SASS Wire Forum

How many here use percussion shotguns?

Sixgun Symphony #62632

10 gauge Navy Arms (Pietta) for large, tough animals like turkeys

20 gauge Pedersoli for squirrels, grouse, etc.

Too much fun

--Dawg

I've only used mine in a couple of monthly shoots and that is because Trueno Del Diablo & I wrote the stages and incorporated only two shotgun rounds into the scenarios. He & I were the only ones with ML shotguns. Loading on the clock was capping the nipples. A miss was truly a miss. It was fun for a change.

Howdy!

Have a Pedersoli 10g; haven't used it for hunting, rather bought it for CAS, but haven't had a chance to, yet. One thing I'd suggest is put some lead in the stock. It's pretty light weight, and kicks a bit with a good square 10g load.

Get good gear to go with it, like a large volume powder flask, shot flask, hunting bag, various wads, etc. Figure out what you'll need to shoot it and keep it running in the field and how best to carry all that gear. Do a few 'practice runs' to get all this set up. (It's a lot more complicated than shooting modern cartridge shotguns).

I also purchased a solid brass rod to load it with; works MUCH better than that flimsy wooden one it comes with.

Howdy!

Have a Pedersoli 10g; haven't used it for hunting, rather bought it for CAS, but haven't had a chance to, yet. One thing I'd suggest is put some lead in the stock. It's pretty light weight, and kicks a bit with a good square 10g load.

Get good gear to go with it, like a large volume powder flask, shot flask, hunting bag, various wads, etc. Figure out what you'll need to shoot it and keep it running in the field and how best to carry all that gear. Do a few 'practice runs' to get all this set up. (It's a lot more complicated than shooting modern cartridge shotguns).

I also purchased a solid brass rod to load it with; works MUCH better than that flimsy wooden one it comes with.

I have shot one of those a few times, didn't find the recoil to bad, but heck, I'm a lot bigger than you! Didn't you on occasion shoot a cartridge 10 ga black powder gun at CAS shoots?

I have a 12 gauge Pietta and a 12 gauge Pedersoli I stole oft Gunbroker before they refined the categories. I put Musket Nipples on both of them. I cap em on the clock.

I am REEEEAAALLY looking forward to the all shotgun shoot at the Shortgrass Ranger range across the Red River in Oklahoma. I am gonna shoot both of them and a 410 Stoeger I bought. I got some 3" 410 Shotgun Shells loaded up with Black Powder. Both barrels are full choke. :ph34r:

Gonna be mighty mighty clouds of fiya and brimstone. I be fumigating the chiggers, ticks, and scorpions at the range. The scorpions hang out in the privy and try to pinch you on the . . .

Tommy O'Shameless

Irish Rouge

I have shot one of those a few times, didn't find the recoil to bad, but heck, I'm a lot bigger than you! Didn't you on occasion shoot a cartridge 10 ga black powder gun at CAS shoots?

Howdy Mad Dog!

Yessiree! I have a 10g SXS I call "Big Mama" and like to shoot brass shells filled with about 100grains of goex BP. It weighs around 9 lbs, so it takes up the recoil a bit better than the much lighter Pedersoli 10g.

Howdy:

12 ga Pedersoli double barrel ML. Look out squirrels - Here I come. It is a fun gun to shoot and has chokes for almost any type of hunting - doves, squirrels, pheasants.

STL Suomi

Howdy

I use an original 1850's 12gauge Double made in Belgium, for squirrels, birds and fun. A CVA trapper for turkey hunting and a very unusual singleshot made for Dixie Gunworks. The bore measures the same dia. as a 36 caliber ball, but smoothbore, loads with 25 grains of 3F blackpowder, 7/8's oz to an ounce of 6 or 7 1/2 shot, it is murder so to speak on squirrels and rabbits at a reasonable range. It looks real close to a scaled down Zouave and a fun little gun to shoot. A pard told me once "that has squirrel hunting written all over it"! An old friend of my fathers gave it to me because he said it was junk, but I found fun and treasure in it after a little love and work. And I keep it because he has passed and its a good memory.

My new BP shotgun project is a smoothbore flintlock. Got a Hawkens barrel that was shot out smooth and began working, hope to have it done real soon, squirrel season is around the corner.

Carbinecasey #4469

Just for playing around with, I have:

Belguim double 8 gauge (percussion)

Belguim percussion 6 gauge

Unk. flintlock 4 bore

I need them like I need another hole in my head, but they sure are fun!

Back in the 1960's when there weren't any reproductions I use to shoot Doves with an original 12 gauge. One day while trying to load fast and furiously the ramrod got stuck in the barrel. Being younger and dumber I shot the thing at a passing Dove and the ramrod shish kabobed him.

Howdy Mad Dog!

Yessiree! I have a 10g SXS I call "Big Mama" and like to shoot brass shells filled with about 100grains of goex BP. It weighs around 9 lbs, so it takes up the recoil a bit better than the much lighter Pedersoli 10g.

I had a chance to buy a nice Spanish made 10 ga 5 years ago and didn't, I regret not getting it. IIRC it weighed around 10 pounds.

Back in the 1960's when there weren't any reproductions I use to shoot Doves with an original 12 gauge. One day while trying to load fast and furiously the ramrod got stuck in the barrel. Being younger and dumber I shot the thing at a passing Dove and the ramrod shish kabobed him.

Well, I guess that's ONE way to find the darn things when they're down!

A friend and I went out to sight in our T/C .50 calibers one day. Some doves were flying around and it was in season, he said, "Wish I'da brought a shotgun." I said, "Ya gotta any shotgun shells in the truck?" "Yup". "Then we've got shotguns. So we put some powder in our rifles, a wad of paper towel, split the shot in a shotshell, some more paper towel and went dove hunting. He killed the first one he shot at. I feathered a couple, but never put them down. Sure was fun though.

I know that's not what you're asking, but I love to tell that story.

Archived