SASS Wire Forum

1 OR 2

Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804

Shooting from behind a prop. Shooter does not reholster pistols but instead leaves them on the prop and moves on to rifle. Is that 1 msv or 1 for each pistol? There were no instructions to leave on prop.

Shooting from behind a prop. Shooter does not reholster pistols but instead leaves them on the prop and moves on to rifle. Is that 1 msv or 1 for each pistol? There were no instructions to leave on prop.

That would be a single MSV:

10- SECOND PENALTIES

Minor Safety Penalties

• Not returning revolvers to leather unless otherwise specified.

RO1 p.24

I would say one MSV (emphasis mine)

Minor Safety Penalties

Not returning revolvers to leather unless otherwise specified

ROI p 24

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Dang it PWB you are so quick on the keyboard - it is like you have done that a time or two :lol:

Were there instructions to "holster em"?

READ the rule.

Revolvers MUST be holstered at the end of the shooting string UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED.

The "Stage Conventions" were added to the rules for a reason...one of which is to eliminate having to state "holster revolvers" in every stage description:

STAGE CONVENTIONS

Stage Conventions, or standard range behaviors, are a list of practices every shooter is expected to know and follow on every stage. These stage conventions should be followed in all SASS matches unless otherwise directed in stage descriptions.

7. Revolvers are returned to leather after the shooting string.

SHB p.20/RO1 p.14

The question I have is, did the shooter fire one round from the rifle? if not, he can correct the potential MSV for a no call, i.e. open the rifle(if in battery), move to the pistols(while holding the rifle safely), put the pistols back in leather, move back to the rifle position and shoot. Might be faster to take the msv or not depending on distance and speed.

If the rifle was not put in battery, go back and holster.

Almost broke my own rule about citing the documentation

ROI Page 17:

• Rifle

Safe to leave the shooters hands.

• Empty, action open

• Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged for further use)

Safe for movement rifle in hand only

• Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended round, action closed

• Action open, round on carrier or in chamber

ROI Page 30:

Shooting string – shots from one type of firearm prior to use of the next type of firearm engaged.

SASS ROI Page 16:

6. Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered) with hammer down on a spent case or empty chamber at the conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs otherwise; e.g., “move to next position and set gun on table or prop.” A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged. (Gunfighters may choose to shoot five rounds, safely stage their loaded revolvers, hammer down on a spent cartridge, shoot another firearm, retrieve the revolvers, and finish the “shooting string” before re-holstering.)

Shooting from behind a prop. Shooter does not reholster pistols but instead leaves them on the prop and moves on to rifle. Is that 1 msv or 1 for each pistol?

There were no instructions to leave on prop.

The shooter is assessed ONE 10-second MSV if he didn't correct the situation (i.e. holster both revolvers) before firing a round from the rifle.

REF: Post #'s 2, 7 & 8

Archived