SASS Wire Forum

High Primers

Flat Water Bob

As I was shooting up the last of my 45lc loads, I discovered I had several boxes of high primers. (Yup, I was obviously asleep at the switch on my last run of reloading.) At any rate, I sat up my Lee Pro 1000 again and started cranking out some new loads. HIGH PRIMERS. Not very high, but certainly high enough that some rounds do not cycle in a revolver. Just no where near where they should be...half a hair below the surface. I checked for obvious debris around the turret, etc., and then called Lee. They suggested the shell plate had crept up some, so I removed the shell plate, cleaned it up and bit and put it back into place. STILL HAVE HIGH PRIMERS. This is the second season for the loader, so age is not the issue. I de-primed and cleaned the pockets before reloading, so the pockets are not the problem either.

Any suggestions?

As I was shooting up the last of my 45lc loads, I discovered I had several boxes of high primers. (Yup, I was obviously asleep at the switch on my last run of reloading.) At any rate, I sat up my Lee Pro 1000 again and started cranking out some new loads. HIGH PRIMERS. Not very high, but certainly high enough that some rounds do not cycle in a revolver. Just no where near where they should be...half a hair below the surface. I checked for obvious debris around the turret, etc., and then called Lee. They suggested the shell plate had crept up some, so I removed the shell plate, cleaned it up and bit and put it back into place. STILL HAVE HIGH PRIMERS. This is the second season for the loader, so age is not the issue. I de-primed and cleaned the pockets before reloading, so the pockets are not the problem either.

Any suggestions?

You have to press firmly to seat the primer as has been said. But, I have less than full confidence in that so I have gone to the RCBS hand seater for this step. No problems now. It changes easily from large to small priming Or you could continue to complain to LEE and ask them to replace your system. Get tough with them. Or, spend $600 and get a Dillon.

Archived