SASS Wire Forum

POCKET PISTOL side match

In Pocket Pistol side matches, are guns permitted to be shot double action?

Just wondering, as I write up the scenario for our pocket pistol side match at the Badger Mountain Range War. Haven't had one before, and I have never shot a PP side match.

Muchas gracias for any advice,

eGG

Yes! Most pocket pistol matches are shot with double action, break top guns. Some are 6 shot, .32 cal guns, most are 5 shot, .38 cal break-tops. Speed of the shooter and double action guns usually win. Some Pocket Pistol matches are shot for group size. Then a Single action gun can be used. I have 6-7 guns for this, and my Favorite is a Smith & Wesson single action in .38 S&W, with a spur trigger.

Jake

Targets are usually something like a paper plate, or a sheet of printer paper, sometimes half a sheet. Heavy cardboard on some kind of target stand makes a good backer to staple the targets to. Some bullets will bounce off even 1/4 inch plywood. At our recent annual, for the first time we did an accuracy PP match just for a change of pace, no timer involved. It was well received and lots of people shot it. But speed events are the norm, and that's what people are expecting.

I did not write it, but worked a shift running the Pocket Pistol / Derringer side match at the Georgia State match this year. Here's the scenario we used if you need some ideas.

Stage setup - Small table and a chair. 3 WOOD target frames with cardboard backings lined up directly in front of the table. Target frames were roughly 12" x 14". If derringer, a standard size playing card is taped to center of the center target (P2).

Shooter sits at the table and loads there as well. 5 rounds for PP, 2 rounds for derringer. Shooter starts holding gun, gun must be touching table (ex holding gun and front tip of barrel is touching the table).

At the beep:

Pocket Pistol - Shooter engages P1, P3, P1, P3, P2. All rounds must be on the targets for the score to count. Hitting the frame is a miss (not mentioning any names, Done Gone). Double action allowed, and that's how everyone shot.

Derringer - Fire both rounds at P2. At least one round has to hit the playing card for the score to be counted.

Pocket Pistol and Derringer scores are kept on seperate sheets. Don't bother recording evey shooters score. Record the first shooter, than any score that beats the last recorded high score.

Have an ample supply of playing cards available, and tape or stickers to cover the bullet holes between each run.

Last but not least, Have Fun!

Bucky

we'd run 2 phases of pocket pistol (and/or Derringer) - speed and accuracy.

Speed: 2 or three round steel targets (big 'uns) at about 15 feet - 4 or 5 shots total depending on safety regs. Order of fire to be decided in advance. Fastest time clean, no misses, wins. Decide beforehand on starting position of pistol (in hand, on table, etc.)

Accuracy: a "bullseye" - type target set up at about 15 feet/2 shots. Closest group to center wins - no time limit.

Archived