SASS Wire Forum

wrong full arrest

rawhide teddy01

I am kentucky wrangler I am one oldest wendor in sass I coming from norEaster and stoped by new york stste tropper for lane signal chancge . i was trasnporting in my hand guns in lock bok container and he ask me i told him and he retived the guns and arrset me .I live 2200 miles away in san antoino and have to show in court october 3 5.30PM I don.t know how to figth this and i can't even hire a lawer due to low income ANY BODY CAN HELP IN THIS MATTER I BE GREATFULL WHO EVER DOES THANK YOU AN ADVENCE

kENTUCKY WRAGLER

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, contact the NRA.

And folks ~ NEVER ANSWER QUESTIONS DURING A TRAFFIC STOP. (The ONLY exception is if you are a CCW holder and your state requires you to divulge that info.) NEVER GIVE PERMISSION FOR A SEARCH OF YOUR VEHICLE.

This is what happens.

You have other Constitutional rights besides the 2nd Amendment. Know them and use them. It is illegal for an LEO to use your refusal to answer questions as a basis for a search.

Buena suerte,

eGG

From the above NRA site,

Special Advisory for New York and New Jersey Airports: Despite federal law that protects travelers, authorities at JFK, La Guardia, Newark and Albany airports have been known to enforce state and local firearms laws against airline travelers who are merely passing through the jurisdiction. In some cases, even persons traveling in full compliance with federal law have been arrested or threatened with arrest. As noted above in the section entitled Federal Law on the Transportation of Firearms, FOPAs protections have been substantially narrowed by court decisions, and persons traveling with firearms may want to avoid New York and New Jersey or make arrangements to ship their firearms to their destination, rather than bringing them through these jurisdictions.

TROLL ALERT.

DON'T BITE ON THIS ONE!

It is his first post.

The grammer is of someone that is illiterate.

No SASS number.

TROLL ALERT.

I'm not so sure, If you run the SASS number he has listed it comes back to the alias given, "Rawhide Teddy", who joined on 10-19-1999.

Sounds like a non-computer user looking for advice to me.

As for the OP, follow the advise already given, Call the NRA immediately. They love to help with these "local" violation of peoples rights.

JEL

I'm not so sure, If you run the SASS number he has listed it comes back to the alias given, "Rawhide Teddy", who joined on 10-19-1999.

Sounds like a non-computer user looking for advice to me.

As for the OP, follow the advise already given, Call the NRA immediately. They love to help with these "local" violation of peoples rights.

JEL

Computer use doesn't normally affect grammar.

Whatever, I just checked, and the NYS gun-transit laws don't seem any big deal: basicaly, the guns and ammo have to be where the driver and passengers can't get at them, and/or locked up.

Which is to say, we've only heard one side of the story. The first thing I'd like to know, is, what gave the cop probable cause that allowed him to find the weapons? Then, how were they stored? Assuming this is a legitimate post, I suspect that the OP may have gotten belligrerent somewhere along the line. It went from a minor traffic stop to a search to a confiscation and court appearance.

TROLL ALERT.

DON'T BITE ON THIS ONE!

It is his first post.

The grammer is of someone that is illiterate.

No SASS number.

TROLL ALERT.

Wrong S.S.!!

The guy is legit. I'm familiar with the story and the gentleman in question. He IS a long time S.A.S.S. vendor and member. If I'm not mistaken he is originally from Turkey and I know he is a leather maker and engraver.

I think you owe the man an apology!

Don't know, did notice arrest spelled correctly for the post title, then in the story spelled "arrset". But, if a true story---Get a Lawyer!

You need to use the contact numbers you were provided and get hold of the public Defender's office in New York. Unfortunately you will most probably have to show up in court in New York unless thew charges are dropped. As stated, if you are an NRA member they may be able to assist.

NOPE!!!

I stand by my statement.

This is a TROLL!

No SASS number.

First post.

Joined today.

The poster is illiterate.

Alias does not match user name.

Very vague description of the seizure and no reason given for it.

I am NOT saying that Kentucky Wrangler is not a SASS member and standup guy. Rather I would suspect someone is hijacking his name and making up a phoney post. Heck I have had my bank account hacked twice this year.

Since he is a friend of yours please contact him and comfirm this is his post. If so I will publically withdraw my accusation.

Then that would make you WRONG for the second time!

