SASS Wire Forum

An explanation..

There might be some of my wire Pards that has been wondering what's been up with me lately (Or NOT!:lol: )..The past couple of years have been CRAZY! I finally got a permanent job in New Mexico, moved out there, then suddenly moved back to North Carolina..What the heck was up with that?

Well,the fact of the matter was shortly after accepting my N.M. job I went for a routine physical and found out I have hepetitis C..Don't know exactly how I got it, but since I never had a blood transfusion and never did IV drugs I can only assume I got it from tattoo work..Anyhoo, I had this laid on me while basically on my way out West..The good news is, I'm undergoing treatment and it is WORKING! B) The Folks at the Park have also been fantasic by giving me time off to undergo the treatment, as I needed to be back here due to both the treatment facilities in N.C. (Some of the best in the nation) and the fact I had to be back here with my family to undergo the treatment, which is a daily regimen of drugs, along with weekly injections..And it AIN'T the kind of stuff that makes ya feel good, either..On the contrary, ya feel like pure 'ol crap! :blink:

BUT..Like I said, the treatment is working, I'm just over halfway though it, the side effects ain't fun, but are bearable, and with all the pre-treatment testing I went through I found out I'm actually in better shape than I was afraid I might be..I did have to quit drinking my beer and single malt (Dangit :( ) But can probably go back to having a cold one once in a while after this treatment is over..I'm mighty thankful to the Great Spirit for taking care of my useless behind all the years I was walking around with this bug and didn't even know it, as well as to all my Cowboy Pards whose thoughts, prayers, and support have been appreciated more than Y'all could ever know, it's both uplifting and humbling to have the privilege of having such good friends ..SASS folks are THE BEST!

The main reason I never mentioned it before was I didn't want to come off as sounding like a whiner.. :blush:

Thanks.. :D

Prayers up for a full recovery from our camp.

On a slightly related note....(I'm no doc and I'm not a wizz bang when it comes to this stuff, but) I saw a deal on TV here a while back suggesting that all Baby Boomers get tested for (I think it was) Hep C.

.....Maybe something in terms of meds given back in those days, certain treaments that were common......or maybe they were just sayin' y'all were too big 'a party animals! :lol: At any rate, never hurts to get checked out to be sure. Sure beat the alternative!

Get well soon, DC!

~EE Taft~

Yup, it was Hep C..I saw that too..I was just recently talking to an Vietnam Vet at a shoot and he told me he also had to undergo treatment, he apparently got it from those assembly-line injections they gave everybody in the Military back then..They're coming up with better and easier treatments every year though..The one I'm taking is easier on ya than the one he had to go through..It's a REAL good idea to get tested, now that all's said and done I'm sure glad they caught it when they did!

I've probably spent more time in doctor's offices over the past two years then I have in the previous forty though.. :lol:

I just read that All Baby Boomers should get tested for Hep-c. The symptoms can be almost non existent and there are a number of ways you can contract it.

Got tested freqeuntly when I was working due to the possibility oc coming into comtact with infected persons.

Glad to hear your treatment is progressing. I was afraid the dang Park Service laid you off!

Best wishes for a speedy recovert, Pard. Get on back out here asap.

Doc, 25% of patients with Hep C never have the etiology discovered, so don't feel strange. Did the doc tell you what genotype of Hep C you have? Genotypes 2 and 3 respond better than genotype 1, but the percentage is improving for Genotype 1 now that proteases have been added to Interferon and Ribavirin. I'm glad you are getting aggressive treatment.

Hepatitis C Testing Is Recommended for Anyone:

1. With a history of blood transfusions before 1990

2. On kidney dialysis

3. With a history of IV drug use

4. With a history of high-risk sexual practices (multiple partners, history of sexually transmitted diseases)

5. Who is a spouse or close household contact of someone infected with HCV

6. Born between 1945 through 1965 should get a one-time test

7. Who shares instruments for snorting cocaine.

8. Are a health care worker who has been exposed to infected blood9. Have HIV

10. Received a piercing or tattoo in an unclean environment using unsterile equipment

11. Were born to a woman with a hepatitis C infection

Prayers up fer ya Doc !

I got tested but it seems the drugs I am on now took care of that nasty bug. But while in Operation Desert Storm, I had to take two pills, once a day to prevent bio attack and chemical attack. Those pills gave brain cancer, which I am in remission now after an operation, Diabetes, Type one. I am one an insulin pump which replaced my taking 8 to 10 injections per day to one injection every three days.

