SASS Wire Forum

SASS / CAS

Madd Mike #8595

Well I am a new younger (28) member so I guess I can give some input:

As much as I like the three gun (really should be called 4 gun), the almost total focus on it keeps some people away from the sport. That there is almost no way to buy one or two guns and start going to matches makes it a tough sport to get into. I have heard that other groups (NCOWS?) have 2 gun matches and I think that they should be considered.

I also think that there should be some way to shoot .22s (even if it is not scored or scored differently). The ammunition is so much cheaper and no everyone has the ability to reload. I do reload, but I know many of my friends either have space restrictions or just buying extra equipment on top of everything else that is needed is a deterrent. The first SASS event I went to I was told that "to CAS, I needed to reload or be independently wealthy"; it is the truth.

As for categories: there is an age based category for every age except 17-35 (which I fall into). If you are going to have age based categories, why exclude an age group that the sport should be trying to attract?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To my distinguished fellowship of sass wire writers, Wow lighten up.

http://askville.amazon.com/correct-spelling-important-read/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=4727612

I am an knowledgeable colleague, a associate, that has been in some of the largest construction board rooms, relating to many of the largest projects located on the Las Vegas strip.

I have interfaced with and held my own, standing tall over 24 fool long marble board room meeting tables including, yet not limited to: engineers, architects, and designers, owner representatives, building inspectors, OHSA and more for more than twenty five years.

Now

I have to do that on the wire?

Oh well

Mileage will be altered by forces unknown.

Madd-0ne-Mike

That was needed. Too many folks think your many posts are typed after too many liquid refreshments.

No, it sucked. Don't cave to the whiners. You wouldn't let somebody's miopic view of your persona affect your fun during a match, don't do it here. :angry:

Now if people could please get over themselves and focus on the GOOD Mike is trying to do for our sport, maybe we could focus on his original question. Would that be too much to ask?

NO, it did NOT suck.

It was a clearly articulated statement that will reach, engage and convince many more readers than the "persona" message will. That is a fact. A good many readers here do not know of Mike's persona nor history of contribution, and the thoughts are often largely lost on them. We need them to clearly hear, understand and join in the thought process, discussion or action.

I respect Mike (and you, Philly) and have defended him here. I will continue to do so. I encourage him to come out of "persona" (character) when it is really serious. If it is important, clear communication to the maximum audience is a must.

Just the view from my saddle.

Harvey

I don't know about any clubs over the horizon, but around here we are finding new members all the time. The last match at Powdercreek we had four first time shooters on our posse. I think all four plan to come back. Two of them were young guys in their 30s or 40s.

The press is always good for SASS. When I go out I talk to people about SASS and cowboy shooting. They are always impressed. I belong to an investment club, and every month we have a dinner. Somebody is always asking me about cowboy shooting.

I know a lot of people, many of them are anti-gun. Cowboy shooting gives me a way to talk up the shooting sports. Nobody, including my anti-gun friends, treats me like I am some sort of gun crazy with an inferiority complex. Cowboy shooting is a great way to extend a hand to people of all political beliefs. All of my friends genuinely want to know more about my CAS adventure.

I think we need to get back on television and back into the good graces of whoever it is that thinks we are just old guys in funny hats. Just why are some members of the shooting press disenchanted with CAS?

Unlike some, I don't think CAS is going away with the generation raised watching Roy and Gene or even John Russell or Clint Walker. To keep it going, however, we need to continue to talk it up. Bring our kids and their friends into the sport.

One of my concerns is that we focus a lot of attention on our larger events. People are concerned if EOT or Winter Range see a decline in attendance, but I think the clubs are really the backbone of our sport. If we work to help the clubs expand and reach out to their local communities all of the sport will prosper.

NO, it did NOT suck.

It was a clearly articulated statement that will reach, engage and convince many more readers than the "persona" message will. That is a fact. A good many readers here do not know of Mike's persona nor history of contribution, and the thoughts are often largely lost on them. We need them to clearly hear, understand and join in the thought process, discussion or action.