I am the Match Director for the New England Regional and the this situation is real. He was a vendor at our event in late July. English is a second language for him. While traveling home through New York State he was stopped for not signaling while making a lane change. One thing led to another and he was arrested and his guns confiscated. He contacted me personnaly and I made several recommendations and gave him additional contacts that I thought could provide assistance.

His plea for assistance here is further proof that his communication difficulties are making his situation worse. I believe a terribly mis-informed Officer has created a living hell for this gentleman.

If anyone can provide genuine assistance I'm sure he would be eternally grateful.

Thanks Capt.!!

Ol' Seldom has been known to slip up now 'n' then, just like the rest of us! :rolleyes::D

Seldom, sent ya' a PM explainin' the situation.

Folks! This can, and unfortunately DOES happen, and more often than you might think! It stands as a warning as well as a plea for assistance. :o

Thanks Capt.!!

Ol' Seldom has been known to slip up now 'n' then, just like the rest of us! :rolleyes::D

Seldom, sent ya' a PM explainin' the situation.

Folks! This can, and unfortunately DOES happen, and more often than you might think! It stands as a warning as well as a plea for assistance. :o

+ 1, The fellow who this happened to is for real and Capt. Morgans right on the money about it. Adios Sgt. Jake

As I promised based on the information I have recieved I am withdrawing my accusation and apologizing for any embarassment and damage that I may have occurred to Kentucky Wranglers reputation.

Anybody got any tobasco sauce while I am eating my foot.

Ugh!!! I have many many thoughts not appropriate to express here concerning states like NY. Nuf said.

Kentucky Wrangler, I sincerely hope you get everything worked out without too much more stress.

Contact NRA and join if you haven't already....could be the best value with regards to lawyers out there.

Thank you Monco due to high stress I had partial stroke on my left side barely recovering started engrave again. Thank you who ever reach out for this .

Also I like to add be aware and avoid New York state. I was transporting in lock container in the truck bed with no ammo.

Still got arrested

What is the actual charge?

And where were you when you were arrested. Mile marker/town etc if possible.

And to those that are questioning his joined date .... remember that it is the joined the WIRE not SASS date.

Finally, why can't we be less judgemental.

If you know anything about the balogna in new york you know what he typed is most likely true.

Besides the NRA, you might try contacting some NY rifle and pistol associations. I'm sure they are familiar with all the regulations. Best of luck to you, I'm sorry you got your rights trampled on....

And to those that are questioning his joined date .... remember that it is the joined the WIRE not SASS date.

Finally, why can't we be less judgemental.

If you know anything about the balogna in new york you know what he typed is most likely true.

Hacker, I'm very careful with my computer, never opening various phishing scams, supposed emails from friends with inappropriate messages, etc. There are just too many trolls and scammers out there looking to harm your computer for no other reason than meaness.

When I see a guy named Kentucky Wrangler signing on to the Wire using a legitimate name, but then adding 01 to the end of the name Rawhide Teddy, my radar goes up. I wonder why he didn't sign on using his own name, then I wonder why he is using a version of a real name Rawhide Teddy. It is only appropriate and wise to be wary of such things.

He may be legitimate, and if so, I hope he gets the help he needs. I put nothing past states like NY, MA, NJ, IL, CA pulling a stunt like this. The guy has a good basis for wrongful arrest if the story is as stated, and I hope he gets a pocket full of cash.

Best,

Okie

He pulled me over on I 84 going west 20—30,ile from border of Pennsylvania and he ask me I guns I told in lock container he got them and I told I am transporting them . He did not care or did not know. I was doing it right way. Have to go back and I don’t know what expect out of this kentucky wrangler 7647

As I promised based on the information I have recieved I am withdrawing my accusation and apologizing for any embarassment and damage that I may have occurred to Kentucky Wranglers reputation.

Anybody got any tobasco sauce while I am eating my foot.

Good man!

Skip the Tobasco. But do wash that foot first!! :lol:

Yes, contact the NRA.

And folks ~ NEVER ANSWER QUESTIONS DURING A TRAFFIC STOP. (The ONLY exception is if you are a CCW holder and your state requires you to divulge that info.) NEVER GIVE PERMISSION FOR A SEARCH OF YOUR VEHICLE.

This is what happens.

You have other Constitutional rights besides the 2nd Amendment. Know them and use them. It is illegal for an LEO to use your refusal to answer questions as a basis for a search.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Which is to say, we've only heard one side of the story. The first thing I'd like to know, is, what gave the cop probable cause that allowed him to find the weapons?

