SASS Wire Forum

Anybody notice any shortages

Over on another forum, I noticed a statement about primer shortages. Did a little check on my suppliers and found that some of the advertised stock are out but there does not seem to be the wide spread panic that we

had four years ago. I have not been shooting for the last year or so, and my supplies are pretty stable. But that could change with a little luck. Anyone else notice a short fall onprimer/powder stocks?

Brass may be an issue but I blame that on the Chinese. Or Bush.

Plenty of Winchester primers at the store when I was there Wednesday.

Prices are up on everything from Ammo to Zucchini.

Gas price go up.....cost of business price go up.....everything price go up....

Sounds like Matsuo Takahashi (Arnold) in Happy Days :lol:

GG~ :FlagAm:

Yeah, I notice that price increase thingy also. Frequently prices go up, seldom do prices go down.

I did see a back order on Federal 30-06 brass but they suggested an in house date of 9/27/2012.

Over on another forum, I noticed a statement about primer shortages. Did a little check on my suppliers and found that some of the advertised stock are out but there does not seem to be the wide spread panic that we

had four years ago. I have not been shooting for the last year or so, and my supplies are pretty stable. But that could change with a little luck. Anyone else notice a short fall onprimer/powder stocks?

Brass may be an issue but I blame that on the Chinese. Or Bush.

SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Not so loud. You'll get everybody hoardin' agin, just like back in '08.

Moose ;)

Yupp shortage of federal small pistol. Also shortage of sixguns in my house ... working on that one ;)

Personally, I could use some more brass, but as I already have 1000 empties to load, I don't feel any rush to buy some.

Other than lead, both bullets and shot, and wads, I have enough to keep me shooting matches for quite a while. I loaded some 38s today and started another batch of brass thru the process. I'm developing Rock Chucker shoulder. I think I am getting closer to finally buying a progressive press. Not that I really need one for the amount I go thru a month, but just cuz I want one and I'm lazy :D

It may have been said already but, .....however............

There seems to be a "Holy Black" powder here in MN.

Aint to be found naw whars !

My Shooting Pard Wm. Munny Sass #165 and I used to go to the Great Western Gun Show and buy huge supplies of Primers and Powder and Bullets. Winchester Primers were $11.00 a brick or $55 a sleeve of 5000. White Boxes with Red and Orange stripes with silver colored primers. Never a DUD. I do have some Blue Boxes with Gold colored primers. He died in 2004 and I bought his supply from his Wife. So I have a huge supply of Bullets, Powder and Primers at 1990's prices. This is a Good thing. No shortage here. 8lbs Powder jugs. I bought some Dragon Brand Black Powder @ $4.35 lb if you bought 25 lbs. Still have about 17-18lbs.

Jake

My Shooting Pard Wm. Munny Sass #165 and I used to go to the Great Western Gun Show and buy huge supplies of Primers and Powder and Bullets. Winchester Primers were $11.00 a brick or $55 a sleeve of 5000. White Boxes with Red and Orange stripes with silver colored primers. Never a DUD. I do have some Blue Boxes with Gold colored primers. He died in 2004 and I bought his supply from his Wife. So I have a huge supply of Bullets, Powder and Primers at 1990's prices. This is a Good thing. No shortage here. 8lbs Powder jugs. I bought some Dragon Brand Black Powder @ $4.35 lb if you bought 25 lbs. Still have about 17-18lbs.

Jake

What yur opinion on Dragon Brand Black Powder ?

Aint heared dat one fore !

What yur opinion on Dragon Brand Black Powder ?

Aint heared dat one fore !

I like it. I use it in 45-70 and my Remington Rolling Block in 40-50 Sharps bottle-neck.

It wasn't supposed to come in 1 lb cans, but it did. This was bought in 1999. Maine Powder House.

We were paying $10 a lb for GOEX and thought we would try Dragon Brand FFg. I still use GOEX fffg in my cap and ball pistols.

Jake

.308 seems to be in short supply. I managed to find a good bit to stock up for the Zombie rifle. Most of the medium priced stuff is gone in the last 2-3 months. Most of what's left is the cheap Rooskie stuff and expen$ive US stuff. LOTS of "backordered" entries. :angry:

JHC

.308 seems to be in short supply. I managed to find a good bit to stock up for the Zombie rifle. Most of the medium priced stuff is gone in the last 2-3 months. Most of what's left is the cheap Rooskie stuff and expen$ive US stuff. LOTS of "backordered" entries. :angry:

JHC

Strange that you should mention that. I noticed that at one time everybody had 30-06. It was touted as the deer cartridge because everybody had some, even the Mom and Pop stores. Now not so much. Looks like the 223 stuff has knocked it out of #1 position. I still like the 30 caliber stuff overall.

Jake

Yup, I did the same. We would borrow a hand-truck to haul all the stuff out to the car.

Sure do miss that show.......

LG

Strange that you should mention that. I noticed that at one time everybody had 30-06. It was touted as the deer cartridge because everybody had some, even the Mom and Pop stores. Now not so much. Looks like the 223 stuff has knocked it out of #1 position. I still like the 30 caliber stuff overall.

Don't know that there's a shortage of '06 hunting ammo (haven't really checked, I load my own). Military stuff to feed a hungry Garand is probably another matter. I have noticed some military stuff, Iranian and Korean, around, but looks like the old GI ammo has dried up or become pricey. I'm sure the politics and fear is the reason .223 is more in demand. Lots more folks with 15's, mini 14's, etc etc buying ammo than '06 shooters. Ditto 7.62 Nato and Russian.

JHC

Archived