SASS Wire Forum

Not renewing SASS membership

Fox Tail Bob

I am a new member as well. I am 66 years old, been there done that and have plenty of tee shirts and ball caps to prove it. I would like to give you my perspective on CAS. Where else can someone my age be with like minded people in a sport that is only as competitive as you want it to be? What other competition shooting allows the old timers to compete with just other old timers in their senior catagory? I have not shot a match yet, my first happens tomorrow morning but I have been to several practice sessions and realized that I was with some of the nicest people I have ever met and being in their company was worth the couple SS checks I had to fork out for the guns and gear. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the sport.I for one was tired of going to an indoor range to shoot at pieces of paper, with no one to share the boring experience with, paid my fee, shot the paper and went home thinking "that was boring and not worth the time or money"

People my age who like guns and shooting and are willing to dress up like a cowboy are considered a couple clicks off by many. Well,I am a couple clicks off I guess but I am in real good company with the CAS people I shoot with.

You might want to give it a little more thought before you bail out on the organization and the sport. To me IT IS ALL ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE, the bang and clang is secondary to that and the competition is third..only my opinion of course. Good luck to you!!!

Sadly enough you have hit the nail on the head with a big problem with SASS. It is the age of lot (maybe majority) of the members. What does a young person have in common with a bunch of old guys and why would he even want to hang out with them?

A second problem is the lack of action in CAS. A lot of SASS matches today have little in common with the original matches. How many 66 year olds can climb onto a hobby horse or ride in a ore cart?

A third big problem is the cost of the guns. Holy batwings! The retail today for a Uberti 73 is up to $1,100. The cost of four guns alone is a couple of months rent and then filling the fridge up for the cost of leather.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puuhhhleeeezee..... tell that to Spence, Bud, Snake, Tater, etc. etc. etc. There are plenty of guys in every age bracket. You might actually want to get out to a shoot sometime, maybe one of the big ones.. like Comin At Cha and find out why it's sold out months in advance.

Bring your party shades. B)

I've known a great many people that have quit this game. For this reason or that. Few have come out and said why. Your statement is well reasoned, and your reasons are sound, for you. Just as others have found immense enjoyment and comraderie in this game... others have not. Some love the competition and concetrate their efforts and energy in it. Others don't even try. For some of those that don't excel at the shooting, they find the costuming and history to be their over-riding motivation for involvement. Still others are fixated on the shooting, ammo and guns whether they're "competitors" or not... they have a love of experimenting with both modern and historical rounds... finding out what works now, and what worked then... especially some of the BP shooters.

The fact is, this game ain't for everyone... nor was it envisioned so. If you have a love, or even a good appreication of pistol calibered leverguns, single action revolvers and shotguns of a by-gone era, then you'll probably fit... if not, well, good luck in your future leisure activities.

My hope is that your experience wouldn't be cause to discourage others to give it a try. For just as it's not your "cup of tea", it just might be that the next person you talk to might just find the sport to be a perfect fit.

To expand on what Brother King said, young folks like Tater and Campo Kid and several others are the future of our sport. You will almost always see them hanging out with us old farts after a match talking baseball or football or cars or guitars.

Yeah! They do spend much of their time with people their own age as well, but many of them make a point of coming to see and hangin' with their older friends as well!!

From what I have seen, age has little to do with the associations and friendships you see in S.A.S.S. :FlagAm:

I am new to SASS. I have not made the investment in guns as of yet as my fellow shooters are always there to lend me what I need.

I can understand the logic behind the OP's comments. But like many of the shooting sports it is the commraderie which seals the deal and the committment of paticipation.

Without the fellowship, you are just shooting steel, and that can be done as equally well with a 22 as a 45.

I understand the OPs concern. I have competed in other shooting sports, and my reason for joining CAS was for the social aspects as much as anything else which has evaporated in the other disciplines I was shooting.

