SASS Wire Forum

94 Winchester Tang sights

Come On Christmas

I watched a video of a couple guys shooting a 30 30. 575 yards and more on You Tube.

Does anyone have any experience with this Lyman Sight?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7961/avs%7CMake~~Model_1=Winchester__94/Product/NO-2-TANG-SIGHT

I have had a Marbles sight before that got all well flippy and would not stay put,but then I did not buy it new. I would only save $25. I could drive a tack at 50 yards with in set up for speedy quickness in a 44/40.

The application - A post 64 94 Carbine. I am thinking use the peep for 100 yards and the tang out a fer piece. Is this stinking thinking?

My good bud Mitch Dalton lives close to the Green Mountain Regulators down Austin way. They have a monthly long range shoot out to 400 yards.

Shameless

I have a Marbles on a Winchester 1892 in .38-40. It does have windage, but I just take off the big disk and use the ghost ring for normal CAS distances. On my Winchester 1894 30-30 mfg 1905, I have a Lyman 1 A sight. It has a small hole for target shooting and when flipped down a ghost ring for hunting and close up shooting. http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr204/rantingmadhare/Aman_Park040.jpg The A means it has a lock on it to keep it locked upright. I love this sight.

Jake

When ranges get much beyond 200 yards for the .30-30, I prefer a 26" octagon barrel and a tang sight. I prefer "Smith" sights, but they're not producing any of that type tang sights at this time. Either the Lyman or Marbles will work... just you get windage adjustment and click indications for vertical adjustments with the Marbles. But... I think the Lyman is a bit more robust.

Shameless

I use tang sights on all my cowboy guns 3 Marlins and 1 Winchester all Marbles. The Lyman is a good sight but it lacks windage adjustment capability. I have used both over the years and have not noticed one being more stable than the other side to side or front to back. If either type gets loose you an disassemble the sight and adjust the spring the hold the stem upright. Not an easy chore little bitty screws, balls and springs that can fly in every which way.

Happy shooting

Wif :D

Howdy,

You might give a call to the folks at brownells and ask what they would

recommend for your particular needs.

Most of the time they are very helpful and they even will exchange

things if what you try the first time isnt right.

You might find something a little cheeper somewhere else but those

bargan places aint worth spit if there is a problem.

Check and see what height sight you need.

You might need one of the new taller ones from Marbles.

You need to decide what distance you are really going to shoot.

Check the Marbles website,

Best

CR

Thanks guys. Yeah, I will buy from Brownwells.

One of you guys mentioned the ladder type peep sight. EMF has an email Labor day sale ad they sent me that has two different versions. Looks like one has windage and the other does not. If you want me to forward the email to you, PM me. I went to the EMF site, but could not make reference to the ad highlighted sights.

Shameless

Archived