SASS Wire Forum

Semi Wadcutter Bullets In Lever Action Rifle

Slick2

Hi folks, I am new to CAS and this forum, actually I have my first match this coming weekend. I want to pose a question regarding semi-wadcutter ammo in my Marlin 1894. The semi-wadcutter feeds great, no problems there but I was wondering how safe it is. I have used swc in the 158 grain and the flat nose of the bullet exceeded well past the primers center, no problem there either. I just purchased a 100 rounds of 148 grain swc thinking the nose was the same size (was not allowed to open box and inspect) When home and inspecting what I purchased I found that the 148 grain has a smaller flat nose about the size of the business part of the primer. I can't return the ammo and was wondering if I am getting too paranoid regarding the primers going off in the tube. It was suggested by someone that regardless of the smaller size flat nose of the 148 grain swc bullet, the lead is so soft it could not detonate the primer.....I would like some thoughts from any of you who have used swc in your rifles. I prefer an email if you don't mind. SlickLeather1@aol.com

Thanks

sl

Shouldn't be a problem but then I can't see the bullet shape.

If you are worried, I suggest shooting the 158s in the rifle and the 148s in the revolvers.

Then look for other shape bullets more suited to our game.

Shouldn't be a problem but then I can see the bullet shape.

If you are worried, I suggest shooting the 158s in the rifle and the 148s in the revolvers.

Then look for other shape bullets more suited to our game.

What he said.

But normally SWC's just don't do well in lever guns.

If it feeds ok with SWC then thats fine. But would think others might feed even better.

Yes. Your too paranoid. Now, about your bullets. Semi-Wadcutters in a tube feed magazine are a non issue. Pointy bullets or some round nose bullets can be a real problem. As long as the SWC ammo you have feed OK, you don't have a problem. Do not expect all SWC ammo to feed however. Not all SWC are created equal.

Coffinmaker

Well I guess the best way to go is shoot up the 148 grains in my Vaqueros and try to find some 158 grain for the Marlin. Problem out here where I am it is difficult to find what I need unless I want to drive a long distance. My Marlin is a little peculiar in that it does not do well with RNL but does okay in SWC. 38spec is always iffy but 357 is a sure thing. I am going to start reloading my own if I can find the type of bullet I need, plain 357 FNL. Today I tried to find everything except the the press..found the Trail Boss, only lead was 148 swc, but no primers to be found locally. I guess I will save up and drive to where it all is and then stock up. Anyway, thank you all for the response. S1

I make my own 120 gr. swc bullets for several marlins .38 no problem Trail Boss powder.

110 gr. swc t. boss for ruger b.hawks.

Have shot a least 20,000-30,00 in all of my cowboy guns (.38) NO PROBLEM

Don't like heavy bullets. No need for them.

CCBA

Also Bullseye powder does just a good. That is what I shoot every day. and T. B. for match

Having the "Great Northwest" in you profile as a location is not specific enough to offer help on where you can look for suppliers with bullets that will work in your Marlin.

As a commercial reloader, I load 125TC bullets at 1.54" in 38spl cases for my Marlin customers. This puts the case mouth crimped in to the top of the lube groove.

These rounds work just fine in revolvers.

Laser Cast Bullets might be in your area..?

Having the "Great Northwest" in you profile as a location is not specific enough to offer help on where you can look for suppliers with bullets that will work in your Marlin.

As a commercial reloader, I load 125TC bullets at 1.54" in 38spl cases for my Marlin customers. This puts the case mouth crimped in to the top of the lube groove.

These rounds work just fine in revolvers.

Laser Cast Bullets might be in your area..?

Try 2nd Chance Bullet Co. http://mimamarauders.com/2ndChance%20About%20Us.htm

Hi folks, I am new to CAS and this forum, actually I have my first match this coming weekend. I want to pose a question regarding semi-wadcutter ammo in my Marlin 1894. The semi-wadcutter feeds great, no problems there but I was wondering how safe it is. I have used swc in the 158 grain and the flat nose of the bullet exceeded well past the primers center, no problem there either. I just purchased a 100 rounds of 148 grain swc thinking the nose was the same size (was not allowed to open box and inspect) When home and inspecting what I purchased I found that the 148 grain has a smaller flat nose about the size of the business part of the primer. I can't return the ammo and was wondering if I am getting too paranoid regarding the primers going off in the tube. It was suggested by someone that regardless of the smaller size flat nose of the 148 grain swc bullet, the lead is so soft it could not detonate the primer.....I would like some thoughts from any of you who have used swc in your rifles. I prefer an email if you don't mind. SlickLeather1@aol.com

Thanks

sl

The 125gr TC mentioned above works reasonably well with an OAL of 1.50;

http://www.moultonlead.com/ makes a 147gr TC that feeds even better when loaded to an OAL 1.50

The OAL 1.50 is an average, each gun is a little different, but should fall in between 1.45-1.55

You're not paranoid. You're a new shooter with valid questions. Never hurts to ask.

Utah Bob said, "You're not paranoid. You're a new shooter with valid questions. Never hurts to ask."

--------------------

So very true.

Everyone in cas (any competitive sport) has gone through the trials and errors of finding what works and what doesn't. Every time I go out and shoot I have something new to check in to. Loading for others also has me testing to make what they want to use works well and reliable for them in their guns.

When you get to reloading, a couple of things to strive for.

1. Bullets with wide enough flat points to bridge the primer pocket.

2. When crimped the transition from brass to lead is smooth with no steps or bulges.

3. An overall length with bullet profile of choice that feeds well in your rifle. The revolver doesn't care except when the bullet protrudes past the front of the cylinder. If this happens you have other problems to check out.

