SASS Wire Forum

SASS / CAS

Madd Mike #8595

some times we might want to stop and think for a minute or two

beyond (what-ever) R emotions (voices) are wisperin in your ear

perhaps we should then::::: apply

what is right for the next 30 years of SASS / CAS

I think, many may agree, that,

the addition of so many categories has KNOT worked out as they may have thought (endless new shooters / SASS members or etc)

Whatt is the best path for SASS to live another 30 years!

I will start with

•  
  • fairly enforce current rules, to aford a more consistant match,, if you chose 2 travel the world (iffen ya dont like any picticular rule, change it ligititmately over the long haul)
  • promote and encourage new shooters
  • discuss things farily (do not apply plyground bully stuff)

please give this sum thought before ya just start typin ;)

just watt is gud for CAS over the long haul ;)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[center

[*]fairly enforce current rules, to aford a more consistant match,, if you chose 2 travel the world (iffen ya dont like any picticular rule, change it ligititmately over the long haul)

[*]promote and encourage new shooters

[*]discuss things farily (do not apply plyground bully stuff)

Should be doing that anyway.

And for the most part. Think we do a fair job of it.

New members in the Wild Bunch ownership. Current members have done a great job with our sport, but they are a lot older than the average shooter. New robust WB owners are needed.

BIG +1,000,000

If we are going to keep it going.

Younger thinkers are going to have to take the reins at some point.

quote (the addition of so many categories has KNOT worked out as they may have thought (endless new shooters / SASS members or etc)unquote

You maybe right, but it has made a lot existing members very happy, and if you haven't noticed, there is not a Category that doesn't have some great competition and no cakewalks.

KK

some times we might want to stop and think for a minute or two

beyond (what-ever) R emotions (voices) are wisperin in your ear

perhaps we should then::::: apply

what is right for the next 30 years of SASS / CAS

I think, many may agree, that,

the addition of so many categories has KNOT worked out as they may have thought (endless new shooters / SASS members or etc)

Whatt is the best path for SASS to live another 30 years!

I will start with

•  
  • fairly enforce current rules, to aford a more consistant match,, if you chose 2 travel the world (iffen ya dont like any picticular rule, change it ligititmately over the long haul)
  • promote and encourage new shooters
  • discuss things farily (do not apply plyground bully stuff)

just watt is gud for CAS over the long haul ;)

In answer to your last sentence (if that is what ya call it), would be for the members to learn, and exhibit, the ability to write a statement past a third grade level. How in the hell do you expect people to take you serious with the crap you write on here?

In answer to your last sentence (if that is what ya call it), would be for the members to learn, and exhibit, the ability to write a statement past a third grade level. How in the hell do you expect people to take you serious with the crap you write on here?

Hi Jackie,

Mike is far from the "worst" of the "seemingly illiterate crowd." However, he may be too far into this "persona" to change now. Remember we are supposed to develop a personna... :unsure:

:wub: the Madd one! Hate his grammar. :wub: rules!

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Jackie,

Mike is far from the "worst" of the "seemingly illiterate crowd." However, he may be too far into this "persona" to change now. Remember we are supposed to develop a personna... :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hell, have seen a third grader that overdosed on Zanax that could write better sentences that made more sense. Not to mention the spelling.

There is a difference in developing a personna and displaying stupidity.

Rather than get hung up on grammar and spelling (which are pet peeves of mine, but I understand Mike's style and am able to understand his posts) I'll just say that organizations that are unable or unwilling to evolve will eventually run out of members. I'm reminded of the old Koreshan settlement in Florida. They did not believe in procreation. None of them are left today. ;)

As the older shooters and administrators age and fade away, the membership must be replenished. But the generational differences will be a barrier unless some way is found to atract the younger shooters. We geezers who grew up on tv westerns are fading away. The question is "How do we make this sport interesting enough to appeal to new shooters?" Is something like a steering committee needed, whose purpose would be to examine new procedures, rules and marketing? I don't know. Maybe.

I have never understood why cowboy action shooting isn't recognized and actively promoted by the NRA. It seems that both organizations might be of benefit to each other. The nations largest gun group and the fastest growing shooting sport...seems like there should be more interaction. Wouldn't CAS benefit?

To my distinguished fellowship of sass wire writers, Wow lighten up.

http://askville.amazon.com/correct-spelling-important-read/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=4727612

I am an knowledgeable colleague, a associate, that has been in some of the largest construction board rooms, relating to many of the largest projects located on the Las Vegas strip.

I have interfaced with and held my own, standing tall over 24 fool long marble board room meeting tables including, yet not limited to: engineers, architects, and designers, owner representatives, building inspectors, OHSA and more for more than twenty five years.

Now

I have to do that on the wire?

Oh well

Mileage will be altered by forces unknown.

