SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Bead Centering device

Come On Christmas

Shameless:

when I had some of my '97 barrels cut, I left the beads off. My unofficial opinion is that once you properly learn to position the SG correct on your body (cheek), you won't even need that front bead.

If your using a '97, try it a few times before spending the $$ on some device you might not need.

Best regards

..........Widder

Here's how I do it. Probably not the best way, but it beats eyeballing it. ;)

1. Remove old bead.

2. Tie a loop in a piece of string or fishing line, and place loop over hammer (or something else that is centered on the receiver end.

3. Run the string through the hole where the old bead was, pull tight, and mark the centerline in the location where the new bead will be installed.

If you have already cut the barrel, this obviously will not work.

Level the drill press table. Plumb the shotgun's receiver in the table's vise and level the barrel (along length). Drill hole at highest point of barrel diameter, tap it, remove any shank of bead that sticks into the barrel.

Good luck, GJ

PS. -

Use a center finder (one with a 90 degree "square" with another blade at 45 degrees between). Place small level on the center blade. Rotate around end of barrel until center blade is vertical. Mark barrel there - you've found the high spot.

Bead, Bead, don't need no stinking bead! Your supposed to point not aim a shotgun anyhoo, Verdad?

Si, mucho gusto!!

Two of my CAS shotguns do not have beads. I don't miss 'em (beads OR targets :lol: )

If ya take time to look at a bead, ya are shootin too slow.

... and one is aiming the shotgun not pointing it. The only shotguns that are aimed is one with a scope on it or a slug gun

Place shotgun in vise or other retaining devise and make sure it's vertically level. Place small metal level on barrel where bead is to be placed. Center bubble, then make SMALL scratch with level. Install bead on scratch mark.

For the purist in me, it's nice to put a bead back on. .175" diameter.

There is no easy way to do it on a 97. My best method for those who have some time is to use a center punch at the approximate place you think the sight should go, use a little grease on a bb or ball bearing and insert into the divot you made with the punch. Sight the gun. Adjust punch position as necessary until you have it right. If it is close, just deform your original punch hole slightly in the proper direction.

Use a drill press and have someone hold the barrel for you. If you must use a hand drill, have someone on the side to make sure the drill is perpendicular.

After tapping and inserting the sight, check sight alignment. It may be slightly off. The best thing to do is use a brass punch and a small hammer to tap the sight over to the correct alignment. I always put blue loctite on the threads before inserting into barrel because once it is in place you don't want to move it again.

When loctite is dry, use a Dremel with a drum sanding bit to abrade the sight post inside the barrel. Finish up with scotchbrite on a stick in a handrill to polish the barrel under the sight.

Note: Insert paper towel 6" into barrel first to keep all the debris out of most of the barrel. Don't forget to remove the towel when finished (almost earned a T-shirt on that one!)

Archived