SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun for my lady as a wedding gift

Jgbeerman

Evening All-

So a year ago my lady took a hunting class as part of her grad school experience and she really enjoyed it, so I decided to look into getting her an O/U shotgun as a wedding present. She prefers the over under so that is a must, but other than that, shotguns are something I am not too familiar with other then my Stoeger.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am really trying to keep the budget under $500 bucks, because with the wedding my funds are pretty tapped.

I have seen some decent prices on CZU, Mossburg, Tri-Star,Adco, Lanber and USSG (although USSG appears to be Baikal importer)

The only name I know there is Mossburg, so all input is appreciated. We are getting hitched in about 5 weeks so I have about 3 weeks to figure this out!

Thanks in advance and have a good one.

This is like buying an engagement ring...get more than you think you can afford.

I'm thinking Browning Citori, a used not abused one.

It goes without saying that she needs to make the final choice; make sure it fits her and that she likes the looks of it.

Congrats, LG, you beat me to the draw!! :lol:

I know even less about over-under shotguns than you do.

What I do know, from Calico Cass's experience with CAS shotguns, is that it pays dividends to have the gun fitted to her, no matter what you get. If it doesn't fit, it will hurt, it will miss, and she won't enjoy it. Get something nice for HER, but then pay a shotgun guy to fit it to her. It is not just a matter of a person's height, but also "build." And a woman's build, as you probably have noticed, is different from a man's.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Browning, fer sure. But like said before, it MUST fit her !

Congrats fer y'all !

What is she going to shoot with it? Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays or just for hunting? The use should determine which o/u you start looking for.

Gunstock got me a (Browning) BT-99 micro for Trap. The micro has a shorter single barrel and a shorter stock. Great for me as I'm only 5'4". For Skeet/Sporting Clays you could look for a Browning XS Skeet or a Citori. Those can easily be cut to fit her and a comb cut, if needed to get her lined up right.

For hunting....that's a whole nuther ball game.... I have a Contender Carbine in 730 Waters. It's a single shot with a short stock and a short barrel - perfect for hunting from a blind! Heh...heh....heh.... My deer's rack is bigger than his deer's! :lol::lol: :lol:

Miss Cubbie

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Shotgun for my lady as a wedding gift

Beats a vacuum cleaner. Trust me.

ts

You might do well to look for a high condition used gun. I highly recommend the various grades of Beretta. The Beretta O/U guns have a slightly lower frame profile than the Browning, which can make a world of difference. -- GIT

I know even less about over-under shotguns than you do.

What I do know, from Calico Cass's experience with CAS shotguns, is that it pays dividends to have the gun fitted to her, no matter what you get. If it doesn't fit, it will hurt, it will miss, and she won't enjoy it. Get something nice for HER, but then pay a shotgun guy to fit it to her. It is not just a matter of a person's height, but also "build." And a woman's build, as you probably have noticed, is different from a man's.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Thank God!!! :D

Browning and Beretta may be hard to come by with his price range. Used or otherwise. I see where Cabelas has a Ithaca listed for a little over $600.00 in their gun library. I think Ithaca was made by SKB in Japan. If it is anything like my Browning SXS it is a good buy at that price if not abused. I just used Cabelas as a guide, not a recommendation.

If the gun is used only for hunting and limited numbers of shells will be send through it, you probably can find a good used gun in your price range at the gun dealers. CZ makes some nice inexpensive shotguns as I understand, but they are made in eastern Europe. I have been led to believe that they do not stand up to the pounding of trap or skeet but then I doubt that she would be that abusive.

I agree that a fitting to the little lady's needs would be in order.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and all the best to you both.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, when my lady and I were dating I picked up a 20gauge 870 for her birthday, I gave her the package and when she opened it she said what do I need a shotgun for? So we went to dinner and while we were eating I said you really didn't like the shotgun? And she said "How many do you own I could use one of yours" So while at dinner I said I'll trade you whats in my pocket for your shotgun. She said let me see it and I showed her a blacket velvet bag the bag for the shotgun. She said she'll take the bag, and in the bag was her engagement ring. Good trade don't you think?