EGG and Badlands I have had this discussion (argument) about probable cause on here with a few people. According to some, LEOs can basically do what ever they want when it comes to searching your vehicle and if you refuse to allow LEOs to search your vehicle, LEOs then have probable cause to search because you refused. If the OP talks the same way he writes I can see a LEO taking advantage of the situation to search and arrest the OP

EGG and Badlands I have had this discussion (argument) about probable cause on here with a few people. According to some, LEOs can basically do what ever they want when it comes to searching your vehicle and if you refuse to allow LEOs to search your vehicle, LEOs then have probable cause to search because you refused. If the OP talks the same way he writes I can see a LEO taking advantage of the situation to search and arrest the OP

state trooper ask me if i had guns I said yes i do have the in container he did not know what do he arrest me anyways kentucky wrangler

These are excerpts of the NY non-resident firearm law which allows you to legally bring your handguns to or through New York.

Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported.

(A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.)

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

These are excerpts of the NY non-resident firearm law which allows you to legally bring your handguns to or through New York.

Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported.

(A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.)

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

I was transporting in same manner as you said here state trooper was youg guy i guess he did not read this

KW, did the young trooper ask for match information, or any other documentation you might have had proving your purpose?

Are SASS sanctioned matches "NRA approved".....whatever that means? And what is a pistol license? Is that a concealed carry permit?

Either way, the entire experience you've been subjected to is upsetting to me and it sure makes me appreciate my home state that much more as well as the fact that we still have separate states at all these days.

It's just a damn shame that such a beautiful state has such @$#! laws that apparently aren't even properly taught to the enforcers. Looks more and more like I may never see the state of New York. :angry:

KW, did the young trooper ask for match information, or any other documentation you might have had proving your purpose?

Are SASS sanctioned matches "NRA approved".....whatever that means? And what is a pistol license? Is that a concealed carry permit?

Either way, the entire experience you've been subjected to is upsetting to me and it sure makes me appreciate my home state that much more as well as the fact that we still have separate states at all these days.

It's just a damn shame that such a beautiful state has such @$#! laws that apparently aren't even properly taught to the enforcers. Looks more and more like I may never see the state of New York. :angry:

It is my understanding from a friend in LE from NY that the 'pistol licence' NY requires is a licence to own a pistol, not a concealed carry permit. Down here in NC, we do not have 'pistol licences' in the sense that NY means, so I don't know what we're supposed to bring with us through NY. (And neither does my NY LE friend, there is apparently no provision that covers someone from a state that doesn't issue pistol licences.)

It is my understanding from a friend in LE from NY that the 'pistol licence' NY requires is a licence to own a pistol, not a concealed carry permit. Down here in NC, we do not have 'pistol licences' in the sense that NY means, so I don't know what we're supposed to bring with us through NY. (And neither does my NY LE friend, there is apparently no provision that covers someone from a state that doesn't issue pistol licences.)

That would be a problem for us Vermonters also as the state Constitution is are permit for ownership and to carry open or concealed our choice. Adios Sgt. Jake

I'm sorry but that is simply not correct.

Refusal to consent to a search does NOT constitute probable cause.

Here's some case law

United States v. Alexander, 835 F.2d 1406, 1409 (11th Cir. 1988); People v. Miller, 496 P.2d

1228, 1232 (Cal. 1972); State v. Ripperger, 514 N.W.2d 740, 746 (Iowa Ct. App. 1994); State v.

Zelinske, 779 P.2d 971, 975 (N.M. Ct. App. 1989); State v. Gressel, 554 P.2d 1014, 1016 (Or. 1976)

(en banc); State v. Gilmour, 901 P.2d 894, 896 (Or. Ct. App. 1995); State v. Brown, 825 P.2d 282,

284–85 (Or. Ct. App. 1992); State v. Butler, 641 P.2d 655, 657 n.1 (Or. Ct. App. 1982); Whitehead v.

State, 698 A.2d 1115, 1118–19 (Md. Ct. Spec. App. 1997); State v. Gibbs, 31 N.W.2d 143, 147 (Wis.

1948).

Now, that being said, it doesn't mean that an overzealous young officer won't go ahead and conduct the search. But it does mean that what he finds will be inadmissible.

Archived