SASS Wire Forum

Since Nylon is Outlawed

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so confused now that I'm not even sure my socks and briefs are legal.....

Here is pictured the favorite boot of many in Classic Cowboy. In the opinion of the august body heretofore assembled (dats all y'all SASS WAHR ADDICKS)are these legal in the category?

Justin Kiltie Workboot

Hi Brother King,

As most folks are just messing with you, I'll see if I have the correct answer. I sure hope so. :blush::ph34r:

They look legal to me as the rule states. "Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO Lug”) soles." The i.e. means "that is to say" not "for example." They do look grip enhancing with those tiny grooves. HOWEVER, they don't look like lugs to me. Lugs look like deep notches in the sole that can be seen from the side. :unsure:

Regards,

Sister Allie :ph34r:;)

Whoa there! How do you know the shooters didn't meet the requirements on earlier stages? If you knew, then why didn't you do something about it earlier? There are any number of things that might have taken place since the earlier stages... maybe the shooter changed something... I don't know, but the reason that the penalties DON'T go backwards is because you can not prove what happened at the earlier stages, but you can prove what is taking place at that point in time. Anything else is ONLY conjecture.

Snakebite

What I said was more hypothetical in nature and was not based on real conditions. However it sure could happen 'if' the shooter was on your posse and he never did a Clark Kent and duck into a telephone booth for a costume change. :rolleyes: and you final woke up and smelled the coffee, counted noses and articles of clothing and discovered, the shooter was short of costume items. I though you could penalize backwards but PWB says you can not. Clear as mud now? :blush: If it could happen on your posse, then why wouldn't you believe the PM that came to you to make the call if a shooter on his posse shot numerous stages w/o all the required dress items?

BTW, I was on a posse this past weekend that a shooter had an illegal modifcation to his firearm. It wasn't until stage 4 that I noticed it while manning the ULT. Just one other person saw it too and put two & two together and reconized the illegal mod. Like me, the other pard only noticed it sometime after stage 2 or was it 3? I don't think the pard put the illegal mod on during the match. When asked, he confessed that the mod was installed weeks??? earlier. The situation was handled.

Blastmaster

Thought I'd chime in. I hope my reply doesn't cause the thread to be deleted. We "Vendors" are not supposed to "selling" on this forum. I hope this seen as only "clarification" on my part.

Before I put the Cooler Cowboy Shirt on the market, I contacted SASS and got their opinion and "APPROVAL" of the shirt as being legal. That was nearly four years ago.

Henley style shirts are on the approved list, if you dig into the rule book.

The fabric is 100% Polyester.

Furthermore it is 100% made in the USA. Fabric, buttons, thread, cut/sew in N.C.

Thanks to our many friends that we have made over the last three years.

Respectfully yours,

Six String Jimmy Murray SASS 84967

Proprietor, J. Hornaday Dry Goods/ The Cooler Cowboy Shirt

Thought I'd chime in. I hope my reply doesn't cause the thread to be deleted. We "Vendors" are not supposed to "selling" on this forum. I hope this seen as only "clarification" on my part.

Before I put the Cooler Cowboy Shirt on the market, I contacted SASS and got their opinion and "APPROVAL" of the shirt as being legal. That was nearly four years ago.

Furthermore it is 100% made in the USA. Fabric, buttons, thread, cut/sew in N.C.

Respectfully yours,

Fantastic! I know a couple pards that wear them and like 'em. Hope to have one someday. Thanks for the information... :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Respectfully yours,

Cotton shirts absorb perspiration and just stay wet. I own five of these Cooler Cowboy Shirts, along with three of their scarves, and they wick the perspiration more efficiently and provides a comfortable, cooling effect through evaporation. DO NOT wear with an undershirt.

For the hot, humid summers that we have here in the Ohio Valley (did I mention humid?), they are great to wear. You see more & more pards each month wearing them.

Be comfortable and have fun!

Polyester? Who cares. Move on.

I will give up my cooler shirt when they strip it off my dried dead hide.

Six String, while we got you here, is there ANY chance of your nifty shirts being offered with two pockets like a proper cowboy shirt should have any time in the foreseeable future. I LOVE my special order 2 pocket cooler shirt (except for the no-button sleeves and the skimpy neck hole) but my regular one with no pockets NEVER gets worn.

You may have heard the old expression: "handy as pockets on a shirt".

Cotton shirts absorb perspiration and just stay wet. I own five of these Cooler Cowboy Shirts, along with three of their scarves, and they wick the perspiration more efficiently and provides a comfortable, cooling effect through evaporation. DO NOT wear with an undershirt.

For the hot, humid summers that we have here in the Ohio Valley (did I mention humid?), they are great to wear. You see more & more pards each month wearing them.

Be comfortable and have fun!

Polyester? Who cares. Move on.