Come to find out, that pill was to be taken one pill every other week ! One of my doctors at the VA hospital, ground one up and tested it. She said that she had been a doctor for 27 years and there where 3 chemicals in that pill she could not ID. Still, I feel like crap but go on to enjoy life as best I can cause Doc, ya can't get these days back no matter how hard ya try.

Again, prayers on the way and God's speed for healing you !

Well, I sure hope ya whip this one Doc and don't worry bout comin across as a whiner cause this is the place to come for comfort!

Got bloodwork coming up and might as well have em test me for that too. Never did no drugs, have relations with questionable women, get tatooed, or have a blood transfusion. Howsumever, I lived in some less than sanitary conditions and ate very questionable food on a work detail on St Croix. Got violently ill and no one could tell me what got me but I was ill for years.

Doc, 25% of patients with Hep C never have the etiology discovered, so don't feel strange. Did the doc tell you what genotype of Hep C you have? Genotypes 2 and 3 respond better than genotype 1, but the percentage is improving for Genotype 1 now that proteases have been added to Interferon and Ribavirin. I'm glad you are getting aggressive treatment.

2. On kidney dialysis

4. With a history of high-risk sexual practices (multiple partners, history of sexually transmitted diseases)

10. Received a piercing or tattoo in an unclean environment using unsterile equipment

So Okie I have to ask because I fall into 1 and 6 and I will be getting check, but are there any symptoms that one should look for ???

Doc, I should thank ya.

I just called my Dad after I saw this post and asked if he had been checked. He hadn't heard this and hasn't been. He is going to bring it up at his next VA visit. Hopefully he's ok but either way, thank you for reminding me.

Prayers once again that all goes well with your recovery and return to work.

~EE Taft~

Well if no one else is gonna say it...

WHINER!! :D

Just kidding, I hope you continue to have success with the treatment.

Have to admit that I know basically nothing about Hep C.

From Okie's list, only 6 applies to me, but I think I was tested after dealing with a nasty sewer back up in my basement.

Hang in there Doc, we're all pulling for a full recovery.

Grizz......which 6?................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awww, I know what ya meant!

Doc, prayers up for a full and complete recovery for you. That's real good news about the Park Service granting you the time off for treatment. I remember how happy you were when you first got the New Mexico gig and I'm sure glad you'll get it back.

God Bless ya, Pard. Keep us updated, please.

2. On kidney dialysis

Yup, I have genotype 1, the hardest to treat..But this treatment I'm on is actually the final phase of a clinical trial for a new drug..Which makes me a sort of guinea pig..But it's the last of a number of trials before it's released to the public in the very near future..And it's effective against all genotypes, whereas the older treatment didn't work too good on genotype 1..The treatment I'm undergoing also only takes 12 weeks, with less of the side effects of the old treatment, which took 12 months and made ya feel REALLY crappy!

One of my doctors told me there was actually something like 50 different ways to get the bug, and there are people that have it who could live to a ripe, happy old age and never know it, but then again the virus can just suddenly go crazy and trash your liver in a very short time for no apparent reason..If I did indeed get it from tattoo work, then I've been carrying it around since the late '70's..One thing is, it don't get on well with alcohol..If one likes to drink and has the bug, the chances of them getting cirrosis or liver cancer is increased DRAMATICALLY..I figger I had enuff fun in my wild and reckless youth, so I gave up the hootch..I can't believe looking back on the cumlative amount of drinking I've done in my lifetime, along with having this virus for thirty-something years, that I didn't have some major liver damage..Like I said, the Man upstairs must have been looking out for me big-time..Right now I consider meself a purty darn lucky feller! :)

I actually got lucky on the job part as well, our Parks are in deep trouble financially right now, since they are always among the first to lose funding during bad economic times, and right now EVERYONE'S having trouble..In addition we had the big fire last year, which lost the Park nearly an entire summer's worth of revenue..The silver lining for me was I suspect they were looking at ways to cut some corners, and giving me some time off was in both our best interests..

Thanks for the replies and support Pards, Y'all have no idea how much I appreciate it! ^_^

So Okie I have to ask because I fall into 1 and 6 and I will be getting check, but are there any symptoms that one should look for ???

That's the trouble -- most have no symptoms. This is from a CDC memo:

What are the symptoms of acute Hepatitis C?Approximately 70%–80% of people with acute Hepatitis C do not have any symptoms. Some people, however, can have mild to severe symptoms soon after being infected, including

• Fever
  • Fatigue
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dark urine
  • Clay-colored bowel movements
  • Joint pain
  • Jaundice (yellow color in the skin or eyes)

Archived