SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army shooters ~ look into this....

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

http://www.gunblast.com/BeltMtn-OldArmy.htm

Not sure if it's legal or not, but it seems a pretty handy idea!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Don't know why ya would want one. Other than cutting down on some weight forward. If ya don't use the rammer, which I don't, because I load out of the gun. The Ruger base pin works and I never turn the locking screw. The loading lever/base pin can't go anywhere.

Also Ruger made the ROA pin a weeee bit different than the other pins. Must be why it never binds with fouling.

Thanks anyway for thinking of us

WJ

Yes it is legal have seen some use it.

Don't know why ya would want one. Other than cutting down on some weight forward. If ya don't use the rammer, which I don't, because I load out of the gun. The Ruger base pin works and I never turn the locking screw. The loading lever/base pin can't go anywhere.

Also Ruger made the ROA pin a weeee bit different than the other pins. Must be why it never binds with fouling.

Thanks anyway for thinking of us

WJ

Yes it is legal have seen some use it.

Thanks - yup, just passin' along for those that may not be savvy to it :)

I always thought the front of the cylinder and lip (here) was the big factor for reliable cylinder rotation by inhibiting fouling getting in the base pin area - the '58 Remmie doesn't have this and I think it's the Achilles heal....

I shoot both Remmies and ROA's in Frontiersman. I have my Remmies set up so I can shoot 6 stages without touching them. I have shot 12 but they get a bit tight/gummy.

I use Bore Butter on the cylinder pin and on both faces of the cylinder. I made sure my cylinder gap was good. And I use wonder wads. But the wonder wads are soaked in 50/50 mix of beeswax and Crisco. Everytime a round goes off it is lubing the pin. Don't load in advance of needing to shoot especially on hot days. Never had a problem with powder contamination but why risk it?

I do the same thing with my ROA's. They shoot 12 stages no problem.

Ike

I shoot both Remmies and ROA's in Frontiersman. I have my Remmies set up so I can shoot 6 stages without touching them. I have shot 12 but they get a bit tight/gummy.

I use Bore Butter on the cylinder pin and on both faces of the cylinder. I made sure my cylinder gap was good. And I use wonder wads. But the wonder wads are soaked in 50/50 mix of beeswax and Crisco. Everytime a round goes off it is lubing the pin. Don't load in advance of needing to shoot especially on hot days. Never had a problem with powder contamination but why risk it?

I do the same thing with my ROA's. They shoot 12 stages no problem.

Ike

My Cabelas bought in '91 - $99 - Pietta Remington '58 needs a 'hand assist' to rotate the cylinder after about 18 shots.I also use wonder wads (well...pre-lubed) Even after 12 shots the pin has been nearly impossible to slid out. Guess some Rem's are prone to this....The Ruger Old Army is a dream to shoot...feels about the same from first shot to last shot.

OK Here are my thoughts on this and are probably not worth a thing.

The ROA base pin/loading lever is not the same diameter through the whole cylinder. So therefore a very small area of it contacts the Cly. like a Vaquero.

The Vaquero BP is the same Dia. for the total length of it. So more contacts the Cly.

I shot Vaqueros that I sat up with the same clearances as the ROA. Barrel to Cly gap .080, Cly bushing .002 use same Goex 3F

no lube with the ROA Vaqueros would bind after 2-3 stages. put a little Ballistol on the base pin no problem. ROA will shoot all day long with no oil, grease, lube on top of the ball, or no wonder wads. So the only difference is the base pin.

IMHO,

WJ

OK Here are my thoughts on this and are probably not worth a thing.

The ROA base pin/loading lever is not the same diameter through the whole cylinder. So therefore a very small area of it contacts the Cly. like a Vaquero.

The Vaquero BP is the same Dia. for the total length of it. So more contacts the Cly.

I shot Vaqueros that I sat up with the same clearances as the ROA. Barrel to Cly gap .080, Cly bushing .002 use same Goex 3F

no lube with the ROA Vaqueros would bind after 2-3 stages. put a little Ballistol on the base pin no problem. ROA will shoot all day long with no oil, grease, lube on top of the ball, or no wonder wads. So the only difference is the base pin.

IMHO,

WJ

My Vaq's cyl gap to barrel is about .007" - and they run all day with FFg Goex - Slim-Pony lubed Big Lube Bullets.

I have heard folks trying to do grooves and such in their Remmie base pins, even adding lube in them before putting them in....but to no avail. The cylinder gap does have an effect I know that.

The cylinder on a Vaquero doesn;t have collar like the ROA does here I always thought that the collared version in the ROA helped.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My Vaq's cyl gap to barrel is about .007" - and they run all day with FFg Goex - Slim-Pony lubed Big Lube Bullets.

I have heard folks trying to do grooves and such in their Remmie base pins, even adding lube in them before putting them in....but to no avail. The cylinder gap does have an effect I know that.

The cylinder on a Vaquero doesn;t have collar like the ROA does here I always thought that the collared version in the ROA helped.

Hey GG,

I don't know how that could help. Ya still got one surface running against another one. But just to set the record straight " I'm not the shapest knife in the drawer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey GG,

I don't know how that could help. Ya still got one surface running against another one. But just to set the record straight " I'm not the shapest knife in the drawer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

..neither am I :D

GG

Guest Hardly Dangerous Updated

Pretty interesting videos but would this conversion (without rammer, lever, etc.) be legal to shoot int the traditional cap and ball categories in SASS?

Pretty interesting videos but would this conversion (without rammer, lever, etc.) be legal to shoot int the traditional cap and ball categories in SASS?

Traditional cap and ball categories? There's only one C&B category -- Frontiersman. Removing the loading lever is legal.

As with all Belt Mountain products those look beautifully made. I removed the loading rams from my ROA's about ten years ago. The cylinder lock screw has also NOT been engaged in ten years. Just drop the lever and pull it forward and the cylinder pops out so I can put it in a loading stand. The base pin is also captive with the factory set-up so it can't fall in the dirt.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1040978.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1040979.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1040980.jpg

Guess ya didn't want to read post #2

The extended cylinder pin/face is like the old Schofields. That projection takes the opening of the cylinder and pin forward of the barrel face. It makes it much more difficult for the powder or crude to get into the cylinder and pin. Ask anyone who owns reproduction Schofields. They eliminated that cylinder protrusion and that made the pistol almost impossible to shoot black powder in. The BP frame colts have that same protrusion on the cylinder.

Ike

I just thought of something. The video shows him taking out and putting back in a cap & ball cylinder. If your using pre-charged cylinders the modification he uses might come in handy between stages. But wasn't it decided that a cap and ball cylinder can't be capped and used on a reload or something. Once a cylinder is capped in or out of the gun it is considered a loaded gun!!!??:?

Also I don't think Ruger sells extra cylinders for the ROA. I know many Remmie shooters load enough cylinders to get themselves through 6 stages. Seems expensive but some do it.

On both my Remmies and my ROA's I made sure the cylinder pin was smooth, cylinder gap was good, and never use oil to lube the cylinder pin. Ballistol or bore butter seem to be the trick.

Ike

4. ...

A complete reload for percussion revolver shooters is handled by staging a loaded, uncapped revolver down range or switching uncapped cylinders and capping on the clock.

SHB p.21

29. All loading and unloading shall be conducted only in the designated areas.

NOTE: Percussion revolver shooters must exercise care to ensure they maintain safe muzzle direction during loading and have fired or cleared all capped chambers prior to leaving the unloading area. It is not permissible to seat percussion caps on a revolver’s nipple using the gun’s hammer. Percussion revolvers may only be capped at the loading area or on the firing line.

SHB p.23

Archived