SASS Wire Forum

Ammo

Hoss

Just getting started in CAS. Have ordered Vaqueros in 357/38. I'm looking for ammo advice. I found some magtech 158 grain for .30/rnd. Is that decent ammo, or an anybody make a recommendation? I doubt I'm ever going to get into reloading.

Thanks in advance.

Hoss

Magtech ammo is fine. Use whatever has lead bullets, not jacketed, and cheapest you can find.

And you probably will get into reloading if you stay with the sport. I said the same thing when I started and now I reload and love it.

+1 on the Georgia Arms ammo. Their cowboy loads are very consistent, relatively inexpensive and reasonably low-powered.

Keep the brass. They use Starline, the favorite brass of many cowboy shooters. When you do start reloading (and you will), you will already have your brass.

I also recommend Georgia Arms. However, before you order a large amount, make sure that they feed in the rifle that you will be using. I ended up with 1000 125gn .38's that I could only use in my pistols.

My first year I shot the blue box Magtech 38 Spl 158 LRN. Never had a problem with it. Just save your brass for when you start reloading. Also I found some of the national "Cowboy Loads" for 357 exceeds our velocity limit. Example: Magtech advertises their Cowboy Load .357 at 1085 to fast for SASS. I also find it funny that their 38 spl cowboy ammo is 800 fps compared to the blue box at 755. Both legal.

P.S. with me and the missus shooting I paid for a Dillon 650 with all the bells and buzzers in less than a year. Ammo went from $18 a box to $6.

I said that about reloading too.

I changed my mind pretty quickly. :lol:

If I can do it, anybody can. ;)

Just getting started in CAS. Have ordered Vaqueros in 357/38. I'm looking for ammo advice. I found some magtech 158 grain for .30/rnd. Is that decent ammo, or an anybody make a recommendation? I doubt I'm ever going to get into reloading.

Thanks in advance.

Hoss

If you can afford to shoot and not reload - more power to you.

As others have said - most any of the mass produced 38spl ammo with lead bullets will work for you.

Tho as these may be a little hotter than a lot of our rounds, you may want to investigate if a fellow shooter wishes to load for you.

I put off reloading for cowboy as long as I could (I shot competitive trap for a number of years and swore I would never reload again).

But I wanted to shoot more than I could afford when buying store bought, so....

Also when ammo gets hard to find or you get a call at 7pm the night before a road trip that you hadn't planned on,

it is nice to be able to go out and put some rounds together so you never have to say "I would love to go, but my ammo order hasn't showed up yet"

Magtech ammo is plenty good for CAS. Further, you should have no trouble selling once-fired cases to fellow shooters who reload. The 158 grain bullet is heavier than most shoot in CAS. Somes shooters keep a box of this weight bullet in their carts for knockdown targets that need more push. A 125 grain bullet is more commonly used and 105 grain loads are often used in revolvers. You can get these from Ten-X.

BTW there are commercial reloading services where you can send your fired cases to and they will reload them for you. This can be a considerable cost-savings. One frequent poster on this forum does this as a business.

As an FYI - I just checked all of "Cowboy" .38 loads on Georgia Arms website and they are out of stock due to shortage of components.

I checked them out and saw that too. they doi have very good prices. I orderd some ammo from Ammotogo.

I appreciate the advice, and I will certainly save my brass, hopefully I can make a deal with a re-loader somewhere. I just dont have any room to do reloading anywhere.

Now onto Shotgun shells What shot size is best?

I started shooting CAS with three "Shootin Size" boxes of Magtech (750 rounds total). I needed the brass anyways, and caught a great deal on the ammo. It worked well in both my pistols and rifle. It was a little heavy compared to what most shoot, but it will get you by. I'm still using the brass a a year and 1/2 later.

I checked them out and saw that too. they doi have very good prices. I orderd some ammo from Ammotogo.

I appreciate the advice, and I will certainly save my brass, hopefully I can make a deal with a re-loader somewhere. I just dont have any room to do reloading anywhere.

Now onto Shotgun shells What shot size is best?

12 gauge, 7,8 or 9 is fine.

I reload with reclaimed shot.

Get the 100 packs at wally world.

LG

Since you are very new to CAS you may be unaware of the shells preferred by many shooters. Winchester, low recoil, low noise shells are quite popular (#8 shot) as are Remington STS managed recoil shells. These are comfortable to shoot. If you are not sensitive to recoil bulk pack Remington Gun Club shells will do. I prefer small shot size but reload with reclaimed shot for cost savings.

