SASS Wire Forum

Anyone go Dove hunting yet?

Dorado

I finally managed to get out and do some hunting this afternoon. I went at about 2pm and got my license then headed out back at around 6 and got me a few tasty birds. I was out about an hour when the game wardens showed up. First time I have ever seen them out here. Oh well. At least there doing their job. Real nice guys though, one even spotted a couple of birds for me to shoot while they were here.

Anyone else get a chance to head out hunting?

I made a go of it on Friday morning. Got my limit in about an hour. I must have found a good spot. Many birds, and NOT a soul around. ???

BBQ Grill, Bacon wrapped breasts, and a Cold Beer => PRICELESS!

Uhhh, season didn't start til Saturday..... :o .I won't tell! :lol: I've done it too. I didn't hunt yesterday but everyone else around me did. My yard became a dove sanctuary, until today. If I had gotten my license yesterday and gone hunting this morning I could have limited out in about an hour or so. It's a little sparser late in the day.

I already cleaned mine for the grill. Tomorrow I'll pluck 'em and leave them whole and try a couple of recipes I found.

Dove recipes.

They look really good.

Had a GREAT opening morning out on the ranch where my son works. He left for work yesterday morning at 0515... sends me a text 'bout a half hour after sunrise sayin' he had his limit - got a bit of a late start working. :rolleyes:

Went to a barbecue out there last night. Grub as a whole was terrific, but the dove was wunnerful...! Boned breasts wrapped around water chestnut then the whole wrapped in bacon and skewered, then grilled and served with hoisin sauce. Yum!! ^_^

Love to shoot them but they taste like flying Liver, yuck

Bugs

Bugs, if they taste like liver then the birds were overcooked. Overcooking will make them tough and livery every time. Cooked medium rare, they have a very pleasant flavor. I filet the breast meat off, put them on a skewer with bacon figure S'd over the breast meat. Sometimes add jalapanos, or pineapple, or bell peppers, or onions, and put them on the grill until medium rare.

Saturday, went up to Tennessee and a buddy and I went to a Wildlife Management Area and shot over a public field. Too many guns in the field to begin with but by mid-afternoon, many had left. I started off shooting poorly, then managed to scratch down a couple of singles. Got a heads up that a pair of birds were coming my way, and what do you know? After all that poor shooting I got a nice clean double! With witnesses!! ^_^

Saw a lot of birds killed over that field. We managed to come out of the field with 22 dove. I got 12 and my buddy got 10. My wife is happy. She hates liver, but loves grilled dove...that aren't overcooked. :D

Dove when cooked right are really good. I'm going to be trying a couple of new recipes this year, but I'll also stick with stuffing a jalapeno with creme cheese, boning the breast out and wrapping the jalapeno with the breast and bacon. Grill over mesquite, side of beans and beer...Mmmmmmmmmmm.

It's been many a moon since I last went dove huntin'. Had to be when I was a boy ! (Gawd..........Whar has da years went too ? !)

Round here, dove huntin' aint tarryed nary abit ! Be more like it da one doin' da shootin' to be shot !

Nope......round here da only dove huntin' goin on is what freeze it came out of in da store's dairy case !

They were shooting in the fields all around my house this morning. It sounded like I was at the gun club.

BLB did you find any bullet holes in your house? I heard that Ole CC mightn a been a huntin' up your way :)

Yep

Mixed bag, whitewing, morning and some ring necks - great way to start a holiday weekend

found out the ringnecks are not supposed to count for the limit.....coulda stayed out longer.

About to go grill them with the bacon wrapped stuffed with jalapeno......yum

keep it unreal

Cowboy Small

Where did you go? There are not much public land out here in N. Texas. I was thinking about going up I-35 but didn't want to splurge on the Annual Public Hunting permit.

I went out in my backyard. I have about 4 acres outside of city limits, so I can just walk out the backdoor and shoot. I have 15 in the freezer from yesterday. I gave what I shot today to the neighbor's kids, they couldn't hit any. lol I thought about heading to some public land around Lake Ray Roberts but I figured it would would be packed with people. I may go later on and do some squirrel and hog hunting.

YES !

But the Stoeger SXS 12ga dont leave any Dove :lol:

Archived