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Evening All-

So a year ago my lady took a hunting class as part of her grad school experience and she really enjoyed it, so I decided to look into getting her an O/U shotgun as a wedding present. She prefers the over under so that is a must, but other than that, shotguns are something I am not too familiar with other then my Stoeger.

Is she planning on hunting with it? Upland birds? Waterfowl? Or something else entirely?

I might suggest the humble Ruger Red Label. Have to buy on the used market, and more than you want to pay, but a solid firearm.

Is she planning on hunting with it? Upland birds? Waterfowl? Or something else entirely?

I might suggest the humble Ruger Red Label. Have to buy on the used market, and more than you want to pay, but a solid firearm.

She would like to get into hunting upland birds, but I think it would be mainly used for target practice at the range, maybe some trap

Thanks everyone for the info, greatly appreciated

She would like to get into hunting upland birds, but I think it would be mainly used for target practice at the range, maybe some trap

Thanks everyone for the info, greatly appreciated

Trap guns will differ somewhat from skeet and field guns, so that may be a bit of a challenge. A Browning Citori might be a good bet. Still higher priced than you are looking for, though.

Some good info if you scroll down:

http://www.shotgunlife.com/Shotguns/shotguns.html

Good used options: Winchester 101, Browning Citori, Beretta 686, SKB, Ruger Red Label, Remington Premier. These will probably run in the $700 range.

Good new guns near your price range: CZ

If I was to buy a shotgun for field or clay use today, I would look for a very good Browning Doublematic. Soft shooting, two-shot repeater that loads from the left.

Not knowing all the details here, I have some thoughts to just pass around. Nothing is cast in stone here.

You might want to take her to the range at trap time and let her talk to some of the shooters.

Recoil might be an issue with some of the lighter shotguns in larger gauges.

You don't specify what type of upland game you and she will hunt. If quail, you might want to look at some of the smaller gauges i.e. 28 or .410. These guns are usually lighter and have a softer recoil. They also run a little more than 20 or 12 gauge in the dollar department. Law of supply and demand. For pheasant and grouse I would stay with the bigger gauges.

Question why it is an over/under she is interested in. They are in vogue right now, but a good semi auto or even pump will do the job for less money. Again, law of supply and demand, and there are exceptions. Sometimes, often in some cases, a newbie will be talked into a mind set by an instructor or mentor and not really understand the ramifications of their decisions.

Walking a field hunt all day with an extra barrel on your shotgun can sometimes be a burden. It can also be a blessing if you are shooting a lot of birds and the weight will absorb the impact of the recoil. Two edged sword thingy.

Doubles are nice, but have more issues with point and aim and heavier. Weight is sometimes your friend and others, not so much.

Strongly suggest that you take her to the range and let her see and shoot some of the guns in play.

Just suggestions and good luck.

If she is stuck on an O/U that little CZ Canvasback looks like a good choice, but I have ABSOLUTLY NO EXPERIENCE WITH THEM. On paper it looks like a good investment for $$s spent.

From experience, CZ is no Beretta or Browning, but then again, neither is their price tag.

Like the others have said , there are several good quality OU shotguns that you could search for on the used-gun market. While the ones in your opening list are no doubt solid guns , they will not have the same quality as the Brownings , Berettas , Remingtons , Rugers , or Ithacas. There could be more in that same price range that would be nice guns.

Do your bride and yourself a favor and get a better quality gun to start with. And have it fitted to her by someone who knows shotgun fit. She will enjoy it much more.

Good luck , Rex :D

How 'bout this one?

SKB O/U

Meownself I have a beretta O/U combo that is sweet! But way more than $600

Or maybe this since it's a wedding present...

Mossberg

Or this, it's in 20Ga.

Stoeger

Or a nice Browing...

Browning Cynergy

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

• 1 month later...

How 'bout this one?

SKB O/U

Meownself I have a beretta O/U combo that is sweet! But way more than $600

Or maybe this since it's a wedding present...

Mossberg

Or this, it's in 20Ga.

Stoeger

Or a nice Browing...

Browning Cynergy

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Now thats a man that knows how to treat a woman.. lol ...

You would say that. You're so biased..... :lol:

Its your fault you invited me out to meet everyone..lol... Curley Cole was in on it too.. lol.. Going to the Jersey?????????

Archived