SASS Wire Forum

Better late than never Happy V-J Day!

Subdeacon Joe

I know, most now say it is Aug. 14/15. I hold with the date on which the documents of surrender were signed. Although I missed it by a day this year.

On the morning of 2 September 1945, the Allied and Japanese delegations met aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay for the formal signing of the surrender documents. After finishing an eloquent introductory statement, General MacArthur directed the representatives of Japan to sign the two instruments of surrender, one each for the Allied and Japanese governments. They were followed by representatives of the United States, China, the United Kingdom, the Soviet Union, Australia, Canada, France, the Netherlands, and New Zealand. World War II had formally ended, and President Truman declared 2 September to be the official VJ Day.

When living in Hawaii 1999, I took my Wife and Son to visit the just opened USS Missouri and stood on the deck where the signing took place. It's quite a trip through time to wander around the Ship. I remember seeing the Mighty MO arriving off shore in June of '98 and all the boats going out to Welcome her from her long tow from Bremerton (Seattle) Washington. Now moored right behind

the USS Arizona.

Jake

And the long nightmare was over at last.

Thanks for the reminder Joe.

And the long nightmare was over at last.

Thanks for the reminder Joe.

My honor to do so, Bob. Just a bit ashamed that I missed it by a day. Somehow I had it in my mind that Sunday was the 1st.

V-E and V-J Days are fast becoming forgotten days. My dads VFW post always had a small ceremony on both days, so I grew up knowing about them. We need to keep these days alive as part of our cultural memory. Same with Armistice Day, which I think was done a disservice when it was renamed "Veterans Day."

What did not happen because of the surrender of Japan:

Operation Downfall

My dad, a Marine in WWII, had already had the "Consider yourselves dead" talk concerning the part his division would play in Operation Olympic, a part of Operation Downfall. I have a feeling many here had fathers in the same situation.

A whole lot of us, and many more Japanese, would not be here if that invasion had happened.

What did not happen because of the surrender of Japan:

Operation Downfall

My dad, a Marine in WWII, had already had the "Consider yourselves dead" talk concerning the part his division would play in Operation Olympic, a part of Operation Downfall. I have a feeling many here had fathers in the same situation.

A whole lot of us, and many more Japanese, would not be here if that invasion had happened.

I had forgotten about that.

Thanks for the reminder.

Archived