SASS Wire Forum

double cockers

Guest diablo slim shootist

Only been shootin for about six years....far less than most, but I've only seen one GF intentionally try to shoot simultaneously and he received a warning from the TO. He didn't do it again. I've been playing with GF most of those six years and as slow as I shoot spotters sometimes get confused as to what I did. I agree that a GF could simplify things a bit if he or she would announce their intentions if they were going to change leads or do something a bit out of the ordinary so at least the TO and spotters are aware.....

I also think this is a problem with a relatively small group of individuals. I was a berm marshall this past weekend at a two day and there were a lot of GF and there was never a problem....Max, Lassiter, Widder, Doc Eells and other speed demons shot with no issues along with the rest of the GF's.

Just my too scents

KK

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... I agree that a GF could simplify things a bit if he or she would announce their intentions if they were going to change leads or do something a bit out of the ordinary so at least the TO and spotters are aware.....

Hi Karl,

If a spotter is confused by lead changes they are not doing their job of watching the targets.

Folks when you spot for GFs, DO NOT WATCH THE GUNS, WATCH THE TARGETS like you do for other shooting styles.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Only been shootin for about six years....far less than most, but I've only seen one GF intentionally try to shoot simultaneously and he received a warning from the TO. He didn't do it again. I've been playing with GF most of those six years and as slow as I shoot spotters sometimes get confused as to what I did. I agree that a GF could simplify things a bit if he or she would announce their intentions if they were going to change leads or do something a bit out of the ordinary so at least the TO and spotters are aware.....

I also think this is a problem with a relatively small group of individuals. I was a berm marshall this past weekend at a two day and there were a lot of GF and there was never a problem....Max, Lassiter, Widder, Doc Eells and other speed demons shot with no issues along with the rest of the GF's.

Just my too scents

KK

:lol: I don't need to announce my intentions - why?? - cause I shoot too darn slow!! :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I'll say it again. Why should the fast gunfighter have to "announce his intentions"? Do you have the fast two handed shooters announce there intentions on strings with no order given? What about the guy who smokes his rifle, or shoots a 32-20 which is hard to see hits. Count for every shooter the same way, and if you feel you can't watch the targets and make objective calls then ask someone else to count.

I was reprimanded by a local fellow several years ago, who happens to be quite fast at GF. Each time he would come to the line I would tell the spotters "Pay close attention to this guy." He asked me one day why I said that each time, and pointed out that I didn't make that statement for any other shooters. He said I was singling him out, putting the spotters on heightened awareness because he was a faster shooter. And guess what, he was right.

Every shooter deserves and should get your undivided attention when you spot. This is how you see edge hits, how you can call misses with confidence. To do less is a disservice to the shooter and the rest of the participants in the match.

Telling the RO and/or spotters your intentions is just a suggestion to the shooter. If the spotters know where to look, you might get a better outcome. To the rest of your post - right on. Due to the longer roar of the BP report, FCGF makes it even a tougher challenge, especially if the targets are close.

When they say "Pay attention to this guy" and the guy is me, it's because they don't want to miss out on a chance for a good laugh!

CR

I'll say it again. Why should the fast gunfighter have to "announce his intentions"? Do you have the fast two handed shooters announce there intentions on strings with no order given?

I announce my intentions, if I am going to do it differently (shooting left handed is sometimes a reason to engage from a different side/direction) than the rest of the possee.

Hi Karl,

If a spotter is confused by lead changes they are not doing their job of watching the targets.

Folks when you spot for GFs, DO NOT WATCH THE GUNS, WATCH THE TARGETS like you do for other shooting styles.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I agree with you AM....but a lot of people get a wrapped up with watching the shooter....just my observation.

I'll say it again. Why should the fast gunfighter have to "announce his intentions"? Do you have the fast two handed shooters announce there intentions on strings with no order given? What about the guy who smokes his rifle, or shoots a 32-20 which is hard to see hits. Count for every shooter the same way, and if you feel you can't watch the targets and make objective calls then ask someone else to count.

