SASS Wire Forum

ruger bearcat verses others

Trigger Mike

I loaded up with a few Ruger Single Six 22 pistols and even Colt new frontier 22 revolvers, but my little girl mainly likes the Bearcat. She feels the single six is too heavy and likes the Colts just fine, bu loves the small size of the bearcat. I imagine my other daughter will feel the same when she gets there. I may keep the singe sixes for my sons. What is a fair price for a bearcat these days? I would consider more Colt 22 but they are hard to find

Well... she certainly has good taste and judgement~! ;)

The Bearcat is one neat li'l revolver. ^_^

Ya talking about the old ones or the new ones?

I don't really know the difference. the one she uses I have had for a long while so it is an older one. The action seems stiff to me, but she does not seem to notice.

I agree with the ol' Curmudgeon. The Bearcat is a great little gun.

I dunno but it seems they're going anywhere from the high three hundreds to around six hundred, depending if you get one of the newer models or one of the older models.

I have an older Bearcat that goes with me in my tackle box and any other place where there's a possibility I might run into some unwanted snakes. For example, I had it in my Rhino this morning, loaded with snake shot, when I went out to the pasture to string an electric offset wire on my fence.

She definitely has good taste.

I don't really know the difference. the one she uses I have had for a long while so it is an older one. The action seems stiff to me, but she does not seem to notice.

Steel vs Alloy frame. Who cares... a neat li'l nug in either case. ;)

Bearcat Discussion

I bought my wife a Bearcat in 1965 after we got married. (I owned several before that. Carried 'em in my pockets, fishing creel, tool box, under the seat of my car, where ever, shot 'em until they were too dirty to work and buy a new one.) I'm considering sending hers back to Ruger for a factory refurb job.

I also had a couple of Scouts / Frontier Scouts and they are the top of the line, but I can't find a good one that's affordable any more.

The bearcat is the real deal !

Your little girl has very good taste.

:FlagAm:

I bought my wife a Bearcat in 1965 after we got married. (I owned several before that. Carried 'em in my pockets, fishing creel, tool box, under the seat of my car, where ever, shot 'em until they were too dirty to work and buy a new one.) I'm considering sending hers back to Ruger for a factory refurb job.

I also had a couple of Scouts / Frontier Scouts and they are the top of the line, but I can't find a good one that's affordable any more.

Older Bearcats had 4 clicks just like the Single Six, but only 2 screws instead of the 3 of Colts and Rugers. They did not have transfer bars either. Loading from half-cock, they are great little guns. If you send it to Ruger, they Will change it to a transfer bar gun. You get your old parts back, but they will not let it leave without Fixing it to their specs.

BearCats were $29 in 1958, $49.95 in '72 when discontinued. Ruger started making them again in '92 with transfer bars. Some were 2 clyinder guns with a .22 mag cyl. Recalled almost immediately because of pressure problems.

My granddaughter Fazzt Taz is shooting Bearcats & doing really well with them.The only thing I have done to them is lighten the springs & had Griner Gun Works run a chamber reamer thru them as the chambers were a little snug.I have two younger grandkids that will be using themm in the future. Largo

Hey Mike,

I bought two for my son to shoot, both steel, one an older model without the transfer bar and one with. The newer one is like new and the older one needed a good cleaning and had some wear on the blueing and grip. I bought both for less than $300 each (delivered) on Gunbroker.

Hey Mike,

I bought two for my son to shoot, both steel, one an older model without the transfer bar and one with. The newer one is like new and the older one needed a good cleaning and had some wear on the blueing and grip. I bought both for less than $300 each (delivered) on Gunbroker.

that helps. I will try to find some. Cabelas sells them but they want over 500 for a new one and over 450 for the used blued ones. I do have points with them I could use to bring the price down though

Hey Mike,

Archived