A good source for information will be shooters at cas clubs in your area who have already gone through the start up of getting involved. They will know where to get most of what you will be looking for locally.

And, Welcome to the forum!

Utah Bob said, "You're not paranoid. You're a new shooter with valid questions. Never hurts to ask."

--------------------

So very true.

Everyone in cas (any competitive sport) has gone through the trials and errors of finding what works and what doesn't. Every time I go out and shoot I have something new to check in to. Loading for others also has me testing to make what they want to use works well and reliable for them in their guns.

When you get to reloading, a couple of things to strive for.

1. Bullets with wide enough flat points to bridge the primer pocket.

2. When crimped the transition from brass to lead is smooth with no steps or bulges.

3. An overall length with bullet profile of choice that feeds well in your rifle. The revolver doesn't care except when the bullet protrudes past the front of the cylinder. If this happens you have other problems to check out.

A good source for information will be shooters at cas clubs in your area who have already gone through the start up of getting involved. They will know where to get most of what you will be looking for locally.

And, Welcome to the forum!

Thank you and also thanks to Utah Bob for the info. I am not necessarily a new shooter just new at this kind of shooting, never concerned myself with lead and the specifics until now. It all started with my new Marlin 1894 38/357 when it started jamming at my first practice session. Then there was all kinds of info on the internet regarding the "Dreaded Marlin Jam" and of course dozens of fixes that never worked. I pretty much have the bugs out of it now, got rid of the burrs and that helped a lot. This semi wadcutter thing came from me running some through it in 38spec 158 grain and it worked great. I started gathering supplies for reloading (another new venture) and purchased a box of bullets that are 148 grain swc. Couldn't open the box and no returns. Found out that the flat tip of the 148 grain fits right in the primer pocket. I was wanting to use them in my rifle and that is where the safety question came from. I am just not going to run them through the rifle and if I have to use the swc because my rifle likes them then I will just have to be careful to get a large enough tip.

I have a Marlin 94 CBC .38 Special I purchased new some years ago. The owners manual clearly states my rifle is safe with any factory ammo(excluding wadcutters and shotshells). I would assume that includes lead roundnose.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/mfc_centerfire_1894.pdf

Thank you and also thanks to Utah Bob for the info. I am not necessarily a new shooter just new at this kind of shooting,..

Right, you're obviously not new to firearms. I should have said "New Cowboy shooter".

Right, you're obviously not new to firearms. I should have said "New Cowboy shooter".

No offense taken at all :)

I have a Marlin 94 CBC .38 Special I purchased new some years ago. The owners manual clearly states my rifle is safe with any factory ammo(excluding wadcutters and shotshells). I would assume that includes lead roundnose.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/mfc_centerfire_1894.pdf

Thanks, I couldn't get that PDF file to show up on my computer. I will check my owners manual today to see what it says.

Hey Slick2,

When you go to the match ya might ask the Pards where they get their reloading supplys.

The 125TC looks like a good choice.

The 73 will work with 38s or 357s. My 1982 Marlin Carbine will also. The Marlin Cowboy doesn't like 38 LFPs unless loaded past the crimp grove. After all a Factory 158gr 38 is 1.500". No problem since I have been shooting 357s in all rifles since I losd different for the pistol and rifle. 357 brass seems to last longer also. Never have had a 357 case split.

Have fun,

WJ

Thanks, I couldn't get that PDF file to show up on my computer. I will check my owners manual today to see what it says.

Hi again, well I did dig out my owners manual and here is what it says "Warning, some pointed and full metal jacketed round nose bullets can chain fire other cartridges in a tubular magazine during recoil causing damage to the firearm and potentially serious injury or death. All soft nose bullets including including pointed polymer tips, can be used safely in your Marlin lever action firearm.

So it would seem regardless of shape of the bullet, if it is lead which is soft I would assume it is pretty safe????????????????

Hey Slick2,

When you go to the match ya might ask the Pards where they get their reloading supplys.

The 125TC looks like a good choice.

The 73 will work with 38s or 357s. My 1982 Marlin Carbine will also. The Marlin Cowboy doesn't like 38 LFPs unless loaded past the crimp grove. After all a Factory 158gr 38 is 1.500". No problem since I have been shooting 357s in all rifles since I losd different for the pistol and rifle. 357 brass seems to last longer also. Never have had a 357 case split.

Have fun,

WJ

Thanks for the advice. I did find a source yesterday. I called and the owner stated that he has tons of reloading supplies and especially lead bullets. I will get up there in a few days to check it out. My rifle doesn't do well well with round nose but semi wadcutter is nice and smooth especially in 357.

As far as my safety concern, I dug out the owners manual and here is what it states "Warning, some pointed and full metal jacketed round nose bullets can chain fire other cartridges in a tubular magazine during recoil causing damage to the firearm and potentially serious injury or death. All soft nose bullets including pointed polymer tips, can be used safely in your Marlin lever action firearm.

That is a nicely written piece of advice....

Too many folks have unwarranted paranoia about bullet types (IMO).. and that's fine - whatever floats their particular watercraft....until they try to insist everyone else joins them in it!

Many years ago when I first started in CAS I could ONLY get round nose lead bullets for my 44-40... well.. that was going to lead to Armageddon according to some folks down here...

So I did a little test.... I placed a primed unloaded case in a clamp... arranged one of those RN bullets so that the nose was snugged up agin the primer... and started tapping on the base ofthat bullet.. (Yes, while I was very doubtful there was any danger I was appropriately attired)

I reached the point of hitting it hard enough to deform the projectile without achieving a primer detonation...

Now I don't know about you... but I don't reckon ANY likely recoil... or even any dropped rifle... would get anywhere near the force I applied to that bullet nose/primer combination...

Just my experience of course...

Archived