Madd-0ne-Mike

Madd Mike and Utah Bob, you guys nailed it right on the head. For the new folks, Madd Mike is in his persona anytime he is walking or talking CAS since I first met him and his daughter at Stampede many moons ago.

I have never understood why cowboy action shooting isn't recognized and actively promoted by the NRA. It seems that both organizations might be of benefit to each other. The nations largest gun group and the fastest growing shooting sport...seems like there should be more interaction. Wouldn't CAS benefit?

The NRA is listed as a sponsor of the Western Regional, but your point is well taken. More involvement would be good.

It would also be a good thing if we had gun writers in national magazines writing about CAS. What we have now is pretty much preaching to the choir. Since Mike Venturino and John Taffin became disenchanted with the game, exposure in general interest gun mags is rare.

http://askville.amaz...questId=4727612

I am an knowledgeable colleague, a associate, that has been in some of the largest construction board rooms, relating to many of the largest projects located on the Las Vegas strip.

I have interfaced with, engineers, architects, designers, owner representatives, building inspectors, OHSA and more, for more than twenty five years.

During those years, I have been in control of, many different, 10 million dollar budgets as a project manager, usually pieces of much larger projects.

Now

Oh well

Madd-0ne-Mike

I shall concede the point, and offer my apologies.

I would like to see some rule barring the winners in a category at national matches from winning the next year also. Just something to keep the winners circle rotating... I understand that these shooters are way better than I will ever be and I will never be in that winners circle no matter what the rules ha, so this is not exactly a personal gripe. Just something I have observed.

I would like to see some rule barring the winners in a category at national matches from winning the next year also. Just something to keep the winners circle rotating... I understand that these shooters are way better than I will ever be and I will never be in that winners circle no matter what the rules ha, so this is not exactly a personal gripe. Just something I have observed.

Did you miss this in the OP?

I would add that the Madd One also writes regularly for the Chronicle and is a respected member of S.A.S.S. I don't always agree with his opinions and ideas, but I do respect his knowledge and his loyalty to S.A.S.S. and cowboy action shooting.

As far as different vernaculars and perceived dialects, many here use them and for my part they are meant as entertainment and I appreciate others' efforts as well!

Some of y'all orta' lighten up a little! :lol:

WOW......

:wacko::blink: Nuff Said.

Maybe we could just draw straws...

Getting back to the topic: IT"S ABOUT THE WEST! We need to stop talkin' about shortstroke kits and guncarts and special hoslters with the pretty red shells all lined up in twosies and talk more about the history, the movies, the novels, the TV shows and everything that makes the cowboy of the Great American West one of the greatest icons in the history of the world. Folks do not want to join to learn how to win at being a CAS stage shooter, they want to come in and have a great excuse to be a cowboy and shoot the coolest guns ever. SASS is at its best when its all about the cowboy way. :FlagAm:

Good point on NRA backing. I think the NRA should wake up and read the many articles in local newspapers and watch the tv coverage on SASS shoots.

SASS is the honey that draws more flies than vinegar. The local coverage of SASS events is universally postive. Reporters who are maybe fence sitters or anti gun types get giddy when given a cowboy hat and sixguns. I've seen it time and time again. Cowboy shooters are not viewed as loonie gun toting threats and as such are the perfect ambassadors for the shooting community. Get with it NRA. More cowboy shooters = more positive press on guns!

http://askville.amazon.com/correct-spelling-important-read/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=4727612

I have interfaced with and held my own, standing tall over 24 fool long marble board room meeting tables including, yet not limited to: engineers, architects, and designers, owner representatives, building inspectors, OHSA and more for more than twenty five years.

Now

Oh well

Madd-0ne-Mike

Depends. Do you want to be understood? Or do you want the reader to be scratching their heads wondering what in the wide world of sports you are trying to communicate? Of course it is the latter. Communication should be paramount. Sometimes when you are doing your "persona" bit it is like you are typing Martian. So my personal feeling is you should throttle back a bit and do the boardroom thing a little more. A compromise. In the interests of helping the rest of us comprehend just what it is you are trying to communicate.

Speaking as a younger person, in order for this sport to survive long term, you are going to have to fight against the odds and get my generation out of their house and get over themselves. I understand that I am a minority. Under 40. Interested in things tha do not involve wi-fi, a phone, or video game controller.

I also am fortunate enough to have worked hard, come up with a little disposable income, and make other sacrifices in order to play this game.

I know a lot of folks even under 50 that I work with. They are all working broke undermounds of debt as they try to live better than the jonses.

You also look at the attendance of NASCAR races. Way down from where it was 10 years ago. Why? Well the baby boomers are getting older, into retirement, fixed incomes, and do not have the money to spend. And the older folk grew up working in service stations. They turned wrenches on a '32 Ford. Souped up an old Galaxy. My generation thinks putting a fiberglass wing on a 4banger and cutting off the muffler qualifies them to run in the Indy 500.

