SASS Wire Forum

Ya know you're getting old when.....

Widder, SASS #59054

..... and the car had a manual throttle you could pull out when you started it....

For those of our pards who were born post-1960-or-so, it was called a "choke".

This morning, I had to call up a DJ and ask him to explain to younger listeners that a song called "The NRA Blues" had to do with FDR's National Recovery Administration, not the National Rifle Ass'n. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, I wasn't even there at the time; in fact my DAD was only three or four when that Administration was instituted!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean, the folks?

My 46 Ford was like that.

That was the first "cruise control". Mine had a pull out throtle (not choke - it had that too) twist lock on it to lock the throttle.

And my BSA and AJS motorcycles had manual spark retard levers so when you kick start you didn't get thrown over the bars (btw, it wasn't always effective). :P

Then, you go to the aviation museum and find three different generations of retired airplanes on display - you look at the bureau numbers and realize you flew each exact bird (had to check my log book). Went to dinner that nite and ordered off the senior menu for the first time. :huh:

When you remember the Rambler with the push button gear shift pad.

Ohhhhh, mom and dad had one of those when I was just a pup.

Now, I do remember some cars you could start without the key in the ignition. Just grab those little 'wings' sticking out from the ignition part and turn it. VAAAROOOOOM, the car would start.

..........Widder

1. The first time a really nice looking 18-year girl calls you "Sir."

2. You get an invitation to join AARP in the mail.

3. They give you the senior citizen discount without asking your age.

4. All your joints get stiff except one.

The OldMeara Himself

You know you are getting old, when you know more people in the cemetery than who's still walking around.

you go out to eat with your father, and he not only lets you pick up the tab, he expects you to pick up the tab!

You go to the Smithsonian Museum of American History and see the toys your parents gave you for Christmas on display as artifacts of the 20th Century. (I started ordering off the senior's menu too.)

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Ya know you're getting old when.....

When you won't buy green bananas.

ts

When you remember the Rambler with the push button gear shift pad.

Remember it?! I owned one my second year in college through graduation! Station wagon with the seat backs that went down (and you hoped you'd run into a girl who'd...[censored]!!! Never did, though... ^_^ Used to haul the AFROTC Cadet rifle team around in it, with all the target rifles, ammo, spotting scopes, etc., on the back deck. Danged head cracked across the number 3 cylinder at 22,000 miles! Fortunately, AMC had a 30,000 mile warrantee on the beast. After graduation, I bought a Ford Ranch Wagon Special (Country Sedan Wagon without the wood decals on the sides).

BTW, showed my grandson a sliderule. He's a sophomore in high school. Never heard of one, much less seen one! I could barely remember how to work it myself! (Sigh! I have more computing power in my shirt pocket calculator than Apollo 11's guidance system, and mine cost about $15.95! :blink: )

Oh Great Leviathian:

I KNEW beyond any doubt that my thread would drag your carcase out of that easy chair and back on the Wire. We are all glad you're recovering well.

Philly: Hey, sometimes....."Resistance is Futile"..... :lol:

..........Widder

It's only futile if it doesn't gain you something. I resist simply to tick people off...and it almost always works. (You can get away with that if you're old.)

I was always told I'd shrink as I got older, but I must be getting taller. The hair that used to grow out the top of my head only gets up far enough to grow out of my ears now

Deadeye,

those were funny. I think I had heard the first one before but the 2nd one was a new one to me.

:lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Oh.....oh I can't quit laughin'! That was frikkin' funny thar! :lol:

The story was funny and that was just a perfect fit.

When you can laugh, fart, pee, sneeze, cough, get a cramp and throw yer back out all at the same time!

My kids asked me how much homework my teacher had me do on the internet when I was in 5th grade......

.........that made me laugh so hard I farted.....I'm not old enough yet to do it all at the same time...but I'm gettin' there.

~EE Taft~

.... After graduation, I bought a Ford Ranch Wagon Special (Country Sedan Wagon without the wood decals on the sides).

Country Squire,mebbe?

My Mom had one to haul all us kids around in.

Went into the Doctor the other day for a checkup after the surgery. Doc asked for a urine sample, a blood sample and a stool sample.

My wife said: "Just give him your underwear."

Went into the Doctor the other day for a checkup after the surgery. Doc asked for a urine sample, a blood sample and a stool sample.

My wife said: "Just give him your underwear."

Thanks Mantee..

funniest thing I read fer a while..

