SASS Wire Forum

series 80 Colt 1911 vs Springfield Mil-Spec

Irish Pat

I have a chance to get a great deal on a series 80 Colt 1911 but I will to sell my Springfield Mil-Spec for the funds to get it. One of my friends said I should forget the Colt and stay with the Springfield as the series 80's aren't as good. I have always wanted a Colt, is the Springfield better? Irish Pat, sass 19486

Series 80 Colts not as good? Poppycock... Although I don't shoot it as much, my 1991A1 is 100% reliable with the 1000's of rounds fired through it.

I hear the Springfield Mil-Spec is excellent to!...save up the money and have both.

GG

I've had a series 80 since 1991. Totally reliable and very accurate.

The Springfield is a good gun, but the Colt will hold its value better.

Mine is worth more now than what I paid for it new in 91.

The Springfield is a more 'finished' gun. I have a series 70 Colts and a Springfield Mil Spec. The Colts is a nice gun, but you could shave with darn near every edge on the outside of it. It really needs some serious dehorning to be usable.

They are both reliable and accurate. The Colt's has that certain something that all Colts seem to have. The Springfield is a real workhorse and has responded well to all the refining that's been done to it.

A Series 80, however, is definitely not the equal of a Mil Spec, IMHO.

The Springfield is a more 'finished' gun. I have a series 70 Colts and a Springfield Mil Spec. The Colts is a nice gun, but you could shave with darn near every edge on the outside of it. It really needs some serious dehorning to be usable.

They are both reliable and accurate. The Colt's has that certain something that all Colts seem to have. The Springfield is a real workhorse and has responded well to all the refining that's been done to it.

A Series 80, however, is definitely not the equal of a Mil Spec, IMHO.

Didn't have to do anything to my Colt. Worked perfect from day one....being an A1 and parkerized it has an 'industrial' beauty about it :)

GG

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I got several... of each, includin' two Series 70 Colts... Series 70 Colts. Two Springfield Longslides which I truly enjoy... Heckle and Jeckle

Mr. August West said:

The Colts is a nice gun, but you could shave with darn near every edge on the outside of it. It really needs some serious dehorning to be usable.

I truly respect Mr. West's opinion... but never have heard that complaint before.... and I know a LOT of Colt .45 owners.

If you ask me... "holding value"... "name"... to name just a few preferences...

Go with the Colt. Today... other than the age, the Series 80 has JUST as much appeal as the Series 70.

ts

I got several... of each, includin' two Series 70 Colts... Series 70 Colts. Two Springfield Longslides which I truly enjoy... Heckle and Jeckle

Mr. August West said:

I truly respect Mr. West's opinion... but never have heard that complaint before.... and I know a LOT of Colt .45 owners.

If you ask me... "holding value"... "name"... to name just a few preferences...

Go with the Colt. Today... other than the age, the Series 80 has JUST as much appeal as the Series 70.

ts

Well, I can tell you, it sure screwed my holster up !!! I wish I knew who to send it to for de-horning. It is sharp, sharp, sharp. No kiddin'.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Well, I can tell you, it sure screwed my holster up !!! I wish I knew who to send it to for de-horning. It is sharp, sharp, sharp. No kiddin'.

I don't doubt it... one bit...

But Heckle and Jeckle also has sharp edges... and Mernickle has a coatin' on his holsters to prevent that holster-screw-up....

Back when I was a fat boy...

Mr. West... You are good sport. From ya SASS number... looks like you and I joined SASS within weeks of each other. Nice to meet ya... hope to meet you in person one fine day.

ts

Both have been making 1911s Configuration Pistols for a Long Time.

My preference is the Dancing Pony Mfg 1911 of Brownings old pistol.

As far as the Series 80 Colt Statement"Not being as Good" I have to disagree

My 1911 Configuration Colts are a combimation of Series 70s and 80s going back to a 1943 A1

and Sized from old Mustang Pocket Lites to 5Inch Pistols in different calibers

Both 70s and 80s and Both Mfgs. have been Getting The Job Done for a Lot of Years.

My 2 Cents

Hagen

Both have been making 1911s Configuration Pistols for a Long Time.

My preference is the Dancing Pony Mfg 1911 of Brownings old pistol.

As far as the Series 80 Colt Statement"Not being as Good" I have to disagree

My 1911 Configuration Colts are a combimation of Series 70s and 80s going back to a 1943 A1

and Sized from old Mustang Pocket Lites to 5Inch Pistols in different calibers

Both 70s and 80s and Both Mfgs. have been Getting The Job Done for a Lot of Years.

My 2 Cents

Hagen

"Springfield Armory" was the first Federal Arsenal, existing from 1777 to 1968. The 1911 was not produced here. My error, the arsenal did make 25,767 1911's on contract from Colt from 1914 to 1916.

The current private company called "Springfield Armory" licensed the name in 1974. They started churning out 1911s in the 1980's, mostly from foreign parts. No where near as long as Colt.

"Springfield Armory" was the first Federal Arsenal, existing from 1777 to 1960. 1911 was not produced here.

The current private company called "Springfield Armory" lisenced the name in 1974. They started churning out 1911s in the 1980's, mosttly from foriegn parts. No where near as long as Colt.

Almost true for as much as you said; Springfield started that way but soon changed direction.