I respect Mike (and you, Philly) and have defended him here. I will continue to do so. I encourage him to come out of "persona" (character) when it is really serious. If it is important, clear communication to the maximum audience is a must.

Just the view from my saddle.

Harvey

The main problem i see with this statement is you just underlined and stated FACT then at the end of your speech you put its your opinion. Well if its your opinion then it isnt fact now is it. Until you show me data where you polled about both versions of mad mikes statement and the more articulate version won, then its just your opinion.

CAS is the sport we participate in. The governing body we fall under is SASS. SASS is in fact a business. I don't know if SASS has a business model, I've never seen it if they do. What I've also never seen is SASS advertised in any of the mainstream firearms publications even though I've seen other shooting sports advertised in our Cowboy Chronical. The old cliche about successful business absolutely applies, "You've got to spend money to make money." Might be time to buy some add space in the major shooting magazines, especially those put out by the NRA.

Bart Solo asked, "Just why are some members of the shooting press disenchanted with CAS?"

Although the "wimp load" and "big, close, and easy" wars are behind us now, both Mike Venturino and John Taffin, two of the best writers in the business, stopped participating in, and quit writing about CAS, over those issues.

Don't shoot the messenger.

As a new shooter, I agree with the statement that SASS/CAS grows from the local Club level. If I had not hooked up with a great club, and great people, I would have just gone back to IPDA and 3-Gun.

We seem to have 2 types of folks in SASS. The competitors and the 'for fun' folks. While not mutually exclusive, SASS needs to find a way to appeal to both, while alienating neither.

Fix the scoring model. Fastest times win.

Enforce the power factors on ammo.

Rules are not suggestions, they are enforced with an equal hand across the board.

Empower the Territorial Governors to make changes, not just suggestions that may or may not be acted upon.

my .02, now off to Range War to enjoy my friends and sling some lead.

Bart Solo asked, "Just why are some members of the shooting press disenchanted with CAS?"

Although the "wimp load" and "big, close, and easy" wars are behind us now, both Mike Venturino and John Taffin, two of the best writers in the business, stopped participating in, and quit writing about CAS, over those issues.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Yup, their drive by shootings of SASS is why I stopped buying any magazines or books these two gents write or write for. Sent letters to their editors on why I cancelled my subscriptions.

I have never understood why cowboy action shooting isn't recognized and actively promoted by the NRA. It seems that both organizations might be of benefit to each other. The nations largest gun group and the fastest growing shooting sport...seems like there should be more interaction. Wouldn't CAS benefit?

:blink: Perhaps it is the combination of the costume requirements and hiding behind an alias that keeps us on the "fringe". ^_^

:blink: Perhaps it is the combination of the costume requirements and hiding behind an alias that keeps us on the "fringe". ^_^

I've had several shooting folks I know say "I like the hardware but can't stand the costumes". I replied "Then this isn't for you with that attitude you just don't get it do you?"

It takes a special person to dress up "western" and compete in this great sport. I think we will always be a "FRINGE" shooting sport because of the costuming.

:) excuse me while I go decide what to wear Sat., Hmmm....let's see brown boots and brown rig with my cool brown hat or should I go black?? Decisions, decisions!

RYE

I wouldn't want to see it changed, but the costuming requirement definitely keeps some people away. I know a few of them. The trick is to get them out there in a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. If they warm to the game, then the costuming concern goes away.

CAS is the sport we participate in. The governing body we fall under is SASS. SASS is in fact a business. I don't know if SASS has a business model, I've never seen it if they do. What I've also never seen is SASS advertised in any of the mainstream firearms publications even though I've seen other shooting sports advertised in our Cowboy Chronical. The old cliche about successful business absolutely applies, "You've got to spend money to make money." Might be time to buy some add space in the major shooting magazines, especially those put out by the NRA.

Here is is the crux of the situation. SASS is a business. As such, they have (hopefully) a set of business goals. So I assume they have goals. If people know what these goals really are, then, sensible suggestions can be made with careful thought and (dare I say) planning.

