SASS Wire Forum

Load data for .32 Winchester Special

I realize that we aren't allowed to put load data up on here, so what I'm asking is if someone can point me to some place on the Interweb where I can find load data for 170 grain cast bullets in .32 Winchester Special. I'm looking for a load for long range rifle caliber side matches.

Please don't tell me that I need to find a different rifle, that sort of thing, 'cause that ain't happenin'. I have a Winchester "Model of 1894" (the long barreled rifle model) that was made in 1897 that was used by my mom for elk hunting for several years, and now I have it, and I want to use it for long range side matches. Can anybody help?

Thanks!

The .32 Win Special was introduced in 1902 as the cartridge that could use BP or smokeless in the 1984. There is nothign wrong with the round except it was not made until 1902. Being made after 1899, some may rules that it should not be allowed for long-range rifle matches according to SASS rules. It has not benefit over the .30-30 for this application but the line gets drawn somewhere.

If your 1897 gun has the original barrel, it can't be .32 WS unless it was rechambered. The chamberings in 1897 were .25-35(.25WCF), .30-30(.30WCF), .32-40 and .38-55. If it is actually a .32-40, you have a very neat gun and a soft shooter.

Thanks, but I already knew it wasn't originally chambered in .32 Special. This particular rifle was rebarreled in 1936. And I was assured by SASS headquarters a few years ago that it is indeed "legal" for side matches. Now back to my original question:

Can anybody point me to some load data for 170 grain cast bullets for the .32 Winchester Special?

Actually, I think I may have a pound of 777 floating around my reloading room somewhere. Hadn't thought of that. May have to try it.

Bow and Jake, thanks.

Archived