Eldorado Jack

I think many clubs may be getting in the cookie cutter mode but its what

the shooters want(big&close)what we need to do is cater more to the new shooter

a little more.At our club we offer 2&3 gun categories(even 22 cal)this gives new

shooters a chance to get their feet wet with out a lot of cash outlay.

The OP stated he had a 30-30 and a pistol.With the adding of shot gun he could

shoot Cody/Dixon at our club.If we are worried about getting and keeping new shooters

We should try to cater to them some way(a new shooters clinic has been a big success at

the Ten Horns-also wild bunch-Cody/Dixon and the 2&3 gun categories.Just my 2 cents...

Diablo Slim

Texas Ten Horns -Greenville Tx

Come to Orange,in Texas.No cookie cutter club.Lots of different things.The people or great the shoots are great.I came in last yesterday but had fun doing it.I can shoot steel in my yard but the people at Orange and Lake Charles are fun to be with,and that what sass is to me.I can get my butt kicked by a World Champion and by young kids and by men older than I am and I am 69.Sass to me is about the people.There are a few that that can rub you the wrong way on the wire and at shoots but most will do any thing for you and that how I try to live the cowboy way.They have been there for me for prayers ,to help me with guns or just to sat and talk.Sass to me Is my very large family.Like has been said this is not for every one,But it sure is for me.Good luck with what ever to find.

There is not a thing wrong with your assessment of how"YOU FEEL ABOUT SASS".

There are people from all walks of life in this thing and the reason for the categories we have is that people like shooting the game in different fashions.

We have a member who is a large man in frame size that stands about 6ft 3 or so that shoots the 32S&W long for his chosen caliber. The reason why is it allows him to go through the targets like a box of EX-LAX and he finishes at the top in most matches.Then we have those like myself who choose to shoot the original Black Powder of the times with cases stuffed as full as you can get them. When the loud BOOM, FLAMES,SPARKS and SMOKE leaves the barrel with enough recoil to put the barrel in a 90 degree position from where it was when the trigger dropped, we grin as wide as can be. We finish way down the overall but we have fun.

It's very sad in one thing as I read your posting. I wish that you would of had a close friend or someone close to you to take you to at least 3 matches, at different clubs if possible. That would have given you a much better idea of the game and how it is played.

I was a cop that shot all kinds of gun matches as I was the firearms instructor and a huge history buff. Put history and guns together and you have my reason for shooting.

I attended about 8 matches at two clubs before signing up.

I'm sorry that you did not find anything to your liking here but that is what life is all about, finding your own way.

Take Care and the best of luck to you, Fairshake PS AS someone else posted, no problem with stating your views.

Thanks for posting. I would wish that anyone considering not renewing, or not shooting CAS anymore, would also be as honest and post. Maybe there are things we can do to help, or guide into a direction which maybe more enjoyable. Some shooters have changed categories, gone to different clubs, and found a change to continue and have more fun in shooting CAS. Just in past 2 years, there are over a dozen, I see no more. Whats odd is they seemed to enjoy shooting. Except for 1 who did say, I wish the others had said something in which we could have helped. MT

You looking for guns you can't use for CAS?????

I got a bowling ball that you can't golf with, make you a good deal.

That is funny, guess I didn't read the post very well. It was kind of a rambling' thing so I "sped" red it! :) Rye

This sport is about 10% shooting the single action cowboy guns we all love .

Then it is 90% Comradery with good friends and new Pards.

Were I come from we have Loughs , harassing , Food , and a Darn good time .

You might wont to try to git one or to of your personal friends to shoot the game with you.

You might find you will have much more fun.

Good luck .

God bless.

It can't be a good fit for all people.

I recently took my 15 year old nephew out and let him shoot my cowboy guns. I asked him if he liked it? He replied "I like shooting"? He didn't get the rush of excitement that most of us cowboys got the fist time we shot a stage. He likes black gun stuff. Lots of rules and costumes don't fit into his idea of fun? hard for me to understand because I love it so much.

