SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman

Come On Christmas

I think Clueless Bob has the right idear making a modern category and a traditional category for Comin' At Cha. Traditional rifles can get pretty pricey, but anybody can afford a $300 or less Handi Rifle.

The biggest part of us are older and losing the eyesight of our youth so targets 50 - 100 yards make a lot of sense. This may ruffle the feathers of the authenticity purists who want to use a full bore holy black load gun they parted with big bucks to buy, but I like Clueless Bob's approach. Okay if ya wanna use a hot dawg back in the day buffalo gun to shoot this category, have at it, just reduce the power factor so ya don't tear up the targets.

As much of a party animal as I am (some of my hijinks are legendary and most the time I am pretty much sober) I HAVE NEVER SHOT AT A PAY $100 TO SHOOT MATCH. Comin' At Cha will be a first for me. Dude, I am even gonna practice. (Remember you heard it here first).

My point in mentioning this is this event might just bring more of us marginal folks who could be timed with a Sundial to the forefront.

SEND HONEY AN EMAIL at Badlands if ya gonna shoot Plainsman so we can constitute a quorum of 15 to 25 shooters.

Wait till you see the hat I am gonna wear hat to rattle the nerves of the competition!

Shameless Womanizer AKA A**hopper, Tommy O'Shameless, Bump 'N Run, and Itchy Triggerfinger

Hey Pard,

I agree about the tweaking part, just not the why. I first shot Plainsman in 2000 with a Handi-Rifle and never heard they were banned... Anyway, after seeing Misty Meadows' beautiful low wall, I got the prettiest lil' Browning low wall. (BTW I shot the HR much better/faster than the LW.)

Unfortunately, my problem is my hands. I cannot shoot "out of the box" C&B pistols one handed. I do want to have my hammers lowered so I could shoot. My gunsmith is balking... something about stubbornness (my view) and neuropathy(his view). However, I'm thinking for me and many others, allowing a category with a two-handed grip would be the best way to accomodate folks without requiring modifications. Having guns available that must be purchased is one thing, requiring modifications to even enter a match/side-match is another, not so desirable thing, especially when the reason for the modification is an infirmity.

I've supported the idea that accomodations should not be made when appropriate costumes or guns could be bought. I'm just not sure that modifications should be required before someone can shoot when the accommodations is so easy. Maybe that is a one-sided view. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I would like to see Plainsman events allow a category for handi rifles (seems to be a tradition, since I started shooting anyway) and one for two-handed shooters (seems to be a legitimate medical reason). I would be happy to just see my scores. IMHO, you don't have to offer awards for more than first place in any side match.

Regards,

Allie "who wishes she could shoot the guns she has" Mo

I think Clueless Bob has the right idear making a modern category and a traditional category for Comin' At Cha. Traditional rifles can get pretty pricey, but anybody can afford a $300 or less Handi Rifle.

Actually, the credit for the concept/change goes to Tex, SASS #4. I agree that it is a great idea, and should bring more folks into the Plainsman game. :)

Handi rifles are not a new or modern design. Originally designed in 1871. Modern verses traditional is all about extractors and ejectors.

Some say someone shooting ROAs should have to shoot in a modern class also but the rules don't say that.

Wasatch

Wore out 3 hour glasses shooting plainsman but had a ball. Used a sharps 45/70 shooting .457 roundball about half a case of ffg remainning space walnut media.

Basically turned the 45/70 into galley gun.

I see no reason not to let those who need to shoot 2 handed just for fun. Would not be fair to compete against 1 handed shooters

Hey Allie,

On the pistol for a regional shoot . . . There is a 5 shot 1862 .36 colt sheriff that would help ya shoot one handed or the 6 shot .36 1858 could address the small hands thang. The Uberti has a smaller frame. Buy or mold some .36 conicals for the knock downs. I call my .36 1858 THE SEX PISTOL

For a club shoot I know everywhere I shoot would let ya use two hands.

NEWS FLASH - the 45 Colt Handi Like rifle is a NEF 1871 carbine. Do a search under single shot rifles under 45 Colt. I just bought one on Bungroker. They a little pricer cause they dun't make em no mo.

Tommy O'Shameless the Shameless Womanizer

THE PLAINSMAN

This event requires two .36 caliber or larger Frontiersman Category style percussion revolvers, shot Duelist style.

• Must use a SASS–legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle. .38 Special is legal

• Must use a side by side or single shot shotgun, with or without exposed hammers; or a lever action shotgun.

• Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun).

Mackenna

Huh never read the all black powder line. Easy adjustment. I have not started making the rounds yet.

Shameless

Used a sharps 45/70 shooting .457 roundball about half a case of ffg remainning space walnut media.

Basically turned the 45/70 into galley gun.

Don't the powder makers warn using fillers in a case is dangerous? Not trying to be a smart aleck, just wanted to know if it is truly considered safe....

Shameless Womanizer AKA A**hopper, Tommy O'Shameless, Bump 'N Run, and Itchy Triggerfinger

Said:

Okay if ya wanna use a hot dawg back in the day buffalo gun to shoot this category, have at it, just reduce the power factor so ya don't tear up the targets.