Here is an example, a good Pard suggests that "Empower the Territorial Governors to make changes, not just suggestions that may or may not be acted upon."

Not likely to happen. Since TGs have no financial risk of loss, they could easily enact a change that is detrimental to the financial condition of the SASS business. I don't see the current owners letting this happen.

What if TGs actually own a stake in the business, become officers, have fiduciary responsibility, and have that risk of loss. Then you will begin to see well thought out changes that drive financial objectives tied directly to growth. Same as any other real entertainment business.

I think the generally friendly atmosphere at any CAS match is a result of the costuming requirement. Having to dress up a bit tends to weed out the introverts!! ;)

And it is not a barrier to getting kids involved. Most kids enjoy playing dress-up don't they?

An alias is a nickname. Anyone who is put off by a nickname is not really anyone I want to shoot with. Kind of another "screening" test, to my way of thinking.

We've grown pretty fast with these two characteristics...I honestly don't see them as stumbling blocks.

If that perception, indeed, is the truth

And we make changes, and diminish those requirements

Then what is left

All I see is

“Action three gun shooting with antiquated type guns”

Take the cowboy off the horse and

I am not convinced that would be a superior direction to take

As a new shooter, I agree with the statement that SASS/CAS grows from the local Club level. If I had not hooked up with a great club, and great people, I would have just gone back to IPDA and 3-Gun.

We seem to have 2 types of folks in SASS. The competitors and the 'for fun' folks. While not mutually exclusive, SASS needs to find a way to appeal to both, while alienating neither.

Fix the scoring model. Fastest times win.

Enforce the power factors on ammo.

Rules are not suggestions, they are enforced with an equal hand across the board.

Empower the Territorial Governors to make changes, not just suggestions that may or may not be acted upon.

my .02, now off to Range War to enjoy my friends and sling some lead.

Welcome Newbie! (I mean that in a nice way.)

I like the way you think!

However, I need to tweak your last point a bit. The TGs do make decisions/changes *; if first approved by the Wild Bunch (SASS Board of Directors), which means they could live with the decision either way it goes, which means it doesn't affect their income. Still your point is well taken (by me anyway).

Regards,

Allie Mo

*Disclaimer: The TGs voted that it only takes one person signed up for a category that is listed in the Shooters Handbook for it to be offered at a State or above match. The State and above Match Directors, with the blessing of the Wild Bunch decided to ignore this. I am happy that the LGF got them to rethink this at EOT this year.

I just pay my money to be a member of an awesome group of shooters/folks, follow the rules that are in place the best I can, keep it as safe as best I can, do posse duties the best I can, try to make myself available the best I can, and support those that do the same the best I can.

Some people can be a real PITA at matches (very rare in my experience) and here (less rare in my experience) :lol:

I'm goin' shootin' this weekend...so I am participating the best I can and havin' a whole lotta FUN!

Also, I see the OP as nothing but common sense stuff - it ain't rocket science.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

This exact question came up a while back and prompted one of our members to post it on another gun forum. He asked straight out, "Why don't you shoot cowboy matches?" If I remember correctly initial cost was the number one reason but, your point was a pretty close second. Seems folks in the other shooting sports thought all we did was dress up in gigantic Victorian costumes and parade around all day. "I don't like wearing hats." was one of the statements that really caught my attention. Try as we might, the couple of cowboy shooters and I who participated in the thread just couldn't get them to see the truth. This is one of the reasons I feel we don't advertise ourselves very well, if at all.

Then what is left

All I see is

Hi Madd Mike, do not look at my comment as a direction to take. Consider it to be a barrier to growth. Note Philly Slim's comment below...

This exact question came up a while back and prompted one of our members to post it on another gun forum. He asked straight out, "Why don't you shoot cowboy matches?" If I remember correctly initial cost was the number one reason but, your point was a pretty close second. Seems folks in the other shooting sports thought all we did was dress up in gigantic Victorian costumes and parade around all day. "I don't like wearing hats." was one of the statements that really caught my attention. Try as we might, the couple of cowboy shooters and I who participated in the thread just couldn't get them to see the truth. This is one of the reasons I feel we don't advertise ourselves very well, if at all.