Hunting licenses are down.

Fishing licenses are down.

I have begged friends of mine to give it a try. They just aren't interested.

And I have not even touched on the fact that many in this generation have all been brainwashed into thinking guns are bad by the media and school systems.

Depends. Do you want to be understood? Or do you want the reader to be scratching their heads wondering what in the wide world of sports you are trying to communicate? Of course it is the latter. Communication should be paramount. Sometimes when you are doing your "persona" bit it is like you are typing Martian. So my personal feeling is you should throttle back a bit and do the boardroom thing a little more. A compromise. In the interests of helping the rest of us comprehend just what it is you are trying to communicate.

Ok

In summary

What can “we the shooters, and wire writers” do to facilitate the longevity of SASS / CAS shoots, worldwide in the future?

The founders strive for the western theme, and within that premise, they have the desire to provide consistency between shoots, where ever you may find yourself, perhaps, even in Europe, or Down Under.

was that better?

Fair question Mike and thanks for looking ahead.

To keep things top shelf and thriving in any venue you have to ask those questions fairly often, making assessments and corrections along the way: additions, subtractions, a tweak here and there.

GCK's comment of needing new blood carries some weight. No matter how good the original or existing group is, without the injection of new folks and fresh ideas at some point along the way you can loose objectivity- and if it gets that far things can go down hill pretty fast.

We need to revisit recruitment of new players in this game. I've seen guys like Colt Faro down in Texas have a huge heart to promote this game among young people and I'm sure there are many others like that. If SASS is not fully supporting those types of efforts then we have no game 30 years from now.

Another +1 for WAY more interaction with the NRA. They could do TONS of good for CAS. There is a mutual dependence there.

Ok

In summary

What can “we the shooters, and wire writers” do to facilitate the longevity of SASS / CAS shoots, worldwide in the future?

The founders strive for the western theme, and within that premise, they have the desire to provide consistency between shoots, where ever you may find yourself, perhaps, even in Europe, or Down Under.

was that better?

No, it sucked. Don't cave to the whiners. You wouldn't let somebody's miopic view of your persona affect your fun during a match, don't do it here. :angry:

Now if people could please get over themselves and focus on the GOOD Mike is trying to do for our sport, maybe we could focus on his original question. Would that be too much to ask?

Getting back to the topic: IT"S ABOUT THE WEST! We need to stop talkin' about shortstroke kits and guncarts and special hoslters with the pretty red shells all lined up in twosies and talk more about the history, the movies, the novels, the TV shows and everything that makes the cowboy of the Great American West one of the greatest icons in the history of the world. Folks do not want to join to learn how to win at being a CAS stage shooter, they want to come in and have a great excuse to be a cowboy and shoot the coolest guns ever. SASS is at its best when its all about the cowboy way. :FlagAm:

I understand where you are coming from, and I believe you may have a grain of truth in there somewhere, but the competition aspect of the sport will always be a big draw. The cowboy aesthetic has a draw which is dwindling in world culture. It has a special place with many, and there will always be those who discover it throughout their life. Unfortunately, it's not going to be the biggest draw forever. If you look at ownership, legislative, and participation data the US population is going through a firearms revolution, and all shooting sports are starting to see a pickup in interest, tempered by our current economic situation. Without the competition, we are just a bunch of silly folk dressing up like cowboys and hanging out. That's fun, and I'd probably still go to a couple matches a year if that was all that was available. The competition aspect of the game is a bigger draw, in my opinion, and allows us to continue (which MM inquired about).

Hunting licenses are down.

From a very liberal source.

And I have not even touched on the fact that many in this generation have all been brainwashed into thinking guns are bad by the media and school systems.

Also illuminating

There's no need to see the sky falling these days.

If I were king for a day, I would throw more money at the advertising department and large industry venues like SHOT show. SASS, as a product, is pretty diverse as you look at the different locations you can partake in the game. The biggest thing that SASS can do is make more people aware of its existence, what it is, and how to start. If someone isn't going to like the game, there's not a lot you can do. If someone has never heard of it, that's a problem which can be solved.

$.02 deposited. At least I should get better returns than just about any other investment these days :lol:

Well, PS I agree with you that MM is one of our oaks. He always has the good of the sport uppermost in mind and I appreciate his efforts. BUT, and I did not think it to be whining, SOMEtimes it can be a little difficult to decipher that alien tongue of his. Just because you can grok it all the time don't mean all of us can. Sigh. I hope you didn't take my comments to be so much critical MM as, hopefully, constructive.

Oh, and the second attempt was much more coherent there, MM.

Archived