Regarding range pick-up brass: I figure whatever I buy from the Boy Scouts or is dropped off at the reloading table is just scrap metal handed to me. It's up to me to decide what should be reloaded and what should be junked. The risk is mine. I get handed 38-40s with my 38 Special brass and get 45 Colt and 44-40s returned with my 44 Specials. With 45 ACP brass I get handed brass with small primers, military crimps, berdan primers and some steel cases. It's up to me to sort it out.

12 gauge, 7,8 or 9 is fine.

I reload with reclaimed shot.

Get the 100 packs at wally world.

LG

Those 100 pack shells are for hunting with pumps and autos. They do not shuck very well out of cowboy 2row coachguns due to their having cheap aluminum or steel bases. Coachguns and old 97s much prefer brass heads. I use Win AA featherlites black box with the yellow feather on the box. These can be hard to find tho as can the Rem managed recoil STSs. I was in Gander Mt the other day and they didn't have either so I had to get some hotter AAs. I can take the recoil but I've got to have the brass bases period.

I have only found Win featherlites in Walmart once in the past decade and a half but they do ususally have other AAs and STSs. Which is what my shotguns require. Those silver base 100 packs are for hunting birds with not CAS.

I said that about reloading too.

I changed my mind pretty quickly. :lol:

If I can do it, anybody can. ;)

agreed. reloading is not hard. Plus it saves you lotsa $$$$$$

Those 100 pack shells are for hunting with pumps and autos. They do not shuck very well out of cowboy 2row coachguns due to their having cheap aluminum or steel bases. Coachguns and old 97s much prefer brass heads. I use Win AA featherlites black box with the yellow feather on the box. These can be hard to find tho as can the Rem managed recoil STSs. I was in Gander Mt the other day and they didn't have either so I had to get some hotter AAs. I can take the recoil but I've got to have the brass bases period.

I have only found Win featherlites in Walmart once in the past decade and a half but they do ususally have other AAs and STSs. Which is what my shotguns require. Those silver base 100 packs are for hunting birds with not CAS.

Oh-Really....They slide out just fine in my 2 SxSs and many other SxSs.

Same goes in my 2 "E" model 97's and IAC '97 plus others.

Lots of SASS shooters here use them all the time that don't reload shotgun ammo.

BTW, the bases are made of Tin. ;)

They reload great. ;)

YMMV,

LG

I appreciate the advice, and I will certainly save my brass, hopefully I can make a deal with a re-loader somewhere. I'm sure that you can work out something with someone in your club.I just dont have any room to do reloading anywhere. It really doesn't take much room. I reload on a Black and Decker workmate

My mileage do vary Lumpster. Those 100 pack shells are unnecessarily hot for CAS and they don't shuck worth a dern.

Tin bases? I think not. Where did you get that info? Tin is way too pricey for that purpose I would think. No, I have always read here on the wire they are aluminum or steel never heard anyone say they were tin until you did just now.

They drop right out of my Stoeger SXS and my 97, but they hang-up in my buddies stoeger.

I don't have room, either. I've been doing my reloading for several years using a Lee Hand Press. Sure, it's slow - but not much slower than a single-stage press, and I don't need a bench to mount it on!

Another option: On MidwayUSA, you can find a few reloading stands on which any standard press can be mounted. Lee has a three-legged one, and Frankford Arsenal has a one-legged one.

"Nuttin mo fun than building a low recoil ammo that allows ya to stay on target and much quicker followup shootin tha necked one."

Seriously...Whether your shoot'in shotgun, pistol, or rifle, reloading (I call them "Handloads" because I load by weighing every powder charge) will enhance your whole experience. I've seen folks cringe and heard them express, "That's gotta hurt", when both barrels roar on my old Steven's, short barreled 12ga SxS. I just grin because it feels like I fired a regular 12ga field load. These things you'll learn "Grasshopper."

I got a Black & Decker workmate and set it up in my apartment when I started reloading. I could get it out and then take it down and store it in a closet. I still have it all these years later, but now have my reloading set up in a shop out back. You might think you won't reload, but you probably will. I think its as much fun as the shooting.

I buy my S/G shells from BIG 5 Sporting Goods(I'm in Calif)when they are on sale. I get Rem. Game Loads or Target Loads @ about $5.99-$6.99 box. They are either green or black hulls and shuck very well from doubles. Make sure you polish the chambers with some Crocus cloth(if shooting a double). DICK'S has a 10% discount for buying cases of SG shells, 10bx=case. I buy Rem. Gun Club from them. // Ditto on finding a shooting buddy who will reload for you. Buy cheapest stuff you can find for pistols. Rifles require a shape/length that they like. Best wishes. Baddog N.

The Wally World special Federal bulk packs of 12ga target loads shuck fine in my Stoeger. You just need to try them out in your gun to see if they will work or not. The only reason that I started reloading shotgun was that my wife insisted on shooting Featherlites.

Archived