This then begins the list of "objections" or barriers to participation. First, the cost of equipment is an obstacle, then perhaps, costuming.

So If I pick on costuming for a moment as a barrier to participation, we need to understand "why". Especially from those who would otherwise engage in this activity and don't. Once you know why, the big challenge is to change the belief (not an easy task). Changing someones beliefs almost always require a person to experience that which they do not appreciate to understand the benefits. <= That is the challenge to CAS growth. So what do we do? Advertise, yes. Try it you'll like it promotions? Costume and equipment rentals? Celebrity testimonials?

I am fairly well-educated and used to teach school. I enjoy posts on here that read much like the folks I heard as a kid in Texas.

I am a Baby Boomer as well as an historian. I love the Old West, both real and Hollywood. I agree that something needs to be done to attract younger shooters. Such changes do mot need to change the basic concept of CAS; neither do they need to favor younger shooters so much that us older guys are forced out before our time. There are still increasing numbers of us old geezers who are not ready to be put out yo pasture.

I wouldn't want to see it changed, but the costuming requirement definitely keeps some people away. I know a few of them. The trick is to get them out there in a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. If they warm to the game, then the costuming concern goes away.

Except for CC and "B", there are no costume requirements. Unless asking men to wear long sleeve shirts, no shorts, no baseball caps is to much to ask a shooter.

The only problem I hear is 2 pistols, and for many buying an in-expensive Rossi compared to a slicked, Marlin or 73. The shoestring shooter still likes to feel competitive till he can afford more and better. But are intimidated, when the receive 5 misses for every stage, because they only have 1 pistol, and club doesn't have a beginner category for them to start in. Some, see an in-expensive Rossi, and then read the wire and find its not the best, and won't be competitive. Yes, contrary to some thoughts, all shooters like to feel they have a little competitive in the game. CAS, is an expensive game, and many don't have the extras, yet still like, and want to shoot. Many also don't want to borrow, which I have many times offered in case something happens.

Personally, I would like to see movement with firearms, just as 3 gun, etc.

I know we have many categories, always felt were we should have a beginers category, maybe a "Sugarfoot", in which they can shoot for 6 months, etc. and still feel competitive.MT

What we need is a high profile spokesperson like beef has. And a catchy phrase like beef has: "it's what's for dinner". Oh wait, we already have a phrase, "the closest you'll get to the Old West short of a time machine"...

But is it good enuff? I dunno but I reckon it'll have to do until we come up with a better one.

Now I know we cain't afford Sam or Tom or Mikey Mcconahominy but we need somebody to get on media, both radio/TV and print and tell our wonderful fun story of our fabulous sport to all the 90% of Americans who still have never heard of us and what we do.

Hooking up with charities and having benefit shoots would be good also.

Except for CC and "B", there are no costume requirements. Unless asking men to wear long sleeve shirts, no shorts, no baseball caps is to much to ask a shooter.

Yep, in that thread I mentioned on the other forum we tried and tried to get that point across. Nobody would listen. No idea in the world how to change that perception.

I'm VERY hesitant to say anything negative about anyone on the Wild Bunch but, I think an article Tex put in the Cowboy Chronicle a while back may have done us a bit a of a disservice. Claiming that just because every shooter didn't dress to the nines was taking the fun out of the game for other shooters still doesn't sit right with me. I come to play and game and have fun. But my idea of fun may not be the same as someone else's. So? I'll have my fun, you have yours. I am absolutely 100% in compliance with the rules. To then tell me I'm not "doing it right" is a bit of a slap in the face to this paying customer. And I know a lot of other folks feel the same way I do.

That being said, the Wild Bunch has obviously heard some of our concerns and is making changes to make SASS a more shooter friendly organization. We just need to get that word out to folks that aren't in the organization yet.

