SASS Wire Forum

CCW weapon adjustment?

Trigger Mike

I know a fellow who primarily carries a NAA 22 mag mini revolver. Easier to conceal. Safer as well than others I suppose. He does not anticipate a well armed vest wearing gas discharging evil nut. All this makes me wonder if he should step it up to something bigger.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best CCW gun ever made is the one you are carrying at the time. I often carry a 5 shot 22 mag derringer size pistol as a matter of concealment and convenience. Not my first choice, but sometimes necessary. I do know that I would rather have it than nothing at all.

If you have a choice, carry the biggest caliber you can.....that being said I am always packing something.....and the general rule is I always have a 4" folding knife handy.

KK

I know a fellow who primarily carries a NAA 22 mag mini revolver. Easier to conceal. Safer as well than others I suppose. He does not anticipate a well armed vest wearing gas discharging evil nut. All this makes me wonder if he should step it up to something bigger.

He should carry whatever he can effectively use.

But a .22 is on the lower end of the effective scale.

That would not be my first choice, or 10th choice.

Depends on how serious he is about self defense.

I often carry a 5 shot 22 mag derringer size pistol as a matter of concealment and convenience. KK

I have a friend that carries the same 22mag..

Both of you are living in a falsehood of security with the 22mag.

Both of you do not have enough gun for social encounters.

Both of you know that when you are serious with yourselves.

Hope both of you are never tested.

The best CCW gun ever made is the one you are carrying at the time. I often carry a 5 shot 22 mag derringer size pistol as a matter of concealment and convenience. Not my first choice, but sometimes necessary. I do know that I would rather have it than nothing at all.

If you have a choice, carry the biggest caliber you can.....that being said I am always packing something.....and the general rule is I always have a 4" folding knife handy.

KK

seems like the 38 revolver is too bulky, some 380s mag releases in your pocket, a 1911 is too big and bulky and a police officer is too heavy to carry and too busy to go with me everywhere.

I have a friend that carries the same 22mag..

Both of you are living in a falsehood of security with the 22mag.

Both of you do not have enough gun for social encounters.

Both of you know that when you are serious with yourselves.

Hope both of you are never tested.

I think it is because I don't really ever expect trouble, just think having something is better than nothing. I have attended training as a police officer where a criminal used that 22 mag and took out a fellow officer who was carrying a 357. He survived the officers 6 rounds to the chest. Unfortunately the officer did not survive the 2 rounds of 22 mag.

I think it is because I don't really ever expect trouble, just think having something is better than nothing. I have attended training as a police officer where a criminal used that 22 mag and took out a fellow officer who was carrying a 357. He survived the officers 6 rounds to the chest. Unfortunately the officer did not survive the 2 rounds of 22 mag.

As you know....any caliber will work if properly placed and every caliber can fail if not.

The former police chief of Eureka, California, carries a High Standard .22 magnum derringer as his off duty weapon. I'm not necessarily advocating the use of any rimfire cartridge as a self-defense weapon....but I'm also not volunteering to be on the receiving end to test its lack of effectiveness.

If yer out and a about and the SHTF, a 22 mag in yer pocket is better than a 1911 in the safe.

That said I opt for something that will put bigger holes in a target, and more of them. With the adrenalin pumping it may just take a few more rounds at the target before it stops than the tight groups in practice.

Do you think the folks up Denver way did?

Personally, I don't think the NAA is a good choice for concealed carry. That said, I carry one in my T-shirt pocket very often. I don't think the .22 Mag is a good choice either. However, if you decide to keep it I highly suggest you upgrade your ammo to either Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester PDX. Both of these are designed for short barrel guns. Winchester is advertising 1200fps with a 45 grain bullet out of a two inch barrel. Take that velocity claim for whatever you think it is worth. They're sellilng ammo.

I did a test of the Hornady, Federal 50 grain, and Winchester 30 grain ammo. All three penetrated 3 gallon jugs of water, but the Hornady is the only one that expanded, and it didn't expand much. I haven't found the Winchester PDX at a store yet. I will be giving it a try as soon as I find some.+

If a person was just insisting on .22Mag, I'm thinking the new Kel-Tec PMR 30 would be a good choice, if you can even find one. They had troubles with the early ones and recalled them.

My small, hot weather sidearm is a S&W Model 640 in .357 magnum... But then again, I am girthy enough to carry it without it printing...