At 5 Dogs Creek we have a set of old, pitted, cupped, despicable looking plates that are just for rifle targets for plainsman matches. And yes I shoot the 30 inch J.M. Browning high wall with 540 grain bullets and a compressed powder charge; don't you like to know when the trigger lets off?

Can shoot any way she wants if it’s up to me, and it is sometimes!

The rest of the Ruger O.M.A. and handi rifle people are within the rules but have little plainsman spirit as I measure it.

Fordyce

"...pitted, cupped, despicable looking plates that are just for rifle targets for plainsman matches."

Where do the bullets go after they hit these plates. Do they stop before traveling off in some unknown direction?

Does a 530 grain bullet traveling back from a target have any chance of hurting someone?

Hummmm? :ph34r:

I'm sorry that you don't perceive me to have the Plainsman Spirit.

My 1871 H&R is as authentic as a Browning High Wall.

As I'm sure that you know, it was me who suggested to Tex that Plainsman events would be better served if it were made into two categories. East and West, where ALL rifles with ejectors would be put into the East category... that would be the Browning Hi-wall, and the H&R with ejectors.

Snakebite

I just want to have fun and shoot a bit longer distance. Keeping a reasonable amount of weapons to shoot more traditional Sass matches and Wild Bunch is hard enough on my budget without dropping $1500 on a gun that shoots out farther than these older eyes can see.

Just enough power and powder are fine with me.

It grieves me to read when authenticity becomes a Neener Neener Neener thang. I am enjoying playing cowboy. I know I am not one. Some folk lose sight of that methinks.

Now I've not been that tactful again and apologize to those affected, so here’s some more:

"...pitted, cupped, despicable looking plates that are just for rifle targets for plainsman matches.

Where do the bullets go after they hit these plates. Do they stop before traveling off in some unknown direction?"

Angled down the bullets reflect to the ground. Your point is well taken that to shoot steel safely the condition, alloy, setting angle, distance and etc. need to meet a set of conditions or bullets are "traveling off in some unknown direction".

"My 1871 H&R is as authentic as a Browning High Wall."

It’s the ping of the spring loaded ejectors as the brass case shoots back that is different. Yes, J.m. Browning made a rising rate lever linkage that can have the effect of ejecting the case if you work the lever with more competencies then I can affect every time. Even the trapdoor worked by those who know how ejects on opening. We can't have spring loaded ejectors on or main match shotguns, so why are they appropriate here where an earlier time is reenacted?

"I'm sorry that you don't perceive me to have the Plainsman Spirit

As I'm sure that you know, it was me who suggested to Tex that Plainsman events would be better served if it were made into two categories. East and West, where ALL rifles with ejectors would be put into the East category... that would be the Browning Hi-wall, and the H&R with ejectors"

I retract my Spirit comment and reaffirm that it is people like you that make it so enjoyable of a sport to me.

I must have been sucking on a Balistol soaked rag...

Fordyce

"I must have been sucking on a Ballistol soaked rag..."

I totally understand, it is some nasty stuff. ;)

Snakebite

Said:

Okay if ya wanna use a hot dawg back in the day buffalo gun to shoot this category, have at it, just reduce the power factor so ya don't tear up the targets.

At 5 Dogs Creek we have a set of old, pitted, cupped, despicable looking plates that are just for rifle targets for plainsman matches. And yes I shoot the 30 inch J.M. Browning high wall with 540 grain bullets and a compressed powder charge; don't you like to know when the trigger lets off?

Can shoot any way she wants if it’s up to me, and it is sometimes!

The rest of the Ruger O.M.A. and handi rifle people are within the rules but have little plainsman spirit as I measure it.

Fordyce

I am sorry you feel this way, but consider this, My wife isn't working(unemployed since our move to PHX) and we have a 17 year old son as well with just my income. I picked up a handi rifle for 125 at a pawn shop because it was cheap enough for me to buy under the current budget, but will still allow me to spend more time playing with my friends. so in your opinion should people like me

A: not come play cowboy with our friends

B: empty our savings for a rifle that costs big money and will only be used 2 or 3 times a year or

C: wait for a charitable gun loving liberal to start a charity who's goal is to donate a Highwall or rolling block to every shooter in need???

Dudes... the rifle ain't the problem...the ejector argument is old news..I got a pard shooting a Remington carbine that can run with my ejectors...want to make plainsman fun???..allow cartridge pistols!!! Its Crap and Ball that is holding back this super fun category...limit the number of shots for the rifle and the catagory can run right along with any normal posse... we do it round here and call it Renegade...drives the rule police nuts.. Oh well..DC

Dudes... the rifle ain't the problem...the ejector argument is old news..I got a pard shooting a Remington carbine that can run with my ejectors...want to make plainsman fun???..allow cartridge pistols!!! Its Crap and Ball that is holding back this super fun category...limit the number of shots for the rifle and the catagory can run right along with any normal posse... we do it round here and call it Renegade...drives the rule police nuts.. Oh well..DC

Cap and Ball runs right along with any normal posse today, and without scatalogical denigration, to boot! :ph34r::angry:

Have you heard of Frontiersman? Great Fun! ;)

I have seen more than one club run Plainsman with main matches(Ro'ed for one a couple weeks ago). It does require limiting the rifle shots a little, as well as a few further rifle targets (but not excessively so). And FUN!