I hope you find your happy place, thousands of folks have found theirs with SASS/Cowboy Action.

Ringer

This sport is about 10% shooting the single action cowboy guns we all love .

Then it is 90% Comradery with good friends and new Pards.

Another sharp point made.

I like to shoot....a lot.

I like action...a lot.

The name of our sport is Cowboy Action Shooting and Single Action Shooting Society.

The big events stress this with their stage design.

Young adults like excitement and action...motorcycles, jet ski's, football, baseball, action filled video games...

5,5,10, 4...yawn.

And then three grand cash layout for guns, leather, silly outfits...

Makes for a nice down payment of motorcycle I am lusting after...

And lets not forget the family committments of young adults. Sure wives and children can participate but...ching, ching, ching...more dollars that can be spent on something that is easier for the whole family to enjoy.

CAS should be 90% shooting while having fun but a social gathering of old folks who are not really interested in competitive shooting is creating challenges with attracting younger shooters.

Pretty lame You keep buying guns inappropriate for SASS and then Criticize the game for requiring proper guns and the need for two handguns You never wanted to play SASS...Period You just keep contradicting yourself making excuses. Your God .given right. But at least be honest....Sounds liike anything with rules and equipment requirements just isn't for you.Bye.....

Another sharp point made.

I like to shoot....a lot.

I like action...a lot.

The name of our sport is Cowboy Action Shooting and Single Action Shooting Society.

The big events stress this with their stage design.

Young adults like excitement and action...motorcycles, jet ski's, football, baseball, action filled video games...

5,5,10, 4...yawn.

And then three grand cash layout for guns, leather, silly outfits...

Makes for a nice down payment of motorcycle I am lusting after...

And lets not forget the family committments of young adults. Sure wives and children can participate but...ching, ching, ching...more dollars that can be spent on something that is easier for the whole family to enjoy.

CAS should be 90% shooting while having fun but a social gathering of old folks who are not really interested in competitive shooting is creating challenges with attracting younger shooters.

Not flaming but just an observation. Sounds like it is time for you to move on!! Sell your stuff and get that bike you are lusting for.

That is what it should be about.. lusting, lusting, rawhide,,,,move on,,,, I mean toward your hobby. :lol:

What was you thinking I was going to say? :)

I'm a new SASS member, most likely not going to renew...

Hi Bob,

Your post starts out like you aren't certain that you will not renew. So, maybe you are looking for us to change your mind. :unsure:

Those of us who love this sport want to share the fun with as many others as we can. So, I hope you will reconsider. :)

I'd only shot a gun maybe three times before starting to practice for CAS. I'd never shot any competitions. So, that isn't really a factor for loving a sport. However, I have seen that some folks who have shot other competitive sports do tend to excel with less practice. If coming out on top is important to you, you will most likely need to practice.

If you didn't research what guns were appropriate before buying, you really should not blame the game. You might like the CAS guns as well as or better than those you bought. I mostly use a Winchester model '97 pump shotgun. Yet, I find it fun to add the variety of a model '87 lever SG.

Besides varying the guns you use, you could vary shooting styles, if you are able. I shoot my pistols with a two-handed grip. Some folks, like Madd Mike, like to try different categories, like Duelist (one-handed grip) or Gunfighter (a pistol in each hand), or different propellants, smokeless or black powder.

It seems to me that any sport that encourages getting shots off rapidly and accurately could help a hunter. CAS seems like it would help you with your hunting more than other sports like golf or motorcycle riding... ;)

It also seems that you have limited yourself to one area. I've also found some uniformity among clubs at one venue or area. We have five cowboy clubs shooting at the same venue with shared props and targets. That makes for some uniformity. Maybe, before giving up, you should try to branch out a bit. After a several year hiatus from attending many annual matches, I've started going to a variety of them again. It is so much fun to interact with different people and see how different clubs do things.

I and others shoot alone. My thoughts on that are, you won't be alone for long. Attend a few matches and you will find folks welcome you like an old friend.