The only problem I hear is 2 pistols, and for many buying an in-expensive Rossi compared to a slicked, Marlin or 73. The shoestring shooter still likes to feel competitive till he can afford more and better. But are intimidated, when the receive 5 misses for every stage, because they only have 1 pistol, and club doesn't have a beginner category for them to start in. Some, see an in-expensive Rossi, and then read the wire and find its not the best, and won't be competitive. Yes, contrary to some thoughts, all shooters like to feel they have a little competitive in the game. CAS, is an expensive game, and many don't have the extras, yet still like, and want to shoot. Many also don't want to borrow, which I have many times offered in case something happens.

Personally, I would like to see movement with firearms, just as 3 gun, etc.

I know we have many categories, always felt were we should have a beginers category, maybe a "Sugarfoot", in which they can shoot for 6 months, etc. and still feel competitive.MT

Well, Marshal, you know what I was saying. They do indeed want to be allowed to wear the outlawed things you talked about, or they won't participate. We're splitting hairs, here. The rule book lists several articles of clothing that are outlawed. That is a defacto costuming requirement: You can't wear those things.

Then what is left

All I see is

I agree. The draw to the sport is the American Cowboy. If we let it morph into just a competition using cowboy guns alone, and no old west/silver screen tie in, then it just lost it's appeal to me and probably a lot of others.

Would there be more warm bodies willing to participate? Maybe. But if it's just about growth, I've seen growth and "progress" ruin a lot of things in my time.

A lot of fans wear caps to ball games. They think it's fun.

If you don't want to do the minimum to shoot cowboy because that's not fun to you...oh well.

People in the other shooting sports have a generally incorrect impression of us. That needs to be worked on. But I still think that most of our shooters do not come from the other competitive shooting sports. They're average folks who found about an activity that interests them and want to try it out. Sometimes with some gun experience. Sometimes without any at all.

I hold to the profound thought, that Tex is writing a editorial, generally stating his views, take it with a grain of salt, just like you would any publications’ editorial page. Sometimes he is spot on with my views, most of the time he is not, but I perceive that he is in the fight, to promote and hang on to the cowboy / cowgirl persona, that was a driving component of the very founding, of Cowboy Action Shooting while implementing 1800’s period equipment.

If I recollect, SASS had a younger WB type fellow,a few years back and I believe that he was in marketing; things did not work out so well with that endeavor. But with that being established, perhaps it is time for the Wild Bunch to try someone new, which falls under the category of young and fresh, with marketing in mind.

I think the mention of advertising in NRA based publication is a great place to start.

I think that simple 8.5 x 11 flyers, printed and distributed by local clubs, to gun stores,feed stores,a table at a gun show,and the like, are just as essential as high dollar advertising campaigns’.

I own a very small business, advertising budget is one of my greatest dilemmas with regards to not wasting much needed funds for taxes,local and state insurance licensing fees, insurance, and building maintenance for around 12,000 + square feet of building space. Yet I need to be cutting edge to be found on smart phones and the like.

I do not buy into the split camp theory of folks shoot for fun OR, folks shoot for the competition. Personally, I started in SASS shooting for fun; I never had a competitive bone in my body prior to that. (Sports wise that is). Most everything else in life is competitive from grades in grade school on up to competing for jobs etc.

Within SASS, as my shooting skills improved, I did indeed become competitive WHILE, having fun. The epiphany for me was after several fellow shooters would ask me, “why do you shoot as a duelist? Don’t you want to be the best you can be?”. I knew what they were really saying was “fastest” that I could be. It was then that I had the drive to start winning local shoots overall as a duelist (because Tex hand NOT invented GunFighter class yet).

I started to rock as a duelist, as I started to full filled my goal of winning local shoots overall as a duelist, I also started to out shoot the very shooters that were a integral part of the epiphany, .

In summary, I think that there are three camps, the just for fun group, the just for competition group, and the group that can and will intertwine the two other ideals at the same time, for a more fulfilled interpersonal ingredient improving their self esteem.