If your summer wear allows you to carry a 5-shot .22 mag or a Beretta Model 21 but not your Glock 26, then carry it. Carry the largest, most practical gun that you can that is still concealed (taken from massad Ayoob).

I have pulled a concealed gun twice, both times by the roadside and on wild dogs. Since I am more terrified of a mean dog than any ten men, that is my measure (long story but true).

A .22 LR may deter a sane, undrugged individual in soft clothing who is not willing to take a bullet even if it would just wound them.

A .22Mag or .32 ACP may slow down anything wilder, bigger or better protected but one cannot be sure. Shot placement is critical and luck becomes a major factor.

More power = less reliance on luck

Greetings,

I get the feeling you already are thinking about a larger caliber concealed carry piece. I suspect you're not the only one. I think the incident in Denver is going to have a lot of CCWers re-thinking their carry piece, not because they're planning to duke it out with such a heavily armed/protected crazy, but rather if one should back them or their loved ones into a corner, with no chance to run/duck for cover, they might want something with perhaps a semblance of a chance against such a crazy.

Greetings,

I get the feeling you already are thinking about a larger caliber concealed carry piece. I suspect you're not the only one. I think the incident in Denver is going to have a lot of CCWers re-thinking their carry piece, not because they're planning to duke it out with such a heavily armed/protected crazy, but rather if one should back them or their loved ones into a corner, with no chance to run/duck for cover, they might want something with perhaps a semblance of a chance against such a crazy.

sorta. I have a S& W 6906 that I may try out for concealment use. I want a good pocket gun.

sorta. I have a S& W 6906 that I may try out for concealment use. I want a good pocket gun.

Frankly - I think one needs to come at it from a different perspective.

If you accept that you carry a handgun because you feel that you should be armed in the event of a bad event - and

that carrying a combat rifle is probably not going to work very well, then you carry the next best thing - a combat

capable handgun.

Then you get into the most common trade space - do you carry enough gun and dress for it, or do you dress for

comfort and convenience, and pick a gun to suit?

If your priority is the gun being adequate to the need - pick that gun, and alter your wardrobe to suit.

If you're more worried about your style of dress - just pick the biggest handgun your clothes will conceal.

Either way -

Have a gun,

make sure it always goes bang,

make sure it hits where you point it,

make sure it hits that point as often as needed.

Everything else is debatable . . . .

Shadow Catcher

BTW - I am not comfortable with anything less than a.38 or 9mm. Gave up on the .380 and .22 long ago . . .

I also hate being in crowded places that lack cover and easy exit . . .

This type of question has been popping up on several forums after the Colorado shootings, even on a LE board where the person was asking how they could conceal carry their duty weapon off duty. Let's remember that unless you could make a 15 yard moving head shot in the dark with tear gas deployed, no handgun caliber listed would defeat this wacko's body armour. 22 mag or 44 mag, no difference. ;)

BSD

Okay here's the deal. My opinion based on toting guns daily for several decades.

People want to be comfortable. That's understandable. But there are some sacrifices you must make if you want to carry a concealed firearm.

One is that in most areas you need a permit so you'll have to fork over cash and maybe go to some training. That may be uncomfortable for some.

Then you have to shell out cash for an adequate weapon that you can use to save your life and your loved ones. This is where people become uncomfortable again with the money aspect and look for the least expensive alternative. They have convinced themselves that they'll "probably never need it".

Then having looked at a variety of guns and listened to gun shop employees, friends, ccw instructors, etc. they go for a gun that is the most comfortable to wear. That usually means small and light, and probably a small caliber as well. The overriding thought of many is that it beats carrying a ball point pen or a rock. And of course that's true.

But...you might want to think for a minute if your life is worth just being "comfortable". Guns just aren't comfortable to carry despite the claims of firearm and holster manufacturers. It's just not very comfortable carrying around a concealed piece of steel, plastic, and wood. It takes a lot of getting used to. After a considerable period of time, and I'm talking months or years not weeks here, you will get used to it. Just like an infantryman gets used to living in a dirty hole and a trucker gets used to long hours on the road. They are not comfortable but they do what they have to. But who likes being uncomfortable? Nobody. So after awhile the gun gets left at home or a tiny pocket pistol is carried until it becomes uncomfortable and inconvenient too and that goes away. But it's okay because you'll probably never need it.