I’ve shot and owned a lot of 1911’s starting in 1965. I have owned and shot both Colt and Springfield 1911’s both early manufacture and later. For my money the Model 70 Colt was the high point for Colts not that the Model 80 was bad but adding another safety to the three that were already there seemed redundant finish and fit remained excellent. The very early Springfield’s were nothing to brag about but by the very late 1970’s that had begain to change and now they are every bit as serviceable as a Colt and in many cases better. The reason, Colt never thought they needed to compete with the other producers of 1911’s while Springfield did. Springfield by the mid 1980’s had become and has remained a major player in developing excellent out of the box 1911’s.

Semper Fi

I have owned two Colts, a 1911 and a AR15. My 1911 was a series 80. It didn't shoot worth beans. It stovepiped on every other magazine. I did enjoy telling all my buddies that I had a Colt but I would not take it to the range when they were going to be there. Mostly because I didn't want them to think that Colts were bad guns. They are not.

I now own two Springfield Armory 1911s, a Trophy Match and a Mil-Spec. Both pistols run flawlessly. I didn't have to try every brand of magazine on the market to find one that works like some others out there. I have not had one malfunction with either of them and the Trophy Match has shot well over at thousand rounds. My Mil-Spec was bought last fall and has only a few hundred through it.

I do know that Springfield Armory firearms have a lifetime warranty (to the original owner, second owner has to cover shipping) and I believe that Colt's is only a year if I remember correctly.

Your mileaga may very. That is my experience take it for what it is worth.

For more insight on 1911s check out www.1911forum.com

Ketchum Quick

Here's the real bottom line on your question. One of these firearms will be an original Colt and will be marked COLT. One of these firearms will not be marked COLT nor will it have the value of an original COLT. One is the real deal and the other is a copy, now and for ever.

There is nothing wrong with a 1911 by COLT: commercial or government property, pre-series 70, Series-70, Series 80, 1911, 1911A1 or 1991A1. All are COLTs and no matter what, will always be a COLT. The Series 80 is a safer pistol to carry in condition 1(which is the only way a Government Model should be carried).

Birdshot

I consider the Series 80 1911's to be Colt's equivalent of the post 83 Winchester 94's, a bastardization of John Browning's excellent design.

Go with a series 70, or a vintage 1911 or 1911A1, or the "new" model 70's or the WWI replica of the 1911 if you want a Colt. If you just want a nice 1911 type pistol, stay with the Springfield over a Series 80.

I have a series 80 and a Springfield MilSpec.

In my opinion the Series 70s were a bit better but if I had to give up one of them it would be the Springfield.

I have had good luck with both 70 and 80 designed 1911s.( and 1991s )

I cant say I had more or less problems with my Remingtons or my Colts.

I bought a new Remington GI. A few years ago and LOVED the gun.

I really regretted selling it.

I will say this though .

I am glad that Ruger went with the Series 70 designed 1911s. :huh:

This one I will keep for my life time :wub:

I have had my Ruger for a little over a year and it will Run any ammo I feed it . :blink:

And Pards its a tack driver !

Oh ayah You Colt Guys the RUGER 1911 is 100% American Made also ! :FlagAm:

I have a series 80 and a Springfield MilSpec.

In my opinion the Series 70s were a bit better but if I had to give up one of them it would be the Springfield.

+ 1!

I have a stainless Springfield MilSpec and did not care for the trigger pull. It came with an Internal Lock System (ILS) that's built into a funky mainspring housing with an odd mainspring setup. I swapped it out for a Colt housing, with a Wolf mainspring and its now much better. However, I generally use a Norinco 1911, which is a direct copy of a 1911-A1, for Wild Bunch which is my only time I shoot a 1911.

I've never owned a Colt series 80, but have had several older Colts including a 1916-made 1911. All have worked fine. Like an idiot, I sold them for other stuff, that is now way gone.

My recommendation is to buy a Colt and hang onto it.

In my opinion, always buy good magazines. I prefer 7-round Colt's for Wild Bunch. Midway has them on sale perodically for > $20. They work great.

Pat,

Like everyone else I have several Colt's. A couple has the 70 series firing syste, seveal used to have the 80 series firing system. I also have a Springfild that use to have the 80 series firing system. You can convert the 80 system to a 70 system very easily. My personal prfeference is the original firing system. If you can buy a Colt at a reasonable price and the gun is good shape buy it regardless what systen it has. Colt will always outsell Springfield, Taurus and anyone else that comes along, but don't make it a safe queen, it is meant to be shot.

My 1911 is better than your 1911......come on........it's a 1911 :wub:

All of them can use a little gunsmithing to be reliable...........and good mags

Life is too short......get what makes you happy

Wyatt

We Opened a Keg of Worms On This Subject.

Lets Open Another One , I Think We Got These Back In The Barrel At This Point.

Ginger no Mary Ann, I have both a Colt and Springfield, the Colt is my Oh and Ahh gun the Springfield is my truck gun, would not part with either. use my Springfield for Wild Bunch, just because it is set up for WB traditional were Colt is WB modern. Now I have a Kimber for my carry gun.

Rafe

Ginger no Mary Ann, I have both a Colt and Springfield, the Colt is my Oh and Ahh gun the Springfield is my truck gun, would not part with either. use my Springfield for Wild Bunch, just because it is set up for WB traditional were Colt is WB modern. Now I have a Kimber for my carry gun.

Rafe

I am doing pretty much the same: A Nickle plated Colt National Match is my BBQ gun. My Springfield serves the same purpose as yours, plus I can shoot it in Wild Bunch matches if I ever get around to it. My primary carry gun is a P12 Para Ord. I just love .45 ACP! :FlagAm:

I'll keep Ginger & Mary Ann, I'm not greedy though, you guys can have Mrs. Howell! :lol:

Archived