+1. They work great in the summer along the very humid Kansas/Missouri border. They are great to wear. Around here numerous shooters wear them. As was said earlier, they also work well in the winter with an undershirt, if you don't want to wear a vest.

I would rather see someone wear something cool that merely looks authentic, than see someone fall over from heatstroke while wearing something hot that is authentic. We are rightfully concerned about safety in SASS. In my opinion heat is a safety issue, and anything we can do to protect our shooters from suffering in excessive heat, while respectfully paying homage to our cowboy ancestors is absolutely OK.

I will give up my cooler shirt when they strip it off my dried dead hide.

Six String, while we got you here, is there ANY chance of your nifty shirts being offered with two pockets like a proper cowboy shirt should have any time in the foreseeable future. I LOVE my special order 2 pocket cooler shirt (except for the no-button sleeves and the skimpy neck hole) but my regular one with no pockets NEVER gets worn.

You may have heard the old expression: "handy as pockets on a shirt".

Lone Dog, while your interests include "seeking CAS women", you might want to refine that to "seeking CAS women that can sew". Then have the long shirt tail in the back cut off, make it into pockets, and add them to the one that you don't wear! :lol:

Cowboy ingenuity is a wonderful thing!

Har! Such a gem would indeed be rare.

Ye wuz a readin' my mind about using the long tail to make pockets out of. There is a shop here in town that could do it. Been meanin' to take it there just keep forgettin'.

there is no reason they cain't come from the factory with proper pockets attached.

You know, like a man's shirt should be made.

Talk to me Jimmy.

there is no reason they cain't come from the factory with proper pockets attached.

Most shirt pockets are left breast pockets, which if your are a left-handed shooter, when you lower the butt stock of your long guns off of your shoulder, it gets caught up on the pocket. Slows you down. So being a southpaw, the fact that Jimmy's shirts DO NOT have pockets is a plus from my point of view.

Do agree with an earlier statement, that the neck hole could be bigger in the larger sizes.

I was the same one sayin' the neck holes are cut for pencil necked geeks.

After so many years I have learned to miss my pockets with my buttstocks.

Well, most of the time...

I won't hardly buy a civilian (non cowboy) shirt w/o the requisite two pockets. Pockets on a man's shirt are like a woman's purse. Where ya gonna put yer readin' specs, yer cellphone, yer cigs, yer lighter, etc etc w/o 'em?

I guess ole SSJ ain't gonna chime back in about my "suggestions" for improvement to his product.

His last few e-mails says his new and improved wild rags are bigger.

I would sure hope so because I ordered two of the first ones and they were barely child size. Purdy and wicky but teenie!

I was the same one sayin' the neck holes are cut for pencil necked geeks.

After so many years I have learned to miss my pockets with my buttstocks.

Well, most of the time...

I won't hardly buy a civilian (non cowboy) shirt w/o the requisite two pockets. Pockets on a man's shirt are like a woman's purse. Where ya gonna put yer readin' specs, yer cellphone, yer cigs, yer lighter, etc etc w/o 'em?

I guess ole SSJ ain't gonna chime back in about my "suggestions" for improvement to his product.

His last few e-mails says his new and improved wild rags are bigger.

I would sure hope so because I ordered two of the first ones and they were barely child size. Purdy and wicky but teenie!

Since the fabric is poly..... you could 'melt' on (with branding iron from camp fire) another piece of fabric to form a pocket.... That would be something you as a lone rider could do your self and save the effort of trying to learn how to sew with needle and thread. :rolleyes:

Since the fabric is poly..... you could 'melt' on (with branding iron from camp fire) another piece of fabric to form a pocket.... That would be something you as a lone rider could do your self and save the effort of trying to learn how to sew with needle and thread. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you meant to say "poke himself with needle" vs learnin' to sew; everyone knows you can't reach an old dog new tricks! :P :P :P

Thanks to all that made comments about The Cooler Cowboy Shirt. I can say that all are noted and we are working on a model with sleeve buttons and larger neck/ collars including a pocket(s). I appreciate Dutch Wheeler's comment on the pocket. We get a lot of comments to "NOT" add them, as well.

Thanks for the Support and Friendship.

Sincerely,

Six String Jimmy Murray

Proprietor, J. Hornaday Dry Goods/The Cooler Cowboy Shirt

-_- Now lets see in the handbook it says "all clothing must be typical of the late 19th Century". That leaves a lot of lee way in dress as there were, besides the cowboys. Townies, lumbermen, loggers. Train folks ie., track layers, enginners, fire men brake men, conductors plus a whole lot of other folks etc. Anything that looks like something they wore would be legal it does not need to be just "cowboy". Yes, when you are shooting Classic Cowboy or B-Western they are specfic requerments. Oh, lets not forget the Indiansand sodbusters and the Anntabelium South.

^_^

Crosscut Jack

Archived