SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning hat

I bought an old (25+-) Stetson while on vacation. I proceeded to wet it down for a brim reshape, and it released the nicotine from the old owner.

What is the proper way of completely cleaning a hat?

Thanks

TF

Tom if it is a real Cowboy hat. That is made of Beaver. Water will do no harm. How can water harm a Beaver. Real Cowboy hats are all weather hats. Sometimes I soak them in Water over night, with Dawn dishwashing cleaner which gets out all of the grease. In essence it will take the new shape that you let it dry in. If you don't like it, just re-wet it with plain water, set it in the shape that you want it on a good fan, an let it dry.

I have tried dusting with Corn Starch but it is a waste of time. Soap and water in the end does the deed fine. Dawn may lighten it so you have to do the whole hat with Dawn to keep it the same color. That could also be old shellac that you see washing out. You can use plain water anytime, anywhere when you reshape parts. Do you want to remove that god-awful rodeo ass's of America crease and put in a Gus?

http://www.oldlivery.com/store/pictures/CBL-DOVE-C03.jpg

Brushing

I bought an old (25+-) Stetson while on vacation. I proceeded to wet it down for a brim reshape, and it released the nicotine from the old owner.

Thanks

TF

OUTSIDE.......... :P

LG

Archived