I really believe there are more folks in the latter, but only the shadow knows for sure.

SASS has been all inclusive from the beginning and still seems to be, at least if you're talking about the many reasons for participating. The shooting, the history, the clothing, the accoutrements, the comraderie, the competition.......... No matter what your interest(s), SASS has a place for you and the next generations of SASS members. It's fun or myself and a lot of other folks o r we wouldn't do it.

Promote the sport: encourage some media folks to your shoots and events, submit articles for publication, contact the NRA about a closer relationship, invite newbies to come shoot and have fun............ Try to put a positive image out there, since it takes little negativity to ruin any positives that do exist.

I've met a lot of great folks over the years and I'm glad I got invited to the party.

I'm still thinkin' Mike. I'll get back to ya.

From a long term "player" point of view... what has SASS done that was successful in the past? Popular culture is a constantly changing atmosphere that dictates the popular "thing" at any given time. For us baby-boomers it was the re-runs of western and new TV westerns of the '50s and '60s. And regardless of what various critics and "those-in-the-know" have expressed in the past, the western is not dead. It is still hugely popular with a wide range of viewers... when it's done well. And, as more folks become knowlegeable on "the West" and the time frame of the "cowboy", they become far more discerning. The vast majority of us have finished our child rearing years... and either in, or very near retirement. If SASS is at some plateau or even declining in attendence, it is NOT SASS' fault. The fault lies squarely on our shoulders. And the following is not directed at those who do, for you are a minority that is bucking an every increasing range of influences outside of your control.

When was the last time you brought your son, daughter, niece or nephew with you to a match? When did you last invite your son/daughter/niece/nephew/grandchild's best friend along with you? Obviously, you need to gain that parent's permission, That can be problematic, but it need not be "mission impossible!"

How many of you, when the match is done, strip down out of your full regalia to make the trip home... especially when planning to stop enroute home at a store or estaurant on the way home?

How many of you have heard, as I have, that the BEST advertising is done via word-of-mouth? How often I've been approached by "civilians" when making life's little errands on the way home, in my cowboy gear would have to approach the "thousands"... Do you have a "business" card made up, with you alias, maybe a picture of you, contact info for you and for your club printed right there on the card. Maybe every one that I've ever handed out has landed in the trash, but I've mad the effort, passed the word on beyond even the traditional shooting world.

If your cowboy club is under the umbrella of a larger multi-discipline shooting club... have you considered arranging a free cowboy day for any member not currently shooting with the cowboy bunch?

It's called advertising. And can take many forms. Maybe SASS, or some other enterprising cowboy, needs to offer some courses on advertising as geared toward cowboy action shooting.

I learned about cowboy action shooting from a magazine article in Guns & Ammo about 1982 or '83. It took until a chance meeting at a public range in 1985 to get the particulars on where and when. SASS started advertising in a couple of gun magazines shortly after they were formed in 1987. That has led to a total issuance of SASS numbers in the 95,000 range. Given that maybe the 1st 1,000 were already aware of cowboy shooting before SASS was even formed, at least 500 of whom were participants at the time.

Magazine articles are what sell magazines. SASS membership is full of talented people. SURELY there are a few that would be willing to tackle writing an article geared to cowboy guns, and cowboy shootin' that ain't about a particular match (as those become time sensitive, and space needs to be allocated months in advance) and editors are loathe to commit to allowing a neophyte author space in a particular issue. But, an article submitted on a "space available" basis, or blind submission, say to "Rifle" magazine, dealing with the improvements in say a short-stroked 1873 over a standard version... with photos and description understandable to any shooter, maybe an explanation as how those are beneficial to any shooter and cowboy shooters in particular, AND contact info for SASS, the author and his/her club (who sez women don't read gun magazines?), could very well be the impetus for a cross discipline shooter.