It made me laugh out loud..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' glad yer back and feelin' better :)

Country Squire,mebbe?

My Mom had one to haul all us kids around in.

No, actually, the 1965 Country Sedan Wagon was identical to the Country Squire, but without the fake wood panelling. The two both had a roof rack. The regular ranch wagon did not come with the roof rack. But for some reason, the "Special" was offered with the roof rack, but only in white or dark blue. It was quite expensive...$5,000. But my grandfather had passed and left me enough to buy the Ranch Wagon Special. As I was newly commissioned as a 2LT in the USAF, but before going on active duty, I chose the blue one. Later, when I reported in to Malmstrom AFB, MT, the guard waved me right in. I stopped and told him this was a POV and I needed a temporary pass until I could get the car registered on base. Turned out, the vehicle, except for having the roof rack, was identical to the staff cars being used at MAFB! :)

Ya' know yer gettin' old when you can't stand the music your kids play and the stuff your parents listened to ain't so bad anymore!! :lol:

I'm okay! The kids at the fraternity houses still like what we play, so either they're gettin' old or I'm into that second childhood. :rolleyes::unsure::wacko:

Nah!! I ain't finished my first childhood yet!!! :o:lol::lol:

No, actually, the 1965 Country Sedan Wagon was identical to the Country Squire, but without the fake wood panelling....

OK, Sedan Wagon just sounded like an oxymoron ("contradiction in terms")- is it a sedan or is it a wagon?

Mom's was the blue version.

For those of our pards who were born post-1960-or-so, it was called a "choke".

This morning, I had to call up a DJ and ask him to explain to younger listeners that a song called "The NRA Blues" had to do with FDR's National Recovery Administration, not the National Rifle Ass'n. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, I wasn't even there at the time; in fact my DAD was only three or four when that Administration was instituted!

Had a couple of cars with a choke AND a manual throttle / gas feed / accelerator.

1. The first time a really nice looking 18-year girl calls you "Sir."

2. You get an invitation to join AARP in the mail.

3. They give you the senior citizen discount without asking your age.

4. All your joints get stiff except one.

The OldMeara Himself

All of that was long ago. ;)

Remember it?! I owned one my second year in college through graduation! Station wagon with the seat backs that went down (and you hoped you'd run into a girl who'd...[censored]!!! Never did, though... ^_^ Used to haul the AFROTC Cadet rifle team around in it, with all the target rifles, ammo, spotting scopes, etc., on the back deck. Danged head cracked across the number 3 cylinder at 22,000 miles! Fortunately, AMC had a 30,000 mile warrantee on the beast. After graduation, I bought a Ford Ranch Wagon Special (Country Sedan Wagon without the wood decals on the sides).

BTW, showed my grandson a sliderule. He's a sophomore in high school. Never heard of one, much less seen one! I could barely remember how to work it myself! (Sigh! I have more computing power in my shirt pocket calculator than Apollo 11's guidance system, and mine cost about $15.95! :blink: )

Had a '57 DeSoto wagon with a push button transmission by the driver's door, a windshield that curved around and over the top, and rear facing third row seats. When you folded the second and third rows of seats down it was as big as a basketball court and you could have truly great time with a couple of blankets, a can of Glass Wax, and a redheaded girlfriend from Texas.

OK, Sedan Wagon just sounded like an oxymoron ("contradiction in terms")- is it a sedan or is it a wagon?

Mom's was the blue version.

Probably the oxymoron was the Ford publicity guy that thought of the name! :P Whtever the case, they don't make wagons anymore. The closest they come is some sort of crossover vehicle, and in 2003 I had to buy an Expedition to replace my '87 Crown Vic wagon that had 187,000 miles (couldn't get parts very easily for the wagon) in order to haul whatever cubic space I needed. Can't afford any "crossovers" nowadays.

Probably the oxymoron was the Ford publicity guy that thought of the name! :P Whtever the case, they don't make wagons anymore. The closest they come is some sort of crossover vehicle, and in 2003 I had to buy an Expedition to replace my '87 Crown Vic wagon that had 187,000 miles (couldn't get parts very easily for the wagon) in order to haul whatever cubic space I needed. Can't afford any "crossovers" nowadays.

Funny. Chrysler "invented" the minivan (in 1984, 34 years after VW introduced the Microbus :rolleyes:) because station wagons were uncool middle-class suburbian, and now "crossovers" are replacing minivans because they're uncool middle-class suburbian.

Archived