal for B Western category? I am old, there are three handbooks and I am sure I missed it, I am sure it must be there.

Tex, as versed as he is in the SASS rules believes that someone should go beyond the rules as far as what we wear to shoot in. Except for two costume categories, a shooter can shoot in jeans and a long sleeve shirt and be perfectly legal for all other categories. No hat required, no boots required, etc. That would be a very minimal dress but still legal, not what I wear but legal.

The rules for all the non costume categories only exclude specific attire, i.e. Modern shooting gloves, Short sleeve shirts (Male competitors only),short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors, Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys),Designer jeans, Ball caps, All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed, etc.

If Tex believes the rules should require more then the minimum, the rules should be changed. If he wants everyone to own at least two sets of cowboy duds then he should change the rules. If he wants everyone to wear one style of boot and no other and exclude works boots (whatever those are) for example, then he should change the rules. If he doesn't want folks to wear straw hats, then he should change the rules. Rule changes can easily be made unilaterally by the Wild Bunch.

The trouble with changing the rules is that it then becomes, on the surface, much more difficult to sell the new participant on the sport. I like the easin' into it, so's to speak. I'll admit to goin' minimal from time to time, the heat of the summer and chaps are a combination that'll drop me like a sack of potatoes!

I don't see anything wrong with encouragin' someone that does the minimum to step up that portion of their game. Just as with shootin'... Buck the Law said to me, "... you'd have much faster times if you didn't talk so much." And, while it's true, faster times ain't why I play! If it was, I'd hunt up a J.O.B. and take up "practicin'"! I certainly wasn't offended by his comment. Some folks mighta been... I respect his opinion, the fact that he's right is immaterial. I respect Tex's opinion, the fact that he's right is immaterial. Talkin' and cuttin' up ain't agin the rules... neither is dressin' to the minimums. Now if Tex was to come down on my shootin' slowly and deliberate like... he knows all he has to do is come down here and shoot again in a match... I'll step up my game! 'Cause the only person that can talk faster'n and shoot slower'n than me is TEX!:ph34r: Or is that the other way around!

The trouble with changing the rules is that it then becomes, on the surface, much more difficult to sell the new participant on the sport. I like the easin' into it, so's to speak. I'll admit to goin' minimal from time to time, the heat of the summer and chaps are a combination that'll drop me like a sack of potatoes!

I don't see anything wrong with encouragin' someone that does the minimum to step up that portion of their game. Just as with shootin'... Buck the Law said to me, "... you'd have much faster times if you didn't talk so much." And, while it's true, faster times ain't why I play! If it was, I'd hunt up a J.O.B. and take up "practicin'"! I certainly wasn't offended by his comment. Some folks mighta been... I respect his opinion, the fact that he's right is immaterial. I respect Tex's opinion, the fact that he's right is immaterial. Talkin' and cuttin' up ain't agin the rules... neither is dressin' to the minimums. Now if Tex was to come down on my shootin' slowly and deliberate like... he knows all he has to do is come down here and shoot again in a match... I'll step up my game! 'Cause the only person that can talk faster'n and shoot slower'n than me is TEX!:ph34r: Or is that the other way around!

:unsure: :unsure: Griff, deliberate? is that what's that called? dusty boddams-i be see'n you at the state match!

No one has yet answered my question, what is a "work boot"?

Simply a boot you work in. Could be cowboy boot, logger boot, Wellington boot, linesman boot, or any number of other styles of boot.

:unsure: :unsure: Griff, deliberate? is that what's that called? dusty boddams-i be see'n you at the state match!

Never said I was successful!

Anyone who can afford the several thousand dollars in guns and leather CAS requires can dang well afford to buy a proper outfit.

As the Judge has said SASS isn't for everyone. If you don't have the money to buy the proper outfit then SASS isn't for you.

Wow.... Just... Wow

I picked up my guns over a long period of time, and didn't buy new or top of the line when I did. I did splurge and get nice leather. I've only been able to afford to make it to a few matches, and got a used vest to go with my "home made" collarless shirt, straw hat and Wranglers. I already had an old pair of Justin Ropers.

I don't want to get into a comparison of who is worse off, but I've been selling guns to help cover expenses. I guess I know which ones you would recommend I sell...