Or how about an authoritative article on leather gear? Include pictures of various types taken at a cowboy match... make sure to give credit where/when the pictures were taken and the circumstances, it just might fire the imagination of someone interested in leather. Same to with magazines geared toward sewing, costuming and other hobbies not normally associated with shooting, but who's readers probably run the gamot of interests besides the one they happen to be reading about at the time.

Hell, if I can have an article written about ME and my sport of cowboy shooting, in a trucking industry magazine, I'd say anything is possible!

If editors are inundated with un-solictited articles dealing with cowboy action shooting, might they not think... "hey, we need to get on board with this new trend..."? Don't laugh, stranger things have happened.

Most people love westerns and seem truly curious about our sport, when they know about it. A local paper ran a couple of photos of the Friday side matches with accompanying one liners and Sunday of the yearly match had a great turnout of spectators. A great introduction, but an annual match may not be the best place to get them to join in.

Occasionally we get spectators at our monthly and some do join in, but not many. When I was in my watching phase, I like most of the “observers” I see at our local shoots declined the many offers of loaner firearms. No real reason other the just feeling awkward, even though I have shot for many years in other shooting disciplines. This not joining in was no way a negative, in fact, it showed me the character of the people involved and sucked me in even more.

I believe the cost of our sport is “the” biggest problem we have in recruiting new shooters. For that matter it’s the same problem most shooting sports have. I know I bought my SASS membership years before I shot my first match (last February); the time was spent learning and saving for my equipment.

That said, what to do about it…. A cheaper way to compete is required. Either the price of SASS approved firearms and ammo needs to come down (Riiiiight) or as was suggested previously a more affordable way needs to be added to the mix. For example a cheechako class, allowing the use of .22 or already owned non-SASS firearms. We need to just get them started; they’ll find the kind of “fun” that appeals to them, be it competitive of just involvement. The rest will take care of itself.

As for the NRA, have we asked for their involvement or offered ours? I’m sure every SASS member is a NRA member.

Coho

I'm still thinkin' Mike. I'll get back to ya.

May I become, one of the first to say

I am glad that you got back to me

That was very well spoken; reminding many shooters how simple it can be to promote our sport.

Whenever I went to "fly to - shoots" I dressed CAS at the airport.

As you already mentioned, there is always after local shoots opportunity to share our passion. On the way home from Eldorado Cowboy shoots, there is a Lowes store (we do not have one in Pahrump) Due to that short coming, I would always stop and shop in full cowboy gear, folks would ask inquisitive questions, with true conviction.

;) ;) ;)

From many of my neighbors, friends, gunshows and church members. Sometimes the conversation comes up about hobbies. Be surprised how many people do not, nor have heard of CAS, or SASS. Many don't subcribe to gun magazines, but buy them here and there. As to NRA and promotion. I'm sure most CAS are members, and American Rifleman has had mentions of CAS in their issues and many have already gotten into their type of shooting discipline. I do think another CAS show on cable would get more new recruits,expose more people to CAS, sponsored possible by those that we buy our firearms from, Ruger, Colt, Uberti,Stoeger, etc. They would also benefit from sponsoring such a show. If someone with some background in filming, etc. put together a couple episodes and hawked it to sponsors and then to an outdoor show. Who knows?

As to westerns being dead, I don't believe it. Their still popular and besides the Western Channel, there are sveral more cable, and some local channels that see increase in viewers when westerns are shown, otherwise advertisers wouldn't be spending the money. MT

I would like to see some rule barring the winners in a category at national matches from winning the next year also. Just something to keep the winners circle rotating... I understand that these shooters are way better than I will ever be and I will never be in that winners circle no matter what the rules ha, so this is not exactly a personal gripe. Just something I have observed.

I am shocked at what you are posting! To many disagreements to even post.

I would like to see some rule barring the winners in a category at national matches from winning the next year also. Just something to keep the winners circle rotating... I understand that these shooters are way better than I will ever be and I will never be in that winners circle no matter what the rules ha, so this is not exactly a personal gripe. Just something I have observed.

I am shocked at what you are posting! To many disagreements to even post.

But I'll post it twice. Haha!!!

Archived