SASS Wire Forum

Hit or Miss

T W T

I was at a match recently and the conversation came up about what was considered a hit. Another member mentioned that a hit on the target stand is not a hit since it didn't hit the target. I figured if it hit any part of the target (or stand) it was a hit. The BOD goes to the shooter, there was probably a ping, looks like a hit to me. The shooter was engaging the correct target with the correct gun, which is what the handbook says. What do you think?

Thanks, TWT

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to matches where it was spelled out at the safety meeting that a hit on the stand was considered a hit. But absent that, and not finding anything in the manuals, I'd say it's a miss.

Consider a knockdown rack. Hit the rack frame all you want, if the target is well built and correctly calibrated, target is not going down. There is a reason they call it a target, and they call the stand something different than "the target".

Hitting the stand is a miss, if you can tell it was "all stand". Any hit on the target, though, it's a hit.

Good luck, GJ

What's the call if it hits the BOLT holding the target to the stand? :lol:

If the bolt is on the front of the target and clearly inside the boundary of the target I would call it a hit. Usually when that happens you get bullet splatter on the target face anyway. Even if bullet hits the ground and ricochets into the proper target it is a hit. If it hits another target of any kind and ricochets into the proper target it is a hit. If it hits the target stand and ricochets into the target it is a hit. If it hits the stand only it is a miss.

Are you kidding me! (I hope so)

Hit on target or hit on target stand.

If you hit the target stand you did not hit the target.

(qualifier. You can hit the target stand by hitting the target edge. BUT you did hit the target first)

Stands can be 1/2" round steel rod or 5" channel iron.

We can't hang targets in mid air on nothing.

Next will be hitting the dirt the target stand is sitting on will be a hit.

------------------

This will lead to paper targets scored by holes in the paper target and/or all knockdown targets...... which I think is a good idea for top gun shoot offs.

I have been to matches where it was spelled out at the safety meeting that a hit on the stand was considered a hit. But absent that, and not finding anything in the manuals, I'd say it's a miss.

REF: RO1 p.23 - "5-SECOND PENALTIES"

It's all up to the spotters. If you think it's a miss, it's a hit. It always goes to the shooter. Nuff said?

:) Rye

PWB, I saw that, and the definition of a miss several other places as well. My point was that I could not find anything that defined a target as including the stand.

I too have been to matches that it was spelled out as the "ground to sky rule". A hit on any portion of the target or stand was a hit.

The vast majority of the shoots, a hit on the target stand is a miss.

I figure I'm there to play so I'll play by your rules.

Thanks for the comments. I've been to shoots where if it hits any part of the target (or stand) it's a hit. I'll give the BOD to the shooter and call it excellent marksmanship.

Thanks, TWT

What if I hit the ground that the target stand was standing on while the target was attached to it? Close enough? :unsure::lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Somebody tell me where those clubs are that consider the stand as part of the target and I'll shoot there all the time. ;)

TEXAS! See you soon?

A hit on the target stand is a hit. Gotta be. Think about it. First shot on the plate rack hits the stand and knocks em all down. What do ya call that if it ain't a hit? :) :)

what if , a shooter hits two target stands with two pistols, double cocking-----simultaneously and nobody see it.......?????????....... We call hittin' the target stand a good shot at the S.W. Regional... There is not a dang one of You that would insist on giving Yourself a miss after hitting a target stand.. or at least I have never seen it !!!!! That's just my 2 cents worth...shoot and have fun !!!!

I'd say that unless there is a bullet mark on the target stand that the spotters can definitely say was from that shot it is a hit.

If spotters saw no dirt kicked up to indicate a miss the BOD is a hit.

Or perhaps that shot was a blank which would give the same indications as above which would also be a hit.

SCG

I just did my ccw renew for nevada

had ta qualify on the range

stand hits, wont git ya renewed :huh:

hitting the stands, should not win you a match either

even if it is just for entertainment / bragging rights

mileage always varies

Madd Mike, my CCW class target had a bunch of hits center mass, and one on each leg and one in the groin. I told the instructor that I didn't want the bad guy to get away, hence the leg shots, I also didn't want him to reproduce, hence the groin shot, but he kept coming at me so that explained all the hits to center mass! :D :D :D

I think a hit on the target stand is a miss...

Didn't hit the target..

I HAVE hit the bolt that holds the target... knocked off the bolt head.. they handed it to me..

I have it glued up on the wall of my man cave/reloading room in the basement...

and yes... I told them that's exactly where I was aiming :rolleyes:

But...

At a local club we shoot at they call a hit on any of the paint.. a hit...

and yes...

they paint the targets and the target stands.. so... there... at that club... It's a hit..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' better ask the club before ya start.. :)

Utah Bob... come on over to Shady Creek Shootist in central Illinois.. :D

Madd Mike, my CCW class target had a bunch of hits center mass, and one on each leg and one in the groin. I told the instructor that I didn't want the bad guy to get away, hence the leg shots, I also didn't want him to reproduce, hence the groin shot, but he kept coming at me so that explained all the hits to center mass! :D :D :D

now that is funny

but R-tick-U-lating that in a court room

might not go over so well

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-hahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The target is whatever the home club designates it to be, like it or not. I shoot at several places with the ground to sky rule. If'n you shoot there, and I'm a spotter, just let me know if you have trouble with that. I'll be damn sure and watch center mass when you shoot so we don't sneek a stand or edge in on you. Rest of the posse will thank you for that.

what if , a shooter hits two target stands with two pistols, double cocking-----simultaneously and nobody see it.......?????????....... We call hittin' the target stand a good shot at the S.W. Regional... There is not a dang one of You that would insist on giving Yourself a miss after hitting a target stand.. or at least I have never seen it !!!!! That's just my 2 cents worth...shoot and have fun !!!!

If'n bof dem symuletineus boolits hitz da stan on da same spot iz it 2 Peas? Not in TEXAS! ;) ;)

I'm beginning to think that there is some kind of a Rule Flu going around. Seems that lately we are seeing more and more folks who just can not, or will not follow the rules. This is just another in a recent rash of things that have no merit what ever.

If you miss the target and hit the stand, it is a miss. It shouldn't take a heavy thinker to figure that out......... I did it! :wacko:

Snakebite

Archived