It has been said that:

if no one has insulted you at a match, you are not liked by anyone !

if no one has made fun of you at a match, you are not liked by anyone !

if no one has made you laugh at yourself at a match, you are not liked by anyone !

if no one has hugged you or shaken your hand at a match, you are not liked by anyone !

if no one seeks you out to say anything to you at a match, you are not liked by anyone !

if no one has complained about you at a match, you are not liked by anyone !

it is actually fun to tease and complain about those you like - because you like them.

I have been on posse(s) with Tex. Based on the above - Tex is beloved.

Still fun to pick on him !

Maybe I am just Strange like the rest of you.

Tex - I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

This is a true story - I once had a gentleman (shooting B Western) wearing a hat the looked like a bowler with a very narrow brim. (He changed from a cowboy hat because the wind was blowing) When I commented that his hat really wasn't B Western he retorted that it was felt a perfectly legal.

Yer right...some people just don't get it...

:wacko:

Wow.... Just... Wow

I picked up my guns over a long period of time, and didn't buy new or top of the line when I did. I did splurge and get nice leather. I've only been able to afford to make it to a few matches, and got a used vest to go with my "home made" collarless shirt, straw hat and Wranglers. I already had an old pair of Justin Ropers.

I don't want to get into a comparison of who is worse off, but I've been selling guns to help cover expenses. I guess I know which ones you would recommend I sell...

What is wrong with buying a piece at a time? Actually it is more correct. When Cowboys needed new duds on a traildrive or at the end of the drive they brought whatever was available, homemade or store brought.

I am sure you are worse off than I am but I don't understand your statement "I've been selling guns to help cover expenses. I guess I know which ones you would recommend I sell..."

Just what do you mean? Is this a remark on your part that I suggest you sell your CAS guns and gear and quit the sport? Or for you to do what I have been doing for the past year...make painful decisions what guns to sell. For a gun nut like me this is really difficult cause I KNOW six months from now I am going to wishing I never sold it as I need it now. But things will have to be really bad before I sell my last set of CAS guns. In fact I don't think it can be ever that bad.

I'll tell you what I'll do. I want to help you with no strings attached. If you can wear a XL shirt I will give you one absolutely free. They are in excellent condition and I have several colors. I am cleaning out my closets getting ready to move so you will be doing both of us a big favor...you get a new shirt and I have one less thing to move. Just PM your address and I'll even pay the shipping.

Hell I'll even make the same offer to Badlands Beauty. Just PM me your address and I'll do the rest.

Shoot fire. I even have Hunter Orange Cowboy Hat Condom I'll give away free.

There...I hope we can be friends now.

Simply a boot you work in. Could be cowboy boot, logger boot, Wellington boot, linesman boot, or any number of other styles of boot.

When someone says logger work boots,I think thick premium leather boots for super support, with high lace ups(12-14'??) ,thick soles medium height heel and cack spikes on the bottom of the sole. I think of White Brand ( the top manufacture.

When someone says lineman work boots, I think of thick leather boots for super support, very rounded toe box,with even higher lace ups. Sole is probably smoother but has grip enhancements so when they put on the spurs to climb poles, a lug sole wouldn't interfer. Again, White manufacture comes to mind.

When someone says smoke jumper work boots, I think of thick premium leather boots that are lace up and a very rounded toe box. Same thing as 'logger boots'but instead of caulks, the sole is deep lug vibrum soles.

When someone says construction boots, I think of a laceup leather boot, walking heel,may or may not have steel toe feature, very rounded an roomy toe box.

When someone says cowboy boots, I think of a more riding style. Could be slip on or lace. Slicker sole. Toe is pointed to accomodate stirrups,,, heal is elevated, and sloped inwards to function in stirups. Pain in the rear as far as working on the ground or walking distance once off the horse.

When someone says farm/ranch boot, well that is just a boot with very rounded toe box, low type walking heal and sole is a non slip type material.

Then the dress boot,,, shiny, dare not get off pavement in fear of scuffing and getting soiled.

For those thingies that barely go above the ankle,light due made,have rubber toe protectors,manuf logo's,,,,,,those are more of an athelic/sports boot for walking and hiking.

I understand, you may have a different opinion and visualization of what a work boot is. But when someone says lineman boots, do you vision a person wearing such boot while riding a horse?"

Just food for thought.

Archived