SASS Wire Forum

OT Cell Phone Service Cost Reduction

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

Looking to reduce the monthly cost of my cell service and the unlimited talk/data plan offered by Straight Talk looks attractive at $45 per month. Several stores offer this service including Wal-Mart. From what I have seen they use the Verizon towers to get the advertised great US wide coverage. Looks like no contract is needed but you do have to purchase your phone. You can keep your old number tho. Does anyone have any experience in using this cell/data service? What are the drawbacks?

I got Straight Talk for my dad, and he's used it for several months. It's been as reliable in my area as my current provider, AT&T, has been. Always a strong signal, no dropped calls. Works great for him. The drawbacks that I can think of are that you have to buy the phone, where the standard companies offer them free or for reduced amounts when you sign up for their contracts of course. I dont think their smart phones are badly priced from what I've seen though. It doesn't take many months of 45 dollars to make up the phone cost vs. a standard plan. Also you've got the question of purchasing new apps and music perhaps. That's about the only ones I can think of. I bought him a flip phone, no frills, but it's everything he needs. Honestly with the price per month, its almost to the point where I can't justify not going to it. I'd save about 900 a year on it, and seeing how my dad's phone works in northern Idaho, I'm a believer.

Just got to thinking. they're based on 30 day installments I believe, so you'll lose (and gain) time, rather than being strictly monthly. So you'll be reupping service on the 28th or 25th and sooner when you keep it for a while. Still a good price tradeoff if your monthly contract price is a lot, the day lost isn't really a deal breaker. Also if forever reason you forget to recharge it (if you dont have it set for autorenew) it's no big deal, you can pay online for another month and there are no additional charges, and it'll start righf back up. You don't get a grace day or two though, when they say 6 days left of service on your phone, they mean it. It'll shut off and you'll have to go online to renew, or maybe call from a landline or go in store to wal mart (not sure, I just did it online) to get service restored. I just go with the auto renew now for him so there aren't any issues.

I live in the hills next to the Mississippi River valley and some major cell companies do not even get service up here. Verizon and US Cellular are the two main carriers here. A few months ago my brother thought he would switch from US Cellular to Straight Talk. His reception with straight talk was so bad even sitting in the car next to me when I had full service that after 2 months he went on contract with Verizon instead. The main thing I guess would be to talk to some of your friends who drive and live in the same area you do, and see what they have for service. Even though our phones used the same towers, his reception was just plain laughable. The internet on his was so slow that he gave up after the second try. On the other hand, I have friends a half hour away who have great service with straight talk... All depends on where you are most of the time I guess.

Archived