We had three people watching my posse shoot yesterday. One was committed to shooting, had already joined SASS, and bought most of his guns. The other two had only watched once before. All three were talking, laughing, and having fun with the posse. It was heartwarming.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Pretty lame You keep buying guns inappropriate for SASS and then Criticize the game for requiring proper guns and the need for two handguns You never wanted to play SASS...Period You just keep contradicting yourself making excuses. Your God .given right. But at least be honest....Sounds liike anything with rules and equipment requirements just isn't for you.Bye.....

Again SS is "rite-on" :excl:;)

IMHO, the OP never intended to play the SASS game. <_<

LG

Not flaming but just an observation. Sounds like it is time for you to move on!! Sell your stuff and get that bike you are lusting for.

That is what it should be about.. lusting, lusting, rawhide,,,,move on,,,, I mean toward your hobby. :lol:

What was you thinking I was going to say? :)

With a handle like Blastmaster what else can you say? :blink:

But why do I have to limit myself to one hobby? Kind of a one dimensional life at least for me. :mellow:

Are you saying that since I enjoy CAS matches for the action and shooting and not for spending 90% of my time socializing I should move on? Of course clubs are made of like minded members so if the members are in for it for the socializing then I who I am to challenge the majority. :unsure:

Or should I move on because I liked SASS better in the early days when the rulebook was smaller and simpler and more we did a lot more action. That is not to say that some of clubs mentioned here are exciting and fun but alas to far for me. :unsure:

That was one of the big things that appealed to me with Mounted Shooting.

What can I say. I like to shoot. Even more when it is someone elses ammo. When I was a LEO sometimes I won't qualify the first time around just so I stick around and burn more department ammo on the reshoot stage. Rangemaster hated me cause they knew I was sandbagging.

Hmmm...point well taken.

Oh here is the trike I am lusting after:

http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/

It has taken me a while to warm up to the two steering wheels up front. Lots of room up front for CAS gear to.

I first read through Fox Tail Bob's post last night, I spent the next 20 or so minutes trying to think of a shooting sport that isn't repetitive, or as some posters have said "cookie cutter" or as FTB said "boring" I can't think of a shooting sport I don't enjoy-from highpower (repetitive so it must be boring), IDPA more movement but (repetitive so it must be boring) my favorite shooting sports are gopher and praire dog shooting (repetitive so it must be boring)and CAS (repetitive so it must be boring). Well you get the idea, so next I went to other sports-started with target sports, archery and golf, guess what (rsimbb) In golf of course you have about 12 guns instead of only 4 for different applications. So I moved on to other sports, swimming, bicycle racing, tennis, holy crap-the further I go down the list the more repetitive they get.

If becoming proficient and competitive with the dozen or so guns I use for CAS, and shooting more at a state match than most gun owners shoot in a year is boring to you, you definately made the right choice. Some folks I know think the most exciting way to spend an afternoon is watching golf on TV. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

With all those new guns to shoot at least you won't quit shooting anytime soon.

Shoot straight

Doc

Doc has a great point. You want boring? Try trap & skeet! How about 10,000 miles on a bike in May, yes..May. Rode 2387 miles w/o tunes for a friend.

Shoot a stage in 24 seconds...do ya get bored watching 20 more?

See, what I've noficed is that you can't get out of something much more than you put in it.

I wonder how many miles of black lines M Phelps has had to endure?

Now I had some money to buy new guns, a real rarity for me! :D

If your problem is due to having too small of a budget for firearms, then consider enlisting in the Army National Guard for the extra income. The money earned from weekend drill can be your gun budget. To find out if you are qualified, pick up the telephone and call 1-800-GO-GUARD to talk to a recruiter.

See, problem solved! :)

If your problem is due to having too small of a budget for firearms, then consider enlisting in the Army National Guard for the extra income. The money earned from weekend drill can be your gun budget. To find out if you are qualified, pick up the telephone and call 1-800-GO-GUARD to talk to a recruiter.