Carrying a gun takes some dedication. Dedication to self preservation, dedication to protecting your family, dedication to the Constitution if you will.

We can't have it the way we want all the time. Life just ain't that simple. Now I'm not saying you can't find a carry weapon that you won't like. I'm not saying there are not folks who will say they don't even notice their Model 29, or 1911, Thompson, or KelTec. I'm just saying that for me, carrying a gun has never been comfortable either physically or psychologically. I do it because I want to have some small amount of control over my own destiny and if it takes being a little uncomfortable, I can get used to it. Sometimes being comfortable is overrated.

Just my view. You may disagree. All I ask is you give it some thought.

I read somewheres if you strip naked and start masturbating, most anyone will leave you alone.

Except the occasional hooker

and

the cops.

:lol:

At least with a 44 Mag or 45 ACP, the dude will have to pick his can off the floor to continue. Most likely, he will drop what he's shooting too. By then, there would be a chance to subdue him. The bigger the bullet, the better.

I've seen way too many unfired 22 rounds laying around on various ranges some hit multiple times to ever trust a rimfire for personal defense.

But I also have pulled a pocket auto only to fine the magazine has dislodged............

Nothings perfect!

At least with a 44 Mag or 45 ACP, the dude will have to pick his can off the floor to continue. Most likely, he will drop what he's shooting too. By then, there would be a chance to subdue him. The bigger the bullet, the better.

I see this kind of statement a lot. So, what does it feel like, if you're wearing a really good vest, to get hit in the stomach or chest (or head, if you're wearing a helmet)? Is it a tap, or is it a Mike-Tyson-type battering? Seems to me it's not just a question of penetration, but also of repeated impact. How many non-penetrating impacts, and what caliber, before they decide to get out of town?

I see this kind of statement a lot. So, what does it feel like, if you're wearing a really good vest, to get hit in the stomach or chest (or head, if you're wearing a helmet)? Is it a tap, or is it a Mike-Tyson-type battering? Seems to me it's not just a question of penetration, but also of repeated impact. How many non-penetrating impacts, and what caliber, before they decide to get out of town?

Richard Davis, the founder of Second Chance body armor used to go around the country demonstrating his vests by shooting himself in the abdomen while wearing his product. I never saw him knocked down or stunned into submission. He got some nasty bruises. I bought one of his vests.

And I would refer those who think a hit on a vest will incapacitate you to view the North Hollywood shootout videos again. Both bad guys continued to fire after receiving multiple hits to their armor.

Richard Davis, the founder of Second Chance body armor used to go around the country demonstrating his vests by shooting himself in the abdomen while wearing his product. I never saw him knocked down or stunned into submission. He got some nasty bruises. I bought one of his vests.

And I would refer those who think a hit on a vest will incapacitate you to view the North Hollywood shootout videos again. Both bad guys continued to fire after receiving multiple hits to their armor.

My thoughts also. Short of a .50 BMG round, I doubt that the dude in Colorado could have been subdued with a.44 or a .45 hand gun, short of a round to the thought locker. I am not certain that my shooting skills would allow me to put one there under the conditions. I realize that my little .38 is marginal, but it is better than bad thoughts and calling names. Not all bad guys wear body armor, but if they do, well some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue. I wish I had the answer but alas, I do not. Smarter people than me have no answers either.

My Springfield EMP-40 isn't light and it isn't comfortable but it provides me with a level of comfort knowing I have it if I need it. My wife was wanting a NAA Wasp for CCW because of size and weight issues but I wasn't thrilled with the rimfire. We found a nice compromise in the Walther PK380 (she made the decision of course).

I was in Bass Pro yesterday (same one where the Batman shooter purchased some of his weapons) and there were A LOT more people there than is usual for a Sunday afternoon. Come to think of it...before Bass Pro, I was in one of the Gander Mtn. stores where he apparently purchased some of his gear and there were A LOT more people there than is usual as well. (I'm guessing the gun show on Aug. 4th and 5th is going to see a much larger than usual attendance).

I was paying close attention to what people were looking at for protection and most of them were going with smaller, more concealable pistols, mostly chambered in .380. The attitude (from what I overheard) was one of, "Anything is better than nothing if I'm in a situation like the one in Aurora." I like that attitude a lot better than, "Bah, it's not likely to happen to me."

Archived