Harvey - who enjoys Frontiersman and Plainsman but has some trouble with duelist style due to arthritis - still do it for the fun! :D

"Dudes" ???

Plainsman was great fun until it became the "plinksman" class. The little dinky rounds and the handy rifle radically changed the class and not for the better. In the beginning, it was great fun to shoot big single shots and cap and ball guns. Targets were further out and it took some skill to work the guns. I enjoyed it greatly. If the solution is to get rid of the big rifles, the class becomes kind of pointless and will probably just go the way of the Dodo. To bad, it was fun while it lasted.

A 45 Colt 235 grain projectile filled to the base on the bullet with Fg not FFg or FFFg black powder is a plinking round huh?

Still have to hit the target, wot.

I was gonna use 777 which is a hotter.

We are shooting targets, not buffalo . . . Bill.

A 45 Colt 235 grain projectile filled to the base on the bullet with Fg not FFg or FFFg black powder is a plinking round huh?

Still have to hit the target, wot.

I was gonna use 777 which is a hotter.

We are shooting targets, not buffalo . . . Bill.

Wow, 30 grains, maybe 35 grains (which I doubt) of Fg and a 235 grain bullet in a rifle, how can you stand the recoil?! Oh wait, the old BP 45 Colt handgun round was 40 grains under a 250 grain bullet in a balloon head case. So, yeah, compared to a full case of BP and a 405 grain bullet in a 45-70 (the GI load) or, what I like to shoot, 80 grains of BP under a 535 grain bullet in a 45-90, a 45 colt is absolutely a plinking round.

We have lots of places to shoot pistol caliber rifles in SASS. Why do we need to get rid of the one place in SASS where you can shoot a big bore gun as a "main" match rifle (not long range). How tough is it to throw some heavy targets out a bit further? They don't need to be reset and the plainsman class shoots fewer rounds any way, so what is the big deal?

Hello The Camp

I have been shooting Frontier Cartridge for a couple of years and have become a dedicated maker of Whire Smoke.

Recently I have been Attempting to shoot Frontierman and my Arthur Issue is Killing me with the Duelist Style required in the Category.

Maybe SASS will add a 2 Hand Frontiersman Category same as we have in Frontier Cartride to help out the Arthur folks .

(Currently Pursuing having a pair of 58 Hammers Lowered to maybe help with my Arthur Issue)

As far as Plainsman, I sold my High Wall a few years back and currently on the hunt for a 50 Caliber Smith Carbine.

Enjoy The Game

Riding East Making White Smoke

Hagen

Tha Plainsman rules have not materialy changed in MY time in SASS (joined up early 97) and I think they are the most cleverly written rules ever... whether intentionally or accidentally!

Look at the rifle requirements... It says "firing a traditional Black Powder Rifle or Revolver cartridge"

Pure genius!... One can buy an affordable H&R chambered in 44 mag or 357 mag.. and shoot 44 Russian or 38 Long Colt and be totally within the wording - and the Spirit! - of the rules....

SO.. if you want to complain about it being a "Plinksman" class you had better talk to whoever wrote the rules.. because in MY time in SASS there has NEVER been a requirement to shoot 45-70 etc...

Sorry.. but that reminds me of complaints about the Gunfighter category.. from people who don't seem to have read the rules!

P.S. I started in Plainsman with an original Low-Wall in 38-55...A rifle which I could shoot just as fast as the 38-55 H&R I eventually got.. having ill-advisedly SOLD the Winchester.. (Still cry about that sometimes..... :wacko:

It ain't just the Handi Rifles that'll kick the butt of the Trapdoor/Rolling Block/Sharps shooters..

So yes, I too support the category split....

The revolver cartridge was added just recently, last couple of years. Before, it stated a traditional rimmed black powder rifle cartridge. I started shooting my Burnside, you can't get much more traditional than that, but found out my Burnside does not qualify since the cartridge does not have a rim. So I will shoot my better half's Maynard instead. Though it could be argued that the part of the case that acts as a gas seal is a rim ... :)

The revolver cartridge was added just recently, last couple of years.

A SASS legal single-shot rifle firing a "traditional blackpowder cartridge" (e.g., not a .30-30). The cartridges may be either rifle or pistol caliber.

SHB p.18, Eighth Edition, JULY 1999

Must use a SASS legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or pistol caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30)....
SHB p.12, Ninth Edition, FEBRUARY 2000

Not sure where my confusion is, but yep, your right, ad always. Looking over an 08 SHB and I guess I was running the Plainsman rules with some of the long range requirements together. There was a change just recently, what was that?

Archived