I was reprimanded by a local fellow several years ago, who happens to be quite fast at GF. Each time he would come to the line I would tell the spotters "Pay close attention to this guy." He asked me one day why I said that each time, and pointed out that I didn't make that statement for any other shooters. He said I was singling him out, putting the spotters on heightened awareness because he was a faster shooter. And guess what, he was right.

Every shooter deserves and should get your undivided attention when you spot. This is how you see edge hits, how you can call misses with confidence. To do less is a disservice to the shooter and the rest of the participants in the match.

Well, Goody I think you know that answer.....Shooting one pistol at a time is pretty straight forward while GF's can shoot the scenario correctly while possibly confusing the spotters. If a GF doesnt' want to do it....fine, I'm simply trying to help spotters out. If you don't want to or others don't want to....I don't have a problem. There are times, for instance when you have multiple targets and it states to put two shots on each without double taps, or some variation on a round count and you know as well as I that a GF can get very creative.....as for me, if I'm doing something outside the box I'm gonna tell someone so I don't get a P. I don't double cock, nor do I try to shoot simultaneously....

KK

The SUGGESTED "declaration of intent" ref'd in post #157 pertains to the various GUNFIGHTER options within the rules of the category with which to engage the revolver targets on a stage.

e.g.

1) Gunfighter-style w/both guns out (alternating shots and/or switching leads is not really relevant).

2) Double-Duelist-style (one revolver at a time...whether both are "out of leather" at the same time or not; remember that a GF may shoot an entire match "DD-style" if s/he so chooses.)

3) Various methods of engaging a split-revolver sequence (e.g. shoot D/D or shoot 3-2/stage revolvers...shoot 2-3/holster)

4) Various options of engaging a stage with movement within the revolver sequence.

REF: SHB p.13 / RO2 p.5

The reason for the RECOMMENDATION is to minimize confusion during the course of fire for the T/O and spotters; which might lead to MIScoaching and/or interference.

I would recommend the same "notification" for BW competitors as well, seeing that they have even more options regarding handling of the revolvers during a stage.

No one should have "issues" with the T/O attempting to make certain that the spotters are aware of a shooter who may require special attention during the run (for whatever reason) in order to minimize scoring errors and/or reshoot situations.

A shooter in ANY category with any degree of proficiency should not have to rely on benefit of doubt in order to get a fair run, either.

IMO

I'll say it again. Why should the fast gunfighter have to "announce his intentions"? Do you have the fast two handed shooters announce there intentions on strings with no order given?

perhaps, GunFighters that want to stand on the side of integrity / less argueing / etc

may choose to "announce their intentions"

knowing full well that they

can >>easily create<< >>doubt<< EASIER as a GF

perhaps those GunFighers, just want to

1>compete to the best of their ability,

2>have fun with the posse, (entertainment)

3>and move on the next stage

with out all of the

hooooop----la!!!!!. that can often happens

with shooters disputing what the counters say they saw

there have been several, here on the wire

that say they have not seen anyone abuse the when in dobut rule (on purpose)

and that is fine

what that being typed

i have never seen a robbery

but I feel pretty sure that they

really do happen

sure

apples to concrete

but it is the same thing only

different

mileage with always vary

depending how your computer under the dash is programed

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So the standing SASS gunfighter rules are understood and just fine as written. It's the gunfighter not going by the rules that is the problem. I haven't shot at a lot of major matches but the shooters I've shot with, call 'P's on themselves if the spotters or RO don't see it.

So the standing SASS gunfighter rules are understood and just fine as written. It's the gunfighter not going by the rules that is the problem. I haven't shot at a lot of major matches but the shooters I've shot with, call 'P's on themselves if the spotters or RO don't see it.

Hi Stepnmud,

I wish all of the shooters in our beloved sport were like that. Alas, I've seen and heard different.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived