SASS Wire Forum

Since Nylon is Outlawed

Try going with the rule of thumb... If you have to ask if you can use/modify something, then probably you shouldn't rule.

As far as your shirt? Some places will allow, some may not. Bring another shirt/boot/hat/pants/whatever to match, just in case the match officials doesn't like your clothing, you can correct the situation.

You may get a SDQ or two if you shot a stage or two with illegal clothing or gear.

Problem solved.

Blastmaster

FYI:

Illegal equipment penalties are not awarded backwards. If a shooter is found to have illegal equipment, no penalty will be assessed for the stage(s) already completed.

If a Range Officer elects not to penalize a shooter that has not complied with a rule, the effect is penalizing all other match participants that did comply.

RO1 p.15

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up a couple pairs of pants by Frontier Classics at a vendor recently and liked the look and feel of them. Very western, cowboy, etc. Tag said they were a combo of wool, polyester and cotton. Now are these illegal??? I think not and neither are the Cooler Cowboy Shirts. Some people are wearing cowboy boots with a leather foot and a vinyl shaft. Is this illegal? No. A little common sense is all that is necessary. I didn't say a lot, just a little!!! :wacko:

So in addition to a chrony to test loads, match directors now need to have on site a chemistry kit to determine the shooters shirt material?

Don't know, didn't imply that....

Some PM/MD can be sticklers for good/bad reasons.

Some PM/MD may get their back really bowed if they are being Bullied. Some PM/MD cave.

Hi Ruff,

Don't assume that because something is advertized in the Chronicle it is legal for SASS.

I remember an ad for suspenders with ammo loops being right under Tex's editorial. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Howdy Allie Mo, I did realize that advertising an item is not a SASS endorsement and the Cowboy Chronicle carries this disclaimer on their masthead page. My bad for not going a bit further in what I was alluding to.

The Cowboy Chronical does sell advertising and disgruntled customers are not condusive to the bottom line.

I think the old cowboy saying "never curse the camp cook when your mouth is full" might be applicable in this instance. Let's speculate that the Cowboy Chronicle has received thousands of dollars in advertising for this product & expects this account to continue.

Put in this context & you were a SASS official would you even address this issue with a snap decision or reasonably expect it would half life itself into extinction within several days? Please bear in mind that our sport is somebody else's business before answering.

For me, in my opinion, I think I'd take PWB's tactic & not get involved in an issue akin to debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin & hope the advertiser doesn't press for a ruling.

I'd just say in closing that I hope "cooler" heads prevail after much "sole searching" & folks think twice before "voting with their feet". Jeez, I just coldn't resist that last sentence. Regards

If the Cooler shirts are illegal, a whole lot of cowboys are not following the rules. I am not sure any match director would want to disqualify pards wearing a Cooler shirt some hot, sunny match day. They might not come back. Sometimes, when you aren't talking safety, you have to go with the flow.

So in addition to a chrony to test loads, match directors now need to have on site a chemistry kit to determine the shooters shirt material?

Not to mention checkung for elastic on underclothes, plastic or foam ear plugs, plastic lenses on shooting glasses, plastic name badges at matches, plastic buttons on shirts, elastic thread in socks, micarta grips, nylon and polyesther thread used to sew almost everything together.........OMG

Many of the clothes EVERY COWBOY WEARS are made of blends of poly, nylon and many other materials other than cotton.

Can't we just go shoot!

BB

Not to mention checkung for elastic on underclothes, plastic or foam ear plugs, plastic lenses on shooting glasses, plastic name badges at matches, plastic buttons on shirts, elastic thread in socks, micarta grips, nylon and polyesther thread used to sew almost everything together.........OMG

Many of the clothes EVERY COWBOY WEARS are made of blends of poly, nylon and many other materials other than cotton.

Can't we just go shoot!

BB

Don't forget wristwatch bands! I actually had a posse member confront me at Winter Range gathering wind to protest me for wearing a non leather wristwatch band. I did point out the same articles as you did above & he went away.

This whole costume correctness crusade kind of reminds me of yet another movie line.

"Pat Garret & Billy the Kid" L.Q. Jones is gutshot & going the hard way says to Pat Garret, "us old boys shouldn't be doing each other like this". And that is a fact.

Can't we just go shoot!

BB

HELL NO, not until you make it through inspection Mister. If you make it through inspection you will recieve your "decal of approval" which must be affixed to your hat with an approved fastner.

CS

HELL NO, not until you make it through inspection Mister. If you make it through inspection you will recieve your "decal of approval" which must be affixed to your hat with an approved fastner.

CS

SIR...YES SIR

Not at all, just saying lugged soles are legal. The attempt to rule them illegal failed.

But the "boots" mentioned in Blue Wolf's post are evidently illegal, are they not?

And combat boots are also not legal.

FYI:

RO1 p.15

PWB,

ROII pag 11. Talking about CC dress, says same thing about Bwestern. If these two catagorys do not have the required number of article of clothing, accutriments (sp) , or worn all the time, etc, then they get penalized as stated belown. It doesn't say that you can not go backwards,,,,,, but if you say you can not penalize backwards, then you can not!!! even though you know the shooter didn't have all the articles of clothing from previous stages within that day.

"Failure to comply will result in a penalty for not adhering to category guidelines. The first offence is a procedure, the second offence in the same match is a stage disqualification, and the third offence in the same match is a match disqualification."

That is kinda what I was going with.

ROI pg 15 talks about equipment, ROII page 11 talks about clothing.

No argument, can not penalize backwards,,,,,

regards,

Blastmaster

But the "boots" mentioned in Blue Wolf's post are evidently illegal, are they not?

Marauder,

You are correct. You can wear a lugged sole work boot that laces up. Doesn't make sense to me but I'll go with it until it gets changed.

Blue Wolf

Marauder,

You are correct. You can wear a lugged sole work boot that laces up. Doesn't make sense to me but I'll go with it until it gets changed.

Blue Wolf

Hi Blue Wolf,

Although I can find no evidence of lug soles before 1935, they were invented for safety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibram). So, that may be why the verbage was removed. I'm sure PWB would have the answer.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I am sensing a great disturbance in The Force...and a lack of focus. :rolleyes:

Correct as I understand it, those Roper boots were ruled illegal for the reason the manufacturer indicated they were tennis shoes, made from leather. Combat boots are clearly illegal.

I'm so confused now that I'm not even sure my socks and briefs are legal.....

Here is pictured the favorite boot of many in Classic Cowboy. In the opinion of the august body heretofore assembled (dats all y'all SASS WAHR ADDICKS)are these legal in the category?

Justin Kiltie Workboot

Here is pictured the favorite boot of many in Classic Cowboy. In the opinion of the august body heretofore assembled (dats all y'all SASS WAHR ADDICKS)are these legal in the category?

Justin Kiltie Workboot

Brother King,

You might want to ask on a new thread since this one is about nylon. Just saying.

BW

Justin Kiltie Workboot

Brother King,

You might want to ask on a new thread since this one is about nylon. Just saying.

BW

Justin Kiltie Workboot

Since this is a WAHR "voting issue", I'll refrain from posting the obvious answer until a consensus is reached.

;)

uhh.... you mean except for 1/2 the posts including the last 8-10? :rolleyes:

PWB,

ROII pag 11. Talking about CC dress, says same thing about Bwestern. If these two catagorys do not have the required number of article of clothing, accutriments (sp) , or worn all the time, etc, then they get penalized as stated belown. It doesn't say that you can not go backwards,,,,,, but if you say you can not penalize backwards, then you can not!!! even though you know the shooter didn't have all the articles of clothing from previous stages within that day.

"Failure to comply will result in a penalty for not adhering to category guidelines. The first offence is a procedure, the second offence in the same match is a stage disqualification, and the third offence in the same match is a match disqualification."

That is kinda what I was going with.

ROI pg 15 talks about equipment, ROII page 11 talks about clothing.

No argument, can not penalize backwards,,,,,

regards,

Blastmaster

Whoa there! How do you know the shooters didn't meet the requirements on earlier stages? If you knew, then why didn't you do something about it earlier? There are any number of things that might have taken place since the earlier stages... maybe the shooter changed something... I don't know, but the reason that the penalties DON'T go backwards is because you can not prove what happened at the earlier stages, but you can prove what is taking place at that point in time. Anything else is ONLY conjecture.

Snakebite

Justin Kiltie Workboot

Brother King, they're legal, but ya gotta cut off the Justin tab thingie, turn the kiltie upside down, and tie a period-correct bow knot. :P

Plus, be sure and carry a sample of the leather with you to all major matches for DNA testing.:huh:

yeah.... that's what I thought... you won't even call it on the SASS WAHR... how will you EVER call it if you're holding the timer? And even when the rule is called there just aren't many (if any) local MD's that will enforce right on up to EOT. Because, even there, most posses are made up of pards who have traveled a long way together.

Do you really think that an entire posse that has shot together for 3-5 years with the same exact makeup is ever going to call it? no... ain't gonna happen... and even if they did; they'd be dang sure that 4 bays down the other posses wouldn't call it.

Let's face it; these rules are largely unenforceable. Not because they're vague, IMHO they're just not going to get called in a game that is mostly about fun and where egos rule.

Brother King.... I'm sorry to get this, but these boots that you have been wearing are simply not SASS Legal.

Snakebite

34387.jpg?zm=800,800,1,0,0

Dangit! Well... what about those pumps you liked last week? ;) Besides, GUNZILLA could wear them and no one would be shocked.

Brother King.... I'm sorry to get this, but these boots that you have been wearing are simply not SASS Legal.

Snakebite

34387.jpg?zm=800,800,1,0,0

Looks like they would fit right in for BW tho, would go good with wooly chaps and a fancy shirt.

Archived