See, problem solved! :)

Waaa haaa haaa! :)

Hunting anything isn't cheap, unless you shoot it off your back porch.

Cost per pull of trigger is way up there, by the time you count in travel time/cost, the few shots fired (ammo), clothing (camo this, camo that), specialized firearm (17mag for varmits to 300 mag for the bigger game) with scope and such, and the licenses.

Brother King, what does a guided elk hunt cost for an out of stater in Colorado/Montana/Wyoming?

Not ragging, but putting stuff into prospective.

OP has all the right to spend his money on hunting stuff.

(Or should I move on because I liked SASS better in the early days when the rulebook was smaller and simpler and more we did a lot more action. That is not to say that some of clubs mentioned here are exciting and fun but alas to far for me.)

You can say that about NASCAR also or any other sport that has evolved.????

KK

Hi Folks,

When I first read the OP, I had negative thoughts; but, kept them to myself. I rather liked this post of Rolan's. Some of you have made other negative posts and I don't think they reflect the nature and friendliness of our sport.

So, I decided to take the higher road with my post. :unsure::ph34r: I hope Bob will consider that we are all different "individuals" and our experiences/opinions are not the same. Nor will his experiences be the same at every club he attends.

Bob, don't give up on us so quickly.

Regards,

Allie Mo

When I 1st read this I ignored it for reasons others listed didn't seem like the op was really that interested in cowboy action shooting,I've been at 6 yrs now and still love it and have a heck of alot of friends around the state of FL and the southeast.Out of most shooting sports I can think of cas is the least repetitive.

Good Luck to the op

Bye AO

Bad Hand-you didn't download Rolan Kraps photo bucket pic did you-its post #58 with pics

Doc

Actually it's post 42, and no, I usually don't open links that don't have an idea as to what they are.

Uhhh...Blastmaster, I know you know better than to ever tell anyone what the real cost of 1 elk is! Yikes! Just the license this year is $500. Outfitter is $4-6k. We just started and there are no guarantees either. Better stay w/ squirrels off the back porch. Heck, I hunted 5 yrs for the 1 I wanted & came home skunked 4 / 5. Got where my family called it "bow hiking".

I thank everyone for their replies, and especially thank those who've given me suggestions for other shooting sports.

I believed I went out of my way to make it clear I was NOT criticizing SASS, so I admit t to being a bit surprised at the apparent vindictiveness of some replies, but I recognize that SASS is made up of many individuals, most of whom are great people, and some of whom are the south ends of north facing donkies. Pretty much every organization is composed thusly. Everyone I have ever actually met in SASS has been great.

Since some apparently are reading things other that what I intended into what I wrote, here's a synopsis.

1) I never criticized SASS or anyone in SASS.

2) SASS and I have an organization/personal mismatch. That is not SASSs fault, and I Never said it was.

3) While I don't have thousands of dollars just sitting in the bank to buy guns, I can adequately afford what guns I need. Money for guns is not the reason for my leaving SASS. It was my buying more guns, in fact, that lead me to realize point 2.

As to the issue "he wasn't really interested in cowboy action shooting", that's true, I didn't really know if I was, and I knew that going in, it was when it came to actually buying guns that it became obvious to me that I wasn't. That's not a criticism of SASS.

Despite the few negative replies, I would always recommend that anyone who's interested give SASS a try. It just isn't right for me.

Best wishes to everyone in SASS! Shoot well!

(Or should I move on because I liked SASS better in the early days when the rulebook was smaller and simpler and more we did a lot more action. That is not to say that some of clubs mentioned here are exciting and fun but alas to far for me.)

You can say that about NASCAR also or any other sport that has evolved.????

KK

Well we have a shooters handbook, a RO1 handbook for telling the shooters what to do and a RO2 handbook for telling the RO1's what they should be telling the shooters. Not close to NASCAR yet but we are working on it.

Archived