SASS Wire Forum

Neil Armstrong, dead at 82

Subdeacon Joe

Rest in Peace, Sir.

of the moon. (NASA/Newsmakers)

Last Updated 3:32 p.m. ET

(CBS News) Neil Armstrong, the Apollo 11 astronaut who became the first human being to set foot on another world, has died. He was 82.

In a statement his family said Armstrong had passed away following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.

The family described him as a loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend, and also as "a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job."

Godspeed.....thank you Mr. Neil Armstrong for showing us that dreams can come alive...thank you for the contribution you gave our country.

GG

Alan Shepard was my astronaut hero, but Armstrong was a close second!

Fair seas and following winds, Sir!

I'll bet his heart was racin' as he opened up dat hatch an set foot on da surface.

Rest in well deserved peace SIr !

God's speed for comfort an healin' to his family.

He gave alot of kids a great reason to dream bigger!

We have truly lost a great American Hero.

:FlagAm:

~EE Taft~

Tail winds and blue skies on your final flight west sir

He won't need a tail wind. He's heading to the stars.

Rest in peace Sir.

I was at summer camp with the Boy Scouts when the moon landing happened..They set up a little TV in one of the meeting halls so we could watch it..I'll always remember those words.."One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

RIP Neil..One of the good guys!

The Original SPACE COWBOY has gone to the other side .

R.I.P -_-

I was a little over one year old when Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins completed the mission to land on the moon. I still remember in my youth that I wanted to be an astronaut. Apollo 11 crew was my heroes mostly Neil and Buzz (for the longest time I cannot remember the thirds guys name :wacko: ).

I look at my son today and I don't know if he has a hero like that Armstrong. He idolizes athletes but I can't tell if he has a hero who is worthy of being called a hero.

I worked in a sweatshop that summer. I was getting 1.85/hr. Start work at 5am, breakfast in the company coffee shop at 6:30. Coffee for a nickel. The tv was replaying the landing. That's how I learned about it.

The reason for a cheap company coffee shop and lunch place was so that guys would not leave the plant and have liquid lunches or not come back. They would not give out paychecks till quitting time on Friday either, spouses could pick up the check though.

My first job out of college was at North American Aviation in Downey, Ca. as a young gopher engineer.I spent 20 years there and met a lot of the Apollo & Space Shuttle NASA people. I met Neil Armstrong who was a real gentleman as were most of the Astronauts.

My wife and I were over at her parents house to watch the live coverage of the moon walk. Her Father was plant manager at NAA and was responsible for the manufacture of the Apollo Spacecraft. It was a memorable time for our famile as my Dad worked there too.

RIP Neil Armstrong, you were a real gentleman and pioneer in every sense of the word :FlagAm:

I got back from Vietnam in March of '69, pretty much a mess. Two things I remember on TV that summer were Woodstock and the moon landing. (I decided I didn't want to be a hippie after all.) Watched Armstrong step onto the moon live on TV. I figured maybe things weren't so bad afer all, look what Americans can do. I owe Neil Armstrong a great debt. I salute you, sir!

The O'Meara Himself

Archived