SASS Wire Forum

OOOPS!

Subdeacon Joe

That "SPLASH" you heard was a few careers falling into the head.

A U.S. guided missile destroyer was involved in a collision with an oil tanker near the Strait of Hormuz, the U.S. Navy announced.

No one on either the USS Porter or the Japanese-owned M/V Otowasan was injured, the Navy said.

The 505-foot Porter is operating under its own power near the strait, a strategically important chokepoint for oil shipments from the Persian Gulf.

I don't recall the exact sea rule for rights of way, but if the Porter was struck on the starboard side, doesn't that indicate that she violated the tankers Row? Or do men-of-war take RoW over other vessels?

Must have been at the chokiest part of the choke point.

Adios Capn' :rolleyes:

Unless she was maintaining course and the tanker turned into her...

But Dang! How do you miss seein' a TANKER??? I've seen a few up right close while sailing ~ they're kinda hard to miss. :huh:

Unless she was maintaining course and the tanker turned into her...

But Dang! How do you miss seein' a TANKER??? I've seen a few up right close while sailing ~ they're kinda hard to miss. :huh:

Thus, the collision! :lol::lol::lol:

I was ridin' da carrier USS Miday when she had her collision wif da freighter Catsus. The frighter was running across her front end all day an night an got too close one time.

2 sailors whar killed dat day and da captin order to pre-pair fer abandon ship.

SO der I was, on da fight deck and found a feller what worked in da chart room.

I ask him whar da nearest land was and he said about a mile.

I said to him, "Aw, I can swim dat, no problem !"

He looked at me, kinda funny like an said, "Ya don't understand, one mile straight down !" lol

Archived