SASS Wire Forum

If they award Olympic medals for Stupid.....

Widder, SASS #59054

I owned a great pair of Ruger .32 mags before I joined SASS and started shootin Cowboy.

I loved em. They felt right. They were stainless (just like I prefer) with the short 'Vaquerito' grips of the fake white ivory. I really liked em. AND, I shot them very well.

I sold them to buy some .45's because I thought I needed the bigger guns to compete.

STUPID ME!

..........Widder

I can do better than that. In the early 80's, I bought a real Colt M-16 for about $650. Paid the $200 tax stamp and played with it for a year or so. I got married, had a kid and sold the M-16 for $400 to a Class III dealer. If I had only known. :wacko:

I also passed up on a cheap piece of land that would have set me for life, but that's for another day.

Had an SKB 200, 20 gauge, that my dad gave to me for my 18th birthday. He even had my initials engraved on the little brass nameplate on the bottom of the stock. Because of the way my ex-wife spent money, I pawned it for a measly $250 back in 1987. :angry: Been trying to find it the last 10+ years to try and buy it back, with no success. :(

In the mid 70's I traded a Ruger Bearcat for a CB base radio :(

In the 90's I sold a Pre-70 National Match Colt 1911 for $650 :(

Some people never learn, but I'm trying, 2 months ago I bought a Ithaca SKB 100 for $350 :D:D

Randy

I don't remember who told me this, but, I was told .....

•  
  • Never sell a gun you like,
  • Never sell a reliable gun, and,
  • Never sell a gun that is particularly accurate for its kind.

I started living by this after I regrettably sold a particularly nice 44mag Ruger Vaquero with a very low serial number.

Widder, I started out just the opposite; I thought .45s were the guns that won the West. I now shoot .32 H&R Mags. mostly on account of really bad arthritis; still have three sets of .45s for when I shoot classic cowboy though.

I don't remember who told me this, but, I was told .....

* Don't buy a collectible firearm that has been reblued

WRONG!

I passed up a 1st Generation Colt Artillery 45 Colt SAA with inspector's cartouche plus holster & belt that was factory reblued... for $500

I can do better than that. In the early 80's, I bought a real Colt M-16 for about $650. Paid the $200 tax stamp and played with it for a year or so. I got married, had a kid and sold the M-16 for $400 to a Class III dealer. If I had only known. :wacko:

I also passed up on a cheap piece of land that would have set me for life, but that's for another day.

Well let's see....I bought me a real Colt M-16 for $400 the year Badlands Bob got married and bought me a piece of swamp a few years later..that fine feller, the banker from Beverly Hills; Milburn Drysdale, financed it for me at a real low interest rate.

(now if'n you'll buy dat I got sum oceanfront propity in Phoenix I'll make ya a real good deal on. Of course being a Kajun I'ma gonna keep da mineral rights :) )

My dad liberated a Mauser HSc 7.65 semi auto pistol from Germany in WWII, with Nazi Police markings. I sold it in the 1980's when I needed money to pay bills.

Wish I had sold something else.

I bought a mint Python in 1999 for $450. I had 'too many' .357s and traded in for a P-97, P-95 and $200 of ammo. The gun was made in 1982 the last year that the original guys who fitted Pythons worked at the Colt factory. Those guns were the last of their kind. I saw a similar Python at a gunshow Saturday in 95% condition for $2200.

:ph34r: Well, if not GOLD, then I least I should get on the podium for silver or bronze...

In 1956, with my dad's aid, I got a DCM Smith Corona 1903-A3 .30-06, absolutely brand new with the sorta green-grey parkerizing and dated (everything matching #'s, of course) as my birth month and year---10/'43. It was my pride and joy. Saturdays would find me and my friends out at the gravel pits 'sinking' bottles from the rim of the pit. Overkill?

Sure....but surplus ammo was about 0.07/round and it was FUN.

A mere 8 years later, I traded the rifle in at a pawn shop for a set of wedding/engagement rings..... thought I made out really well 'cause the rifle only cost me $15.00, and the ring set was $50.

Now when I see what such rifles are going for I point it out to my wife (same one, with the same rings :wub: ) and chuckle a bit, and tell her I'm not sure which investment was better.... :lol:

oh

the question

maybe I was stupid for

(fully) sponsering so many

new to the sport

knowing full well,

that they probably will not continue with the sport,

when they lose their sponser

cuz I cudd------is my answer :lol: :lol: :lol:

the experience and great memories

all of them hadd

is price-less

maybe that werent such a badd thing

Definitely qualify. Had an original '73 carbine made in 1876 (in really good shape) that I paid $650 for. Sold it to my brother, so it didn't go far but I still have seller's remorse. :)

Guest diablo slim shootist

Sorry the list is too long to print :blush::P

This last week I sold 3 guns to buy 2more..But that's another story :lol:

If I got an Olympic Gold Medal for all the stupid things I've done, I'd need to build a trophy room just to house them all!

Never dwell on the past. I have had all kinds of guns I sold back in the 60's, 70's or 80's that would be worth a lot more now. But, that was then and now is now. As long as you were happy with the deal when it took place, why sweat it? Sounds like your deal wouldn't even qualify for a bronze.

I bought an 1895 in 30-06 (Miroku made) when they first came back out for $1000....sold it two years later for $500 cause I needed to pay back rent. Dumb move....sure I could have been able to borrow from someone. I really liked that rifle!

Eh, cocka poodle happens I reckon.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

As with most of us I have some stupid sales "woulda-coulda-shoulda" stories. I think my dumbest was having the follower in the magazine tube in my Marlin rifle jam at an annual match! Guys, don't forget to clean that mag tube every once in awhile; especially if you're shooting light loads that don't always expand the cartridge case. Soot will get everywhere!

Archived