SASS Wire Forum

PRIMER SIZE

Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804

I have been reloading 45 acp for a long time. Last night I found a new one. I found some Speer cases in 45 acp that are sized for small pistol primers. Any one else run into this???

I have been reloading 45 acp for a long time. Last night I found a new one. I found some Speer cases in 45 acp that are sized for small pistol primers. Any one else run into this???

Yes, they have been around for a while. A real PITA. Speer uses them and CCI with brass cases uses them. They work OK but will foul up the process when the get mixed in with cases with the standard LP primers.

If you have enough of them to make a sufficient batch, you can load them for practice and that way keep them separate from the standard cases. I wouldn't use them for matches as your brass and others brass will inevitably get mixed up and will cause you or others problems when again reloading them.

AS long as they are kept completely separate from the others, there's no real

problem. However they are best avoided if possible.

RBK

I would not load the small primer for Wild Bunch if you already have a load tested/trusted with the large primer cases. A friend is a commercial loader and he said when he checked, using same bullet, powder, the PF was off. If you do load them, probably a good idea to check the PF.

If I come across any, they are going in the recycle bin!

Both Speer and Federal are doing this for "non-toxic" loads for indoor ranges.

Thank the EPA for this.....

The SP cases do reload just fine, BTW.

LG

Make that list include .45 auto cases that are now produced by all the Alliant companies (such as CCI, Speer and Federal), and also Winchester ammunition (where it is headstamped Win NT (Non Toxic)). Discussions with CCI customer support folks have told me that they can CHOOSE to use that small primer .45 auto case in any of their products at any time, and they do not label their production as to the size of primer used. They even told me, 'If you want to know, you have to open the box before you buy."

Have not seen any in the foreign brands of ammo yet - such as MagTech/CBC, or PMC or S&B or Fiocchi or the Russian lines.

And, the indoor-range requirements come from OSHA and NIOSH rather than the EPA. Here's a sample of where some ranges have been fined by OSHA up to $2 million for failure to control exposure of their workers to lead, regardless of whether the exposure came from poor design, poor operational hygiene, failures to properly train and supervise employees, or the use of lead-containing ammunition. Lead ammunition is not directly mandated by the regulations. However, because lead-free ammo is now AVAILABLE, OSHA seems willing to require any indoor range that has been inspected and found to have contamination problems FROM JUST ABOUT ANY SOURCE to switch over to non-lead ammo.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/ranges/

Of course, outdoor ranges are a lot easier to manage for low exposure to lead and other heavy metals than the indoor ranges.

Good luck, GJ

People,

Ain't no problem: don't go thru the bother of separating them and for sure, don't throw them away.

On my 550, I just stop when a large primer won't enter the pocket, pull the brass to check it (sure enough another small primer pocket), then throw it into an empty box next to the machine.

When enough of these accumulate: change to small primers and load em up.

Cheers,

-BB ;)

I collect the small primer 45's in a seperate box. I load them up when I'm going to a lost brass Wild Bunch match. That way I get at least one good use out of them and I don't feel bad walking away from them.

Take POS case whack it with a hammer toss it in the recycle bucket. This effectively takes it out of the recycle pool. Nobody else can be troubled by it ever again.

Or pick up brass for a "Buddy" and swap the nasty buggers with a good case. :ph34r:

Hey, perfectly good reload able brass. Just a nuisance. Tossing it is silly. Just set 'em aside 'till you have enough foe a batch. We're going to be seeing a lot more of it.

Coffinmaker

Same bullet, powder, grains, overall length and crimp has resulted in different power levels when I ahve tried to use these small primer .45 ACPs. They have actually been around for a long time; I have brass going back to the 1980s with small primer pockets. I think that bullseye shooters liked them for some reason.

They go in my recycling bin (with damaged brass and used primers) when I find them. I like to think that one day they will cycle back to my bench as .32-20 or .38-40 made from recycled brass.

Not just real cowboy to re-load it once and leave it on the ground at a lost brass match now is it? Some poor cowboy is gonna spend good money buying it from the Boy Scouts who are not likely to separate it by primer size I don't reckon.

Better to use it for practice. Or sell it to the scrap metal dealer.

Cowboy? You can't have this both ways. Think what you are saying. This is a reloading issue where different kinds of shells are available to us by different means. We are not talking new purchase here. This is scrounged brass. Have you ever gotten a 45 colt and 44-40 back at the unloading table from the brass pickers? Hmmmm...

The people who scrounge brass and sell it for a fee must exercise great care when sorting so they don't hurt "some poor cowboy". That is the cowboy way. Just like that same "poor cowboy" should exercise care when examining the brass they intend to reload. Neither step is a mindless operation.

Of course ye are right Virg, so everyone please forgive my overstating the case for ramifications. Yep it is on the brass scrounger to check each piece of brass before running it thru the machine. Just one more minor vexation with which to live.

But then what is life but an endless series of minor vexations and frustrations. And hoping none grow into major problems...

Yup! Load 'em up with small pistol primers and blast away! They work fine even in my 1911 Colt. You won't notice a difference.

I have been wondering what the issue is here. Small pistol primers in 45 ACP are a fairly known commercial loading variant. I think you can even buy the cases to load your own. I just set the small primer 45 ACP cases aside until I have enough for a full run. This ain't no thing.

I just reloaded 750 rounds and found only 2 that have small primer pockets.

My 550 is only set up for large pistol primers. I have set them aside to give away to someone else.

Archived