SASS Wire Forum

Rare find's still out there

DOCBRAZOS, SASS#18033L

Went to a Western Auto store yesterday and the owner asked if I wanted some old brass they had laying around.

Sure I said. First was an ol' box of Winchester Reloadable brass and since he hadn't sold it in 20+ years I could just have it. It was marked $2.00 so couldn't be worth much...........50 rounds new 32-20 brass.

Hey while your here he mentioned he had some other loose stuff. 16 rounds of 38 S&W Western Blanks, 1 22 WRF round and 34 steel case EC 42 45 ACP rounds. Only made for 3 years in Wisconsin.

So there are some treasures still out there.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/Docbrazos/32-20.jpg

That brass and ammo is a great find! Heck I would like to be even able to find a Western Auto Store! :P

Marlin(Who didn't even know there were anymore Western Auto Stores)Buckhorn

Next your going to tell me there are Coast to Coast hardware stores!

Ya I would love to find a Western Auto.

Last gunshow Top and I went to a guy just walked up to me (I was dressed cowboy ) and he said I looked like a cowboy that could use some ammo, he had some Ultramax 44/40, one full box and one box of the fired cases. He said a family member left em behind and he didn't use them. I asked what he wanted for them....when he said $20....I didn't even try to dicker, I almost broke my hand tryin to get my cash out. I walked up and handed it to Top (he is the 44/40 shooter) and he almost cried....then he swore at me cuz I am the one that always seem to find the deals....

Oh and right after my cousin gave me a 1908 hammerless Colt 380, I found the book on them on a counter marked $20, when I asked the guy how much he said he would take $10 when I came home and googled it they were going for $500 ( b4 the revised edition came out..) but it still sells for between $200-375...

who else fould good stuff lately

curley

There are several of the old Western Auto Associate stores still using the name in small towns in East Texas that I know of.

Recognize that the true Western Auto stores are long gone, but some just continue to use the name, for whatever reason. I guess that once the stores were established, there really wasn't any real need to change the name when the National Franchise ceased to exist. People still recognize the name.

RBK

Hey , Doc Brazos , on an entirely different subject , the new "American Handgunner" has a glowing write-up on the Ruger 45 Flat-top by John Taffin. They will no doubt become desirable items now :lol:.

Was great meeting you. And the kid loves the Vaquero. Rex :D

I got a flyer for an auction the other day with a lot of guns for sale. One which was a Ruger Bearcat 22 mag unfired in the box. Other was a Winchester 73 in 22 caliber. Would love to have both of em.

On another auction they had a Winchester 97 trap gun in 20 gauge, Engraved and gold inlaid. Sure was a beauty.

First Western Auto Stores and now 20 gauge Winchester 97's! What is this world coming to! :lol:

Marlin(Who has said enough)Buckhorn

JUst cause ya ain't never seen em, don't mean there ain't no such critter. :lol:

I got a flyer for an auction the other day with a lot of guns for sale. One which was a Ruger Bearcat 22 mag unfired in the box. Other was a Winchester 73 in 22 caliber. Would love to have both of em.

On another auction they had a Winchester 97 trap gun in 20 gauge, Engraved and gold inlaid. Sure was a beauty.

I sure would like a link to that auction, I have never see'd me a Winchester in 20 gauge neither. Winchester maybe made a few prototypes.

Jake

I sure would like a link to that auction, I have never see'd me a Winchester in 20 gauge neither. Winchester maybe made a few prototypes.

Jake

try Jamesdjulia.com

I got a flyer for an auction the other day with a lot of guns for sale. One which was a Ruger Bearcat 22 mag unfired in the box.

I was at a shoot last year in Nevada and a guy was putting out some guns for sale. He layed down a Bearcat, NIB and asked $400.00. I turned aroud to say something to my shooting pard about a single shot .45-70 he wanted and then was going to pickup the BC and buy it. It was gone in the blink of MY eye. :o Sorry I didn't grab it first.

Within 6 weeks, I got (all but one in trades), a refinished Bisley in 41 LC (a REAL Bisley by Colt), A lightening in 38 LC, a Thunderer in 41 LC, and 1878 Frontier Double Action

in 45 LC,. Only the Bisley was made after 1900, all (But the Bisley) good shooting condition, with some blue left and some case hardening. Oh, also bought a Baby Russian.

If you go back a total of 2 months (an additional 2 weeks), I also got a second generation SAA in 45 LC. Just got a Krag on the 4th.

Um not sure if this counts but i found a marlin cowboy comp with very low round count for 500 and just recently an 1908 model 94 30-30 with a 26" barrel for less than half that. Reblued but mirror bore with sharp grooves

Rare find's still out there I'll show you mine

Rare finds to me are low production, high quality firearms that are not made anymore. Here is an example of one:

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1341973264

It is a 10.5x47R obsolete caliber Martini action Schuetzen rifle over 100yrs old. The sights are missing but there are sources for them. In the meantime, it will be scoped after I make the cases and bullets

The rifle was brought back from Germany at the end of WWII and laid in a gun case ever since then until I bought it

1342225150[/url]' post='2467021']

To my knowledge Wincheter never made a 20 ga 97 period..neverAnd that's a factI was not made by Winchester97's came in 12 ga and 16 ga only

To my knowledge Wincheter never made a 20 ga 97 period..neverAnd that's a factI was not made by Winchester97's came in 12 ga and 16 ga only

Maybe ya should go to jamesdjulia.com and tell them folks that they don't have for sale what they think they have then. May save them some embarassment. We ain't never too old to learn something.

Maybe ya should go to jamesdjulia.com and tell them folks that they don't have for sale what they think they have then. May save them some embarassment. We ain't never too old to learn something.

My Dear Jacknife; If you go back and read the words (all the words) you'll see the word "custom" after the Winchester model '97 Black Diamond. When that word appears, I think someone customized it after it left the factory. Like when people take a Ford or Merc and customize it. It was never a catalog item for Winchester. Only 12 and 16's were made. I agree that maybe a prototype might have been made, but certainly not a Gold inlaid, engraved Black Diamond. I'd like to have it, wouldn't you?

Jake

P.S. I called Jr. @B R 549 and checked with him on this. http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/327/images/org/46499X100.jpg

I have actually seen 2 Winchester 97's in 20 gauge. Run-N-Iron made some and had at least 1 in their tent in 2 different years at HOW. Started life as a 16 gauge 97. Those boys do real fine work! Probably be several of them by now if some fellers hadn't decided Cowboy's couldn't shoot them. :)

Marlin(Who shoots an 87 anyway)Buckhorn

I was recently handed a bag containing about 250 rounds of .455 Webley Mark 2 ammunition. Amongst these were 50 made by Fiocchi, 50 made by Kynoch and 50 by Winchester (all full boxes), and 8 packets of 12 Military issue rounds and 5 loose rounds.

In the bottom of the bag was a 1915 Smith & Wesson .455 Hand Ejector Second Model (possibly issued by the Canadian Military) to shoot it all through.

The revolver is in very good, hardly used condition.

Mike Vinterino wrote an article about one that he has, mine has a later serial number than his and might be in slightly better condition.

.... well you did ask .....

Archived