SASS Wire Forum

vacation 2013

dutch bear

Howdy

the vacation is over for a couple of weeks now

so our thoughts go to "what do we want to do next year"

we know that it is early to start thinking about 2013,

but we have experience with accomodations in the national parks and that you have to book before Christmas or risk coming up empty.

the idea for next year is:

starting in LA or San Diego and travel all the way up the western coast to Seatle

starting somwhere between Half May and the end of May traveling for about 3 weeks

i'm looking for al tips you can give me on where to go, what to see, and what not

and are there matches on this route in the period that we want to go, that we just have to go to??

Thanx

Dutch Bear

Get a Good map of Calif. and try to drive on hwy 1 as much as possible. Some places 101 and 1 are the same, but with a good map you can stay closer to the ocean for a better view. Check the CC for local clubs along the way. Nice Vacation. Make sure you get off the main hwy and drive the Avenue of the Giants in the Redwoods.

Jake

The coast gets progressively cooler and wetter as you drive north. Be prepared for damp weather when you reach Oregon and Washington. Also the last weekend in May is Memorial Day - a national holiday in the US. It is the traditional beginning of summer holidays in the US. Lodging and camp sites are in short supply that weekend.

Howdy

the idea for next year is:

starting in LA or San Diego and travel all the way up the western coast to Seatle

starting somwhere between Half May and the end of May traveling for about 3 weeks

i'm looking for al tips you can give me on where to go, what to see, and what not

and are there matches on this route in the period that we want to go, that we just have to go to??

Thanx

Dutch Bear

Are you traveling by car or motor home?

Shotgun Boogie and Refill rent a Class C Motor home up the road from me at Road Bear in Agoura Hills - I suggest that you speak to them about the details.

Stay in touch with me, and Emmy and I would be happy to pick you up from LAX and get you over to Road Bear if you decide to go that route.

In any event we love to have you stop on by the house

If you want to shoot a local match or two, we can help out there as well

your pard

Coffee

Try and make to Olympia the 2nd weekend.

Mima Marauders is one great club.

Not sure you need to worry about rain. It's been 50 days

in the Pacific Northwet without measurable rain.

If it should rain all 6 bays are covered.

4th weekend Black River Regulators have thier monthly match.

Another great club.

Oh, you had better spend a little while in Southern California, DB! It'd be great to have you here, and take you to a couple of shoots!

Really, the Coast Highway is one of the best trips you can eer take; it's breathtaking, and a lot of fun. Your plan is excellent. Parks fill up in a hurry, so reservations are best made soon.

Let me know if there's anything that I can do to help! (And consider a stop at the Coffee residence! They are GOOD folks!)

Cheers,

Your amigo,

FJT

Get a Good map of Calif. and try to drive on hwy 1 as much as possible. Some places 101 and 1 are the same, but with a good map you can stay closer to the ocean for a better view. Check the CC for local clubs along the way. Nice Vacation. Make sure you get off the main hwy and drive the Avenue of the Giants in the Redwoods.

Jake

I'll second this in spades. Don't get on Hwy 1 if you're in a hurry, but much of it is breathtaking. Some of the most beautiful country in the US, bar none. And you "must" drive through the redwoods.

Howdy

First up, I’m sorry it took me a while to get back, but between work, a concussion and trying to organize the first Dutch Championship in CAS it is hard to keep up

(the concussion is a long story so I won’t bore you guys with it)

Thanks for all the tips an offers, FJT and Coffee we may take you up on those offers.

To the question RV or car, I think it will be a car at least for the first part of the trip, we have traveled highway 1 between LA and SF before(sadly we had sad news from home halfway the trip so we don’t remember that much of the trip) but as i remember it, Highway 1 is a road that you would wish that you had the motorcycle with you, and not an RV

Our trip to EOT last year was the first of about 10 trips to USA that we had an RV and although it is real nice to have all of the comforts with you, the driving is strenuous especially on the smaller windy roads

For now the big question is When? The how and how long will follow.

Best regards

Dutch Bear

Hwy 1 might be a white knuckle drive with a larger RV, but not a car. REDWOODS, FERNDALE, EUREKA are good stops. If you like cheese, a stop in Tillomuk, Oregon will satisfy that. If you're a "wing nut", the Hurcules (spruce goose) is up there. Ft. Clatstop (spl) (Lewis + Clark) is at the Columbia River in Oregon

TF

• 4 months later...

Howdy Folks

the plans are getting seriuos now,

plan is to fly to LAX on the 20th of May, do some sightseeing around the greater LA area and maybe visit a match in that area(i have seen something about a shoot in Norco????)

and then travel up the westcoast for 2 more weeks before we have to go back on the 9th of June(flying out of Seatle)

al sugestions are welcome

best Regards

Dutch Bear

Our club is a bit inland from the coast, but just up the road from Norco. We'd love to have you as our guests at the RRBar.

As far as "sights" in the LA area, it depends on what your interests are. Are you interested in history or museums? Will you have younger (or young at heart) folks with you that would like Disneyland? You could even be in the audience for a TV show taping.

Some other things that might interest you:

Autry Museum

Museum Of Radio And Television

Griffith Park Observatory

Hollywood Bowl

Pantages Theater

Kodak/Dolby Theater

This is a partial list. Let us know what interests you and we can put together a list for you.

howdy dutch bear,

we met last year in Cortez Colorado. you guys need to come back to colorado and shoot the Colorado State Championship june 6,7,8 near grand junction.

you will enjoy it and you will get to see alot more of colorado by coming here!

cbj

www.thundermountainshootists.com

Howdy Again Mr. Bear

Just wanted to once again offer our hospitality

if you need a place to stay for a few days, we have room

Auntie Emmy and I will be heading to the Cowboys Match - Ambush at Mill Creek on the 23rd - We can set you up with Guns etc if you are interested, and you are welcome to camp at the range with us. We have a 40 foot trailer - lots of room.

In any event give us a holler and we can pick you up from LAX and show you around some of the local sights

Coffee

About a 40 minute (on a good day on the 405) drive north of LAX is the WILLIAM S. HART RANCH and MUSEUM. The WILL ROGERS STATE PARK (ranch house and grounds) are up the coast from LAX about 30 minutes.

TF

Howdy

sorry it took me a while to respond but the work weeks are long at this moment.

Thanx for all the suggestions, keep ‘m coming

@coffee, thank you for the hospitality we will keep in contact via e-mail

@CBJ we would love to, but this year we want to go to the west coast and do the DOT in the Tjech Repulic, I hope we can do Cortez en and EOT next year(maybe Colorado state or HOW )

Hope to meet ya on the range

Dutch Bear

Archived