SASS Wire Forum

Sights to 1873 Winchester carbine

Sixgun Symphony #62632

The factory sights on my 1873 carbine from Cimarron has sights that graduate out to 900 yards. The sights at 100yds are good, but when I tried to use the ladder sight at 200 and 300 yards, it was no good. I find the V notch on the adjustable ladder sight hard to use. I am thinking about getting a new rear sight installed. Not sure what I want though.

I am curious on what distance that others here have been able to get consistant hits with the .44-40 cartridge from out of a '73 carbine. Could anyone make recommendations on what rear sight to get for this carbine?

Any shooting over 100yards with a carbine is just wishful dreaming IMO.

Sure it will shoot farther but why would you want to? If you are thinking of hunting

with the 44/40 that's about as far as I would want to use it for a good kill.

If you want to shoot farther a longer barrel gun would be more appropriate.

I'm sure others will jump on here and claim they can shoot one 200yrds or better with

open sights.They must have a lot better eyes and less shaky than me. :blush:;)

I was just wondering what the Winchester people were thinking when they decided on this sight for this carbine. I could not get any hits at 200, 300 yards. It really is a CQB weapon.

I wonder why they had the sights graduate out to 900 yards. I suppose the Winchester people were thinking of military contracts and that the sights were only meant to put a "cone of fire" on mass formations of enemy rather than on individual targets.

Watch Lonsome Dove. You will see 'ol Gus show ya how to use them there sights!!!

+1 Nothing wrong with the sights on the carbine. The Winchester folks designed them to provide maximum utility and flexibility in a saddle gun. With a bit of practice, a fella can learn to shoot with them. I have seen a fellow in our club make 9/10 hits on an 18x18 plate at 300 yards with both the 73 and the 86 carbine using the standard sporting leaf (ladder) sight. Winchester designed the carbine for the "one gun man" who needed a quick handling, quick mounting, reliable tool. That is why one rarely, if ever, finds an original Winchester 1873 carbine in anything other than well worn condition. Lots of pristine rifles around...... :)

Archived