SASS Wire Forum

Longbows and recurve bows

Come On Christmas

Wanna shoot in the backyard and not break the bank. I won't be hunting with it.

Where is that guy that sells bows at Scarborough Faire?

Shameless

If your not hunting and just doing it for fun I'd get a recurve,

Or even a Long Bow.

Without all the pulleys and laser sights on the compounds,

You can just enjoy the hand/eye/mind coordination of archery ;)

If your not hunting and just doing it for fun I'd get a recurve,

Or even a Long Bow.

Without all the pulleys and laser sights on the compounds,

You can just enjoy the hand/eye/mind coordination of archery ;)

I agree. I have a longbow, my daughter has a recurve. I'm not very good with mine, but that doesn't stop me from going out and shooting it. You can get a takedown that has adjustable limb weights as well.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

In the fall... after a lot of farmland has been finally bush-hogged... we go horseback huntin' with bows. Some of us carry longbows... some recurves... and a couple of serious hunters with us carry compounds. I have a compound... but have not used it for years... can not use a compound because I do not want my hair to get caught up in the cams. That could prove to be painful.

We mainly shoot rabbits sittin'.... with judo-heads on our arrows. It is great fun and sport... sittin' up horseback high and shootin' down... seein' as how we eat all that we kill. Talk 'bout sportin' chances... hittin' a rabbit 'fore he bolts off... with an arrow... is purely sport-like.

Ever now and then... we go huntin' quail with flu-flu's. But sadly, I got to admit... ain't NEVER been good enuff to kill a launchin' bird-missle. Never. It's fun... but the only fella with us that consistently kills quail with his sticks is the Ogallala, Indian Dave. That sorry friend of mine is uncanny with a bow. The dam Irish pards... Jimmy and Slick McDonald... ain't never kilt none neither. But... it is what it is... fun.

PSE has a fine, but inexpensive longbow called a Legacy... 'bout $200. Another called a Sequoia (sp?)... 'bout $250 or lil less. For recurves... I shoot a PSE Talon... for longbows... I shoot a Martin Bamboo Viper. They are high-end... but I use 'em often.

Bows are fun... and don't spook horses none... nothin' like long guns.

ts

Shamless; Back in the 60's I was an archery instructor. We made our own bows, arrows and bowstrings. We only shot a max of 50 yards. As you know with a longbow or a recure, they are drawn and almost immediately released as there is not "let off". I switched from recurve to compound a few years ago and I would say, depending on your age and condition you might find an inexpensive compound will be a lot more fun than a recurve or a longbow.

At 66, I couldn't begin to shoot a 50# longbow, but I could shoot a compound with a 75# rating as the let off might be 65%....just sayin, find an older model and you will probably enjoy it more. The newer the bow you will find the bigger the "let off".

Just my too scents.

KK

Try Mike Horton at The Nocking Point. I am still away from home and do not have his info handy. He's out in Kansas. I order all my traditional arrow building and archery supplies from him. He deals in used bows, has good prices and is a super guy to do business with. Archery is my first love and I own more recurves, longbows, and self bows than I can possibly use, but love them all. The whole family shoots here at home, we don't compete anymore, just family time recreation at its best. I hunt with my favorites, either a vintage 1973 BEAR Grizzly, 55# @ 28", or a custom longbow named "Carpe Diem" which is 64#@ 28".If you don't find his info on-line, give a PM and some time to get back home and I'll get the phone number to you.

Bodine

Where's Brother King when you want him.

He was at one time the owner of Bighorn Bows. Some truly slobbering bows.

When I had reached the point where my obsession with heavy weight longbows destroyed my bow shoulder, I bought a compound from my hunting buddy archery dealer. Made one hunting trip with it and decided that if that was what I had to carry to bow hunt I would simply not bow hunt. Still have the bows but have not hunted with them for about 12 years.

About fifteen years ago I got the archery fever and ended up with a PSE compound that was extreemly easy to hit 3" targets at 30 yards, two custom-made recurves that could hit a 6" target at 30 yards and two homemade cedar bows that could keep up with the custom recurves even at 72# pull. I shot in several 3D competitions and hunted deer and rabbit for a couple of years. I still enjoy pulling out my homemade bow occasionally.

An entry-level 45# Martin with wooden arrows for 'plinking' and aluminum arrows for more serious hunting work is an easy answer. Check out the shot made in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics to light th cauldron with a $150 Martin bow. I understand that the archer missed only three times out of over 900 practice shots.

Try Mike Horton at The Nocking Point. I am still away from home and do not have his info handy. He's out in Kansas. I order all my traditional arrow building and archery supplies from him. He deals in used bows, has good prices and is a super guy to do business with. Archery is my first love and I own more recurves, longbows, and self bows than I can possibly use, but love them all. The whole family shoots here at home, we don't compete anymore, just family time recreation at its best. I hunt with my favorites, either a vintage 1973 BEAR Grizzly, 55# @ 28", or a custom longbow named "Carpe Diem" which is 64#@ 28".If you don't find his info on-line, give a PM and some time to get back home and I'll get the phone number to you.

Bodine

Cool, Bodine...!

I gave my son my old '74 vintage Bear Grizzly, 50##! (Suggestions on where to get a supply of bowstrings?)

Back when she was new my buddies and I only shot cedar arrows... so miss the "pencil sharpener" fragrance when walking into an archery shop in the old days. Just last week while rummaging about I came upon my ancient old Bitzenburger.

Okay... that does it - I'm inspired! Gonna order up some supplies - Cedar shafts and barred feathers, of course! - and introduce the Kid to the fletcher's art... an archer's version of Black Powder! :D

Cool, Bodine...!

I gave my son my old '74 vintage Bear Grizzly, 50##! (Suggestions on where to get a supply of bowstrings?)

Back when she was new my buddies and I only shot cedar arrows... so miss the "pencil sharpener" fragrance when walking into an archery shop in the old days. Just last week while rummaging about I came upon my ancient old Bitzenburger.

Okay... that does it - I'm inspired! Gonna order up some supplies - Cedar shafts and barred feathers, of course! - and introduce the Kid to the fletcher's art... an archer's version of Black Powder! :D

Are you going to change your alias to FLETCHER?

Maybe Art Fletcher?

NOZ

I ain't gonna shoot steel with the bow ,

that would get EXPENCIVE breaking the arrows :unsure:

CB

We, the Bowbenders Archery Club, had a steel target with a hole in the center. We called him the Bionic Bunny. We actually charged people to shoot their $6 arrows at the Bunny. People would stand around and laugh like fools as their arrows exploded.

Paid back 1/2 the shooting fee as prize money. Made a lot of money with him.

Are you going to change your alias to FLETCHER?

Maybe Art Fletcher?

"Fletcher Christian" perhaps? :rolleyes:

"...ye will be amazed at the bounty ye shall reap."

Okay, I guess that's stretchin' a mite... :P

Didn't seem to bother the archers at Agincourt back in 1415, on St. Crispin's day. They shot up the French army wearing iron suits (the French army, that is).

With thst English longbow, the arrows probably went through those suits of armor like they were aluminum beercans! That's why the English were so formidable for so many years 'back in the day'; their archers using the longbow, the middle-ages' 'technologically advanced' weapon of mass destruction. I have read articles on how malformed the relevant joints were on the archers' skeletons found in archeological digs, from the constant practice and warfare with the gigantic bows they used.

In fact, I believe that's what made the suit of armor obsolete; the penetration capability of the longbow's arrows.

Ornery (long-time anglophile) Cuss (Have to admit, though, they are falling out of my favor FAST with their current ideas about how to run a country) (Pathetic!)

Until the advent of breach loaders the bow was a superior weapon of war. It could be shot so much faster. The problem was that you could train most anyone to shoot a muzzleloader in a few days and to shoot "By the numbers" in a few weeks. It took years to train an archer to shoot a 100+ pound longbow and have him able to hit a 3 foot circle at 100 yds. at a rate of three arrows a minuet. That's why archers were required by law to practice every Sunday after church. Once the need arose for large national armies the archers simply couldn't be trained fast enough.

The bodkin point could indeed shoot through chain mail and the plate armor of the period. However, the archers real target was the knights horse. A horse stuck with an arrow tended to dismount the knight leaving them helpless on the ground where they could be delt with by anyone with a long blade to stick through a visor. The panicked horses also tended to trample the infintry. One arrow in a horses butt could do a lot more damage than simply to skewer an armored knight.

Arrows were also used as an area weapon in the place of artillery. When you have archers but no artillery you simply turn the sky black with arrows that land among troop concintrations. It's just as effective as high explosives and far more terrifying.

Bugs

Where's Brother King when you want him.

He was at one time the owner of Bighorn Bows. Some truly slobbering bows.

When I had reached the point where my obsession with heavy weight longbows destroyed my bow shoulder, I bought a compound from my hunting buddy archery dealer. Made one hunting trip with it and decided that if that was what I had to carry to bow hunt I would simply not bow hunt. Still have the bows but have not hunted with them for about 12 years.

EBAY.... or Tradgang.com... all the recurves and longbows you can eat.

Didn't seem to bother the archers at Agincourt back in 1415, on St. Crispin's day. They shot up the French army wearing iron suits (the French army, that is).

With thst English longbow, the arrows probably went through those suits of armor like they were aluminum beercans! That's why the English were so formidable for so many years 'back in the day'; their archers using the longbow, the middle-ages' 'technologically advanced' weapon of mass destruction. I have read articles on how malformed the relevant joints were on the archers' skeletons found in archeological digs, from the constant practice and warfare with the gigantic bows they used.

In fact, I believe that's what made the suit of armor obsolete; the penetration capability of the longbow's arrows.

Ornery (long-time anglophile) Cuss (Have to admit, though, they are falling out of my favor FAST with their current ideas about how to run a country) (Pathetic!)

I've read it was the Crossbow that made suits-of-armor obsolete.

A serf could put a bolt through a Knight without years of practicing with the long bow :huh:

OK, made it back from AZ territory last night. For all your traditional archery needs get ahold of Mike Horton at The Nocking Point ,Inc. in Winchester KS @ 1-913-774-7172, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. M-Sat. Website: www.thenockingpoint.com or e-mail thenockingpoint@hughes.net

He takes his shop "on-the-road" to archery shoots, so if he's not at home he leaves his location on the answering machine and when he'll be back.

Hardpan, he sells custom bowstrings in your choice of colors available also. I have the Jo-Jan multi fletcher and buy all the stuff I need from him. I cannot say enough about the great prices and service, I've been dealing with him for years.

Shameless, I have a vintage BEAR Kodiak, 50# @ 28" that I would consider letting go reasonably priced, acquired from an auction. If interested contact me by PM.

Bodine

Archived