SASS Wire Forum

Don't mess with the old farts

Subdeacon Joe

More to the story.

-------

92-Year-Old Shoots Burglar, Police Seize Weapon Used

September 5, 2012 by Bryan Nash

A 92-year-old World War II veteran is upset with deputies for how they treated him after he shot an intruder. Upon their arrival, the police told the shooter, Earl Jones, to lift his hands and they took his rifle.

According to Jones, three men broke into his rural Kentucky home in Boone County. When Jones heard them in his basement at about 2 a.m. Monday, he grabbed his .22 caliber rifle and sat in a chair, waiting on the burglars.

When the door opened, Jones fired a shot, killing Lloyd Maxwell, 24. Two robbers with Maxwell, Ryan Dalton and Donnie Inabnit, were apprehended and charged with second degree burglary.

“I was hoping another one would come up; I aimed right for his heart,” said Jones. “I didn’t go to war for nothing. I have the right to carry a gun. That’s what I told the police this morning.”

Jones believes the rifle used in the shooting should not have been taken by police.

“How am I going to protect myself if they come back looking for revenge?” he asked. “It was simple. That man was going to take my life. He was hunting me. I was protecting myself.”

-----------

Yet more to the story.

-------

The temporary seizure of the homeowners gun is just a footnote in the story of a home invasion gone bad.

After shooting the intruder, the homeowner did not call the police, but rather a neighbor who then called 911. When the police arrived at the scene the shooter was unwilling to put down his gun and raise his hands. “I told them, ‘I’m not putting my damn hands up.’ ” Arriving on the scene of a shooting the police have to consider their own safety. They don’t know what has really occurred or what might happen, and here is an man refusing to put down his weapon for police!

Once they got inside the house, the Police found the door to the basement ajar and, I assume blood, but no body. Not much to back up his story. Later the two surviving burglars were found and they admitted to breaking into the house and taking their friend away after the shooting, so it appears that there will be no charges filed against the homeowner.

When you consider that it is standard procedure to take a weapon used in a homicide for ballistics testing, that the call came from someone other than the homeowner, that the facts of the shooting were not clear and little evidence remained at the scene, and that the homeowner/shooter was initially uncooperative, this story becomes a lot less about police asserting unreasonable power and more about how not to handle the situation if you are forced to shoot an intruder in your home.

I don't think Mr. Jones is going to loose any sleep over this.

"These people aren't worth any more to me than a groundhog," Jones told the Kentucky Enquirer. "They have our country in havoc. We got so many damned crooked people walking around today."

When you consider that it is standard procedure to take a weapon used in a homicide for ballistics testing, that the call came from someone other than the homeowner, that the facts of the shooting were not clear and little evidence remained at the scene, and that the homeowner/shooter was initially uncooperative, this story becomes a lot less about police asserting unreasonable power and more about how not to handle the situation if you are forced to shoot an intruder in your home.

True. but you've got to put this thing into perspective. First off, the guy's 92. Second, remember Katrina? The police were confiscating firearms from law-abiding citizens. I'm not saying the old guy was right in being uncooperative, but looking at it from his viewpoint, I can see where he might be just a little paranoid. After all, his house was broken into three times, he's only got one gun, a .22 rifle, with which to protect himself, and who knows how long the police will keep it pending investigation. Yeah, I think I'd be a little miffed myself.

True. but you've got to put this thing into perspective. First off, the guy's 92. Second, remember Katrina? The police were confiscating firearms from law-abiding citizens. I'm not saying the old guy was right in being uncooperative, but looking at it from his viewpoint, I can see where he might be just a little paranoid. After all, his house was broken into three times, he's only got one gun, a .22 rifle, with which to protect himself, and who knows how long the police will keep it pending investigation. Yeah, I think I'd be a little miffed myself.

Let's all chip in, and buy the old man a .357. :FlagAm:

Let's all chip in, and buy the old man a .357. :FlagAm:

Yeah, I'm for it. Or how about a sawed-off Remington 870?

Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

JHC ;)

Not sure I would call this treachery. I would refer to it more like good sense. Common sense seems to be dead.

As for the youth and skill, more like yout and dishonesty.

As for the two admitted "accomplices," under the felony murder rule, they should be charged with murder one. When a death ~ any death ~ occurs during the commission of a felony, every person involved in committing the felony may be so charged.

That would get two more scumbags off the street.

Salud!

eGG

Archived