SASS Wire Forum

Not renewing SASS membership

Fox Tail Bob

Widder,

You are a good man for not having issues with .22s in your category.

I like the concept of a "beginner's category."

Unfortunately, many folks have forgotten that SASS does encourage local trials of new categories. They even offered Senior GF, which is not in "the books" at EOT. Many matches, including state matches, offer FCGF. The Cowboys had a category at Gun Fight Behind Jersey Lily that allowed shooting the match without the SG. They have a variety of categories that are not in the booklet.

We have a local club, which is not SASS affiliated, that offers many gun accomodations at their matches. Some folks shoot DA or .22 pistols... They have practice days (not a match) twice a month where new folks can try a variety of different SASS-legal guns to assist in a purchase decision. A SASS-affiliated club could do the same thing.

I see no down side to offering alternate categories at monthly matches. It costs nothing.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Why limit it to 'Beginner's' ?? If at local matches or even a state match wanted to have a 'Rimfire' class that adults would like to sign up for that would be great.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't be renewing eitherThat's why I purchased a Life Membership in 2004 !!

22's suck for our game.

Go ahead and count for 22's...now try and do it accurately.

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Now excuse me, but I've gotten into drag racing and have to go get some new engine components. I keep buying stuff that isn't allowed in my class...sure wish they were...hopefully I be lucky and get legal stuff this time. I know I could find the answers out before I spend the money but then I wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

22's suck for our game.

Go ahead and count for 22's...now try and do it accurately.

Phantom

Now excuse me, but I've gotten into drag racing and have to go get some new engine components. I keep buying stuff that isn't allowed in my class...sure wish they were...hopefully I be lucky and get legal stuff this time. I know I could find the answers out before I spend the money but then I wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

Now what is it you are bitching about now? :lol:

22 is a very high velocity round that does not react the same on our targets at our distances as do the larger and slower pistol calibers.

After 6 years of a lot of rounds down range I witnessed the very first time that a ricochet penetrated muscle. It was a .22 shot on a good steel plate almost 20 yards away. The fragment cleanly penetrated another shooter's forearm right through skin and muscle.

Yes, we've all had splatter that left a red spot or made a cut and even a hunk of lead that thunked. But, we were all shocked to see a clean entry and exit. It required a trip to the ER; the Sheriff had some interest and a report to write, etc. etc.

The incident raised quite a few eyebrows to say the least.

22 is a very high velocity round that does not react the same on our targets at our distances as do the larger and slower pistol calibers.

After 6 years of a lot of rounds down range I witnessed the very first time that a ricochet penetrated muscle. It was a .22 shot on a good steel plate almost 20 yards away. The fragment cleanly penetrated another shooter's forearm right through skin and muscle.

Yes, we've all had splatter that left a red spot or made a cut and even a hunk of lead that thunked. But, we were all shocked to see a clean entry and exit. It required a trip to the ER; the Sheriff had some interest and a report to write, etc. etc.

The incident raised quite a few eyebrows to say the least.

Well that is a concern...and a valid one at that...

What are going to do with the Buckaroo's that shoot 22's? I want to get my daughter shooting but if they pose a danger I certainly wouldn't want her to accidentally hurt someone and have to live with that...

Edited: started a thread to discuss this...

I really wasn't referring to .22's to solve the problem. Two .22 pistols and a lever gun plus a .410 shotgun is still a large sum for a new shooter, we need to think of ways to significantly reduce start up costs. Perhaps a one gun or two gun stage in any combination, whatever the newby happens to have. NCOWS has some pretty restrictive requirements, but from what I understand they have grace periods for their folks to acquire the right equipment. ;)

BSD

Well that is a concern...and a valid one at that...

What are going to do with the Buckaroo's that shoot 22's? I want to get my daughter shooting but if they pose a danger I certainly wouldn't want her to accidentally hurt someone and have to live with that...

Edited: started a thread to discuss this...

Buckaroo/ette's shoot 22's and we screw up counting for them a lot!!!!

The issue that comes into play for me is scoring for 22's.

Two EMF Hartford SAA revolvers $700 (on sale right now)

One Rossi Puma $400 (on sale right now)

One Stoeger Double Barrel SG $350 (on sale right now)

On double strong side rig $120 (on sale right now)

Total cost $1,570, plus shipping and FFL just over $1,700.

It took me all of 10 minutes to find those.

Would this be such a problem? It would not be keeping shooters all of the required guns from shooting in 2 gun matches. Many of the responses here say that the shooting is only a very small part of CAS, and shooting with 2 guns doesn't change any of that.

It can be called the SASS Recession class.

Really can't believe this thread is still goin' but.. it is..

I started out without a single SASS gun... 8-9 years ago..

I had a 30/30 lever action collector edition rifle under the bed... never shot..

I had a nice 20 gage SxS collector... under the bed..never shot..

Friend took me to one match... Loaned me guns, leather & ammo.. LOVED IT!!!

I went the other direction...

I took the guns that I never shot and traded them

for guns for the SASS Cowboy Action shooting...

Seems a lot of todo about a feller that didn't like the SASS outfit and left..

He was nice enough to give us a very nice reasoning..

but heck.. he didn't say change the sport just fer me... just said "It ain't fer me"

I, myself, don't like Wild Bunch.. shot it a few times.. thought ain't fer me..

Won't buy a 1911.. don't like shootin' it.. just ain't my cup of tea...

Same friend said I ought to get into IPSCA or somethin' like that..

Told him NOPE.. got enough to learn about now... He never took offense..

Just knew it wasn't fer me.. that's all.. :blush:

Original poster found he liked other guns and shooting sports better... more power to him..

He made a good decision I feel... fer him.. not me..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' some folks like our sport.. some don't...

Next shooter... :)

I have no issue with a category for newcomers who are short equipment. I'm just not convinced that start up costs are keeping a significant number of prospective shooters out. I would have joined years ago, but I didn't know the sport existed. I subscribed to G&A for many years before there was an article that mentioned CAS and SASS (thanks Phil S.). Perhaps targeted advertising would help more than a special new category?

:FlagAm: I appreciate your honesty and perspective. Sorry to see you go even though I don't know you. I have no plans to give up shooting SASS. I also have no plans to give up hunting big game with a rifle, muzzle stuffer or a trad bow. On occasion, I will shoot a match with a AR, 870 and 1911. Not stopping that either. There are those days when I will take out my fancy Ruger shotgun and bust a bunch of clays. What I'm saying is I shoot because I truly enjoy the shooting sports, all of them. This sport of CAS is not for everyone, it is costly. I shoot in the CC catagory by choice and enjoy the stuff that goes with the catagory. I just really enjoy the history of the guns and costuming. Heck my first gun was a single action and so was my second and third. My first rifle was a lever gun. It just was a natural fit for me. Having been asked why do you do this, all I can come up with is three words. "Its just fun." I found my niche, find yours and enjoy it. Remember to make the most of your journey and play hard for those who are not able to play anymore. Safe trails Pard..... :FlagAm:

There are always costs associated with starting up in a new sport. That is certainly one of the factors to consider when thinking about ours. But by comparison they are no more onerous than those of other sports. Golf requires equipment, certain attire (or as some would say costumes), lesson, green fees ($100 seems average to me), a golf membership etc. Not too hard to ut a dent in your cash with golf, or for that matter skiing.

Having said all of that, honest feedback is worth its weight in gold. And we must be doing something right because we attracted to the game an honest and upright cowboy who spoke his mind, told it the way it was from his point of view and shared it with the rest of us. Seems to me that is about all you can ask.

Colt's definitely are expensive. The post was in response to the reported costs of starting up. They can be high if you plan on buying top end stuff, but if you're really interested in getting started there are less expensive alternatives. I bought my first pair of New Vaqueros used for $800.00, a couple of sets of springs later they shot fine.

I am a new member as well. I am 66 years old, been there done that and have plenty of tee shirts and ball caps to prove it. I would like to give you my perspective on CAS. Where else can someone my age be with like minded people in a sport that is only as competitive as you want it to be? What other competition shooting allows the old timers to compete with just other old timers in their senior catagory? I have not shot a match yet, my first happens tomorrow morning but I have been to several practice sessions and realized that I was with some of the nicest people I have ever met and being in their company was worth the couple SS checks I had to fork out for the guns and gear. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the sport.I for one was tired of going to an indoor range to shoot at pieces of paper, with no one to share the boring experience with, paid my fee, shot the paper and went home thinking "that was boring and not worth the time or money"

People my age who like guns and shooting and are willing to dress up like a cowboy are considered a couple clicks off by many. Well,I am a couple clicks off I guess but I am in real good company with the CAS people I shoot with.

You might want to give it a little more thought before you bail out on the organization and the sport. To me IT IS ALL ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE, the bang and clang is secondary to that and the competition is third..only my opinion of course. Good luck to you!!!

Slick 2 I too am an Elder Statesman, I'm 71 and really enjoy CAS. Great people, lots of help, and the enjoyment of not having your age be a factor in where you wind up when the sun sets. Plus there's also a lot of Ladies there. Nothing like a girl with a gun in her hand. Keep 'yer powder dry.

Colt's definitely are expensive. The post was in response to the reported costs of starting up. They can be high if you plan on buying top end stuff, but if you're really interested in getting started there are less expensive alternatives. I bought my first pair of New Vaqueros used for $800.00, a couple of sets of springs later they shot fine.

When I started, I followed your bottom dollar plan, Uberti Cattleman pistols, Puma lever gun, and the Stoeger SxS. Problem was, the Uberti's were both broken inside of 6 months just using cowboy loads, the Puma got to the point where it wouldn't load rounds and we started having light primer strikes, and the Stoeger locked up with live shells in the chamber. The Uberti's were traded off for Ruger OMV's, the Puma was traded for a Henry, and the Stoeger was repaired for $100. The upgrades plus the clothing, gun leather, ammo, and gun cart put me over $4000. Your original suggestion is similar to someone recommending a Rossi .38 for an IDPA match. ;)

BSD

Wow, what a thread! I have issues with the SASS game and how it's played at times.........but I deal with it and just keep comin' back because of the people. As I've been quoted as saying: SASS.....join for the shootin', but STAY because of the people!

I won't waste my time battling with folks on long winded wire threads. I will, however, spend my valuable time with my SASS Pards and Pardettes on and off the range. Best wishes to all!

Wow, what a thread! I have issues with the SASS game and how it's played at times.........but I deal with it and just keep comin' back because of the people. As I've been quoted as saying: SASS.....join for the shootin', but STAY because of the people!

I won't waste my time battling with folks on long winded wire threads. I will, however, spend my valuable time with my SASS Pards and Pardettes on and off the range. Best wishes to all!

+1

Ricochet Roy

Actually it's post 42, and no, I usually don't open links that don't have an idea as to what they are.

Please look at this thing from the view of a newbie just starting out. They don't memorize the rule book. They may not know how to get the best deals that fit the complex rule structure. They may not know what caliber to shoot, what holsters to get, or how to use them correctly.

Sounds like the Ostrich strategy of life. Afraid that you might learn something that you don't already know?

I am open to new things. I open them up in tabs just to see what they are.

Hello Cremony,

First, I believe that a reasonable person would at least refer to the rule books, which are available for download, before making purchases. Fox Tail Bob made big mistakes in gun purchases by not doing this.

Second, Bad Hand is referring to the potential of opening a harmful Website and getting a virus from using some links. Sure, he probably opens links provided by SASS or people he knows on this Website. I believe he was hesitant to open your unidentified links not all links.

Although, the original poster was critical, he was polite. You, on the other hand, have been insulting and reactions to you have been biased by it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

<snip>

Although, the original poster was critical, he was polite. You, on the other hand, have been insulting and reactions to you have been biased by it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Agree...

<snip>

Two gun rigs fit our Cowboy Action Shooting times :) .. it fullfills our spirit :)and we dress fer it.. :)

Reckon they don't fill yers :blush:

Rance <_<

Thinkin'.. I'm ok with "We can't please everyone" it ain't everyones sport :mellow:

." if shooting two guns in sequence to save time reloading had been an issue after 1873, Colt would have addressed it sooner. "

What the heck is this supposed to mean? Do you think that Colt wouldn't sell two revolvers to one person? You say that Colt could have addressed the issue sooner. When did they address it? I guess you can be more authentic by not participating in shooting matches, because very few cowboys did back in the cowboy era. Smokin Gator

Hello Cremony,

Regards,

Allie Mo

For fact! That is why his posts were 'pulled' by the 'mods'.

LG

All this arguing goes back to the OP. He didn't care for our game the way we play it, so he's moving on. Nothing wrong with that. My take is that this game was NEVER meant to re-enact the Old West, if it did, we'd have to set up saloons and kill each other. That wouldn't help membership. The number of guns ain't the issue, the money ain't the issue, in my opinion the issue is some folks just don't like what we do, and others just like stirring the pot. I would change a few things about our sport, but none of it is important enough to make me want to quit nor does it hurt my enthusiam and enjoyment of our game....

Hello,

This is SASS not NCOWS. We have rules, requirements, and recommendations that have proven successful over the years. This is demonstrated by the continued growth in membership. We are not reenactors. We are a fantasy sport. Members like the fantasy of "more shooting with more guns," and no requirement for perfectly authentic clothing.

Maybe you should stop baiting folks and check out reenacting. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

All this arguing goes back to the OP. He didn't care for our game the way we play it, so he's moving on. Nothing wrong with that. My take is that this game was NEVER meant to re-enact the Old West, if it did, we'd have to set up saloons and kill each other. That wouldn't help membership. The number of guns ain't the issue, the money ain't the issue, in my opinion the issue is some folks just don't like what we do, and others just like stirring the pot. I would change a few things about our sport, but none of it is important enough to make me want to quit nor does it hurt my enthusiam and enjoyment